Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Music & Sound FX / Most popular surround sound format?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2011 02:07
What is the most popular surround sound format being used these days?

Also, if you create audio meant for high end surround sound, will the audio still at least send the audio left and right on a two speaker set-up? Will the two speaker set-up miss out on the audio meant for other speakers or will it send it to the two speakers?
PrimalBeans
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2011 20:28
Yeah the sound gets mixed to the available channels. Im not an expert though so im assuming that the mixer is what determines what signals go were.

SH4773R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2011 10:58
I think mp3 is most popular.

My software never has bugs. It just develops random features.
That Guy John
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2011 19:21
By surround sound formats I mean this.
Butt monkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2011 19:38
I guess it depends what you're doing, but I'd say that the most common surround setup is 5.1 - don't quote me on that, and seeing as Dolby Digital is used on all DVDs, that might be the may popular format. That's a wild stab in the dark though.

A surround track played on a stereo system will not send every signal to the stereo speakers, it will just miss out the signals intended for the back etc, else the likes of surround sound automated panning would completely fail. Which speaker signals are sent to is determined during mixing.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 12:13:33
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 12:13:33