Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / 3D WTF Moments

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2011 22:19
This made me laugh. Simple boolean operation goes wrong...

I'm sure other modelers have had some of these things happen to them. Share any screens if you have them.

Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2011 00:14
I made this scene one time, from a file that someone else had opened, made nothing, and saved. and I kept getting angrier and angrier that there was no "view cube" (a 3ds max 11 feature)

I dug for a good 15 minutes through all of the options, making quadruple sure it was enabled, and looking up problems why it wouldn't show, before I realized I was viewing through a camera.

imageflock.com/img/1272671763.jpg[/img]
skype = isaacpreston. I want to talk to YOU
lazerus
Years of Service
User Offline
The mecha i've been working on, I was happily extruding out the mesh and working it over when i noticed a wierd seam on what should be a flat face. So i drag out the edge vert, and theres about 50 polies all wrapped around each other in what should be a flat surface

Turns the bridge tool had made inside polies which must have been caught when i was extruding around, causing a black hole of mesh inside it. You could'nt see it unless you 'dragged open' the verts. Kind of strange.

PrimalBeans
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2011 04:57
one thing i always used to forget to do when using a mirror modifier was turn on clipping... when i would apply the modifier and... err say i wanted to smooth something it would create a big whole in the mesh... not a biggy but it was always frustrating to have to go fix something that should have been ready a few steps ago.. these days i usually 'test pull' vertices in spots that i might have missed...

Azunaki
Years of Service
User Offline
lol i use cinema 4D. and i was made a guy. as i was adding clothing to him. i used the symmetry function to make it symmetrical. well there is a cloth function that will collide and make it fit like clothing. well it doesn't work while its a symmetry object. so i made it editable and added the cloth tag and collider tags. and had it fit to the object. only find out that the i didn't make sure the seam was closed down the center of the object and got to watch as the cloak thing i made slide in half and fell off. it was rather hilarious at the time.

[url]http://myportfolio.x10hosting.com/[url]
visit my site.(still in progress)
Camouflage Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
wondering why the hell there were hairs all over my model until i realized I had "show face normals" checked

banner.jpg
Ed at Thoughtwire Software
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2011 11:54
Bone rigging a face, setting position and look-at-constraints up, wondering why the hell there were 200 lines all around the mesh. I'd forgotten to uncheck 'viewline length absolute'

www.thoughtwire.co.uk
3D Modeller and Animator
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2011 17:05
Ah, this gave me a laugh this morning. Model rig FAIL:

Azunaki
Years of Service
User Offline
lol did you weight the legs to his head or something?

[url]http://myportfolio.x10hosting.com/[url]
visit my site.(still in progress)
Travis Gatlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2011 06:00
One time i was rigging a character i made and after i tested the rig out and everything was fine, until got to one of the arms, when i tried to rotate the Shoulder it started to pull the face and looked like my character was melting.

kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2011 18:26 Edited at: 18th Apr 2011 18:26
Josh you started using TrueSpace, or it's just for animating ?

Quote: "One time i was rigging a character i made and after i tested the rig out and everything was fine, until got to one of the arms, when i tried to rotate the Shoulder it started to pull the face and looked like my character was melting."

I think that problem is kinda ... popular since it happens to every wrongly rigged character . Happend to me too

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2011 20:26
I've always used truespace. Before that gamespace. Only program I've used since 3ds Max in the college days.

PrimalBeans
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2011 13:18
Quote: "One time i was rigging a character i made and after i tested the rig out and everything was fine, until got to one of the arms, when i tried to rotate the Shoulder it started to pull the face and looked like my character was melting."
betcha figured it out...but it prob had to do with verts being assigned to the wrong group. In blender i like to maually select verts for each group. Not too hard if your mesh is clean... This is even more important if you export to dx too... all verts need to be assigned to a bone group. If not you get weird results. Some of the other methods are so good at this... at least from this point of view...

Travis Gatlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2011 03:53
i found out that the range on that bone was too big and i just decreased the range and everything was fine.

Design Runner
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2011 02:34 Edited at: 5th Jun 2011 02:35
Everything was going so well

Attachments

Login to view attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-11 07:22:21
Your offset time is: 2024-05-11 07:22:21