Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / 3D Studio Max Export

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I have a simple editable poly with a bend modifier. I have animated this and am exporting this using pandasoft directX .x exporter. When I load using DarkBASIC I can't get any animation to play from the object. Does anybody know what I could be doing wrong? I have also tried exporting the model with different animation setting for the exporter.
Ed at Thoughtwire Software
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2011 12:10
panda directx isn't such a great exporter. I use Xporter which also allows you to import .x as well.
I've attached it to this post, just throw it into your plugins folder then try using it

www.thoughtwire.co.uk
3D Modeller and Animator

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Kiwifranky
Years of Service
User Offline
HI,

I have the same problem and I am interested if you have been successful!

Please tell us in the thread.

Franky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2011 19:08
I tested the exporter that I attached to my previous post, the animation works fine, however, in the export settings you have to set the animation sampling value to 'True'. If you haven't downloaded it here is a link for you https://forumfiles.thegamecreators.com/download/2167172

www.thoughtwire.co.uk
3D Modeller and Animator
Kiwifranky
Years of Service
User Offline
Isn't there a general mistake...

You are using a bend modifier which affects the mesh structure in 3dmax. This can be animated there, but is this information exported into an x-file?

I think you have to use bones to get a mesh animated.

Am I wrong?

Franky
Dimension
Years of Service
User Offline
Currently I am using 3D Studio Max 2011. From what I have found out this plugin is for the 2010 version. I will try downloading a trial of 2010 and let you know how it went when it is downloaded.
Dimension
Years of Service
User Offline
I tried exporting using the Xporter plugin and then importing it and it seems to loose the animation. I am working on making a Solitaire game. I'm sort of new when it comes to animating bones but is it possible to use bones to bend the cards?
Kiwifranky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2011 14:21 Edited at: 26th Feb 2011 16:52
HI,

funny thing... I am writing a Poker game in DirectX and also wanted to bend a card!

It looks like there are no Frames exported, so will only get the original Mesh.
I tried different settings like "Sub Frame Hierarchie", "Top Frame only" and so on... I cannot find any Frames that contain the modified (bend) mesh.

At the end I found a workaround:
I bend the card step by step and export it with "Top Frame only"-Setting, using Panda.
At the end I get "CardMesh_0.x" - "CardMesh_29.x". In my render processing I then take the mesh which matches the "reveal-factor".

Maybe a pro can us explain if there is a trick to do it better?!

So long

Franky

(hope my english is not too bad)
PrimalBeans
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2011 09:07
well this might be a terribly inefficient way to do this but it is possible to combine the results of the .x results to one file using notepad.

One other thing that crossed my mind with this set up as well is the fact that with such a simple object you may be able to create a model like this from pure text... or even in your code itself... and just load images to it....??

Dimension
Years of Service
User Offline
What I have been trying is called baking the animation to the object. This process collapse the stack and saves the animation at the vertex level. I have seen this done online. I just haven't been able to find a plugin that works for modifiers yet.
Oolite
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2011 13:15
Panda Exporter does not support vertex animation.
Panda exporter randomizes the vertex order (as far as I know, but don't quote me on this) when exporting a .X file
out so even if it supported vertex animation then it wouldn't work.

The best way is to rig the card with bones, an easy task to do and i've already highlighted the best export options for Panda in a previous thread
Another way is to export each frame of the animation and write some code that morphs between the different states of the X files, pointlessly long and expensive though.

Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2011 14:44
Quote: "I tried exporting using the Xporter plugin and then importing it and it seems to loose the animation."

You have to change the value of the 'Animation sampling' value to true. This is for 2010, I use 2011 and it works fine and does not loose the animation. Also yes, it has to be an Editable Poly/Mesh with no modifiers for the export to work properly. If you want to animate it in external programs then you must rig it. I hope this solves your problem

www.thoughtwire.co.uk
3D Modeller and Animator

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-19 07:39:26
Your offset time is: 2024-05-19 07:39:26