Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2011 20:16
here you go, a drum to keep your gas in

Life is not fair, so deal with it.
http://www.gusroundtable.com/

Attachments

Login to view attachments
sadsack
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2011 20:18 Edited at: 24th Feb 2011 23:11

PrimalBeans
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2011 20:31
I think it looks good... though the scratches seem too fat for the barrel and the barrel itself looks kind of odd shaped (But can i say in a unique and kind of cool way??) I like it.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2011 23:19
too huge? nah, those make perfect sense. I would like too see less of them and more small ones

as in loads of small scratches and some huge ones here and there.

[Q]uik, Quiker than most
Camouflage Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
um no, i have to extremely disagree with you there quik, primal's right, the texture you slapped on there sadsack is way to large, you gotta scale that down to make it look more natural, and there is a massive seam as well, I would fix that if I were you. And the barrel does have an odd shape, the bulges are way to...well bulgy, bring them in a little or bring the rest of the body out

banner.jpg
sadsack
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2011 01:32
The textture came from a drum, yes, it does havea odd shape so did the one I got the texture from. But think you i will make another one with the right shape and a smaller texture.
thank you.
renny

sadsack
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2011 01:59
well here is the new one, just like 10000 other one.
but that is how life is
renny

Attachments

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2011 03:06
Get in there with the clone brush in photoshop, make it less obvious that you just tiled the texture down the side of the drum. Also work with where there would realistically be more rust and scratches. Sure you may have gotten the texture from a real photo of a drum, but that doesnt mean that drum represents what we as humans think of as real looking. What I mean is, when we know something is fake, such as a 3D model on a computer, we spend much more time trying to figure out what looks unrealistic, and in doing this we compare what we're looking at with what we know to be true in real life. The fact is, a typical drum left on it's own to rust would develop much more rust below the ribs than above due to the water running off the drum, there would also be areas where the actual paint is gone instead of just a brown rust, in these areas you'll find more of a greyish white. Work these into places like the edges of the cap of the drum where you would imagine it would be getting a lot of use and thus the paint would ware off faster. Play with colour as well, tone down the saturation of the drum more and more as it gets closer to the top, this will mimic the natural discolouration of sunlight.

Think about what the drum heald, add possible oil marks from the cap going down the side of the drum. Finally, slap on a label of some sort, warning or caution stickers usually work well, and be sure to erode the label just as much as the drum (tear it, fade it, peel it off a bit, you get the idea).

The point is, a lot of people tend to skimp on texture detail just because it "looks" like the concept they were modeling from. Lets say I decided to model a chair from my dining room. Assume, for example, that I spilt some paint on the chair when I was painting the cieling of the dining room one day last year. If I was going to model this chair, would I put the splat of red paint on it? No, because although that splat may be realistic to the chair in question, it isnt to 99% of the other chairs out there, and so it will be questioned.

Just something to keep in mind.
PrimalBeans
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2011 03:09 Edited at: 24th Feb 2011 03:16
it looks like you took the same texture and duplicated it onto the uvcoords of the barrel. What i would do is: in an image editor, change the attributes of the image to double your texture height, then create a mirror copy the texture on the vertical axis and place it underneath the original part in the new space created by adjusting the attributes (depending on what program your using this may require using an additional layer and merging it down...) From there add variety to the bottom half so that it doesnt look like a perfect mirror of the top half. This should eliminate the seem youve created in the middle of the barrel by duplicating the image in your uv coords. If you like i could give you a visual explanation when i get off work.

Edit Ruccus has a good tip as well. Using photo texture can be a good thing if used properly... a photographed texture is not always going to work for your model 100% of the time...(In fact it rarely will.) Use an image editor to tailor it to fit what you need. another thing you could do is make it tileable by ofsetting it and blending the resulting seem then duplicate it and add detail and varity to the bottom half.

Edit: Looking at it again i can also see that the top has the same texture pattern as the sides. Ill whip somthing up when i get home to show you what i would do.

sadsack
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2011 23:10
Thank you, I will try to do better.
renny

sadsack
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2011 23:11
well this is it, the last one,have to move on much work that have to be done.
renny

Attachments

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2011 23:51
that.. didnt... make it any better iam afraid... is there any logic begind it? why is 90% of it..yelloworangebrownish?

[Q]uik, Quiker than most
PrimalBeans
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2011 05:59
its called paint quik sheesh... lol... no i have to agree to an extent. It does look better... but well, it looks like you still have the same problem on the top.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-19 06:33:25
Your offset time is: 2024-05-19 06:33:25