Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Loading character Models

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I have been using DBP for about 1 month now and ive run into a bit of a problem with models.

I made a model in poser (which is ridiculously high polys) which i then saved as a .3DS and imported into blender to reduce poly count using the Decimate tool. That bit is all well and good but after i save it as a .3DS again and try loading it in DBP and run the game it instantly crashes.

So my question is, am i doing something wrong here? What do you have to do to make models that work in Dark basic (the ones from the Dark Matter package work fine), and any suggestions for making good looking low poly models for games.

Thank you in advance
Neodelito
Years of Service
User Offline
i have same problem using other exporters,
1.- try to export to .x
2.- or better, load in anim8or (free), and then export to 3ds.
3.- if you have milkshape export using directx mode.

PrimalBeans
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2011 01:37
Im not so sure about all the details of the exporters... im pretty sure that the .3ds isnt fully functional... .x is much easier to work with.

Infinity8
Years of Service
User Offline
okay, i have run into another problem. if i make something in blender and export to .x it runs fine in my game, however the things i import from poser into blender in, then convert to .x format after reducing polygons instantly crashes my game with the message "The 3D object could not be loaded at line 78"....

sooo... anything else i am doing wrong here?
Master Man Of Justice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2011 16:35 Edited at: 28th Feb 2011 16:36
.x is tailormade for game importing. It supports animation which is crucial for dynamic objects.

.3ds was the first format by Autodesk which was made for transferring between different modeling programs (which it does fairly well because its a pretty universal format).

.obj was made for archiving models
^A plugin made for commonly used browsers has been made to display .obj in the browser http://www.3dmlw.com/

Notes:
3ds: Doesnt support accurate vertex normals.
3ds: Maximum vert and polygon count is 65536
3ds: Must be converted to triangles before export(autoconverted)

Obj: No compression
Obj: Supports Higher level polygons. (Quads,Quints,etc...)
Obj: Can hold multiple named objects

Following taken from:http://www.toymaker.info/Games/html/3d_models.html
What is the .x file format?

This is a Microsoft model format for use with DirectX 9. Its not the most simple format and it is probably not the best. Normally when writing a game you will define your own format and use the 3DS Max SDK (or other modelling package) to create your own exporter. However the .x format allows you to quickly get objects loaded. The advantages of using .x are that there are exporters for Max and other packages and DirectX has a number of helper functions for working with the loaded mesh data. Note that DirectX 10 and 11 do not contain support for .x files directly, instead they use a sdkmesh format that they provide functions for and a tool to convert from .x or .obj to.

I hope this helped.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-19 07:42:41
Your offset time is: 2024-05-19 07:42:41