Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Sprite commands?

Author
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2011 17:58
Will it have all the sprite commands that dbp have ?
Just wondering as iam prototyping an idea for an doom like engine in dbp using sprites.
I got the idea after reading the latest news letter where you wrote that it only will support 2d in the beginning.
The work is going really well so far!
But i use almost all of the commands for sprites like size,offset and paste etc.
Could you give an list of sprite commands?
Iam currently working on how to draw floors and ceilings and are currently restricting it to one floor.
I already have an idea for how to implement multiple floors but are waiting with the insertion of it.
i currently only have 4 directions of movement but already have the basics for 8.
I do this just for fun as i dont have an release date for the kit or anything?

I dont want to make the prototype to complicated until i know how the app kit will work out?
Will be harder then to convert the code!

And this engine dosent look good on an big pc screen and are intended for smaller iphone screens.
And yes i know that my spelling sucks!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2011 18:20
I like these sorts of games, in fact Undercroft is my favorite iPod game. As far as I know, there will be sprite UV offsetting, so you could possibly use that to distort the walls. Although it might be worth having a look at this site:

http://captive.atari.org/

Captive was a great 16-bit game in this style. The website has lots of technical details, even level generation.

Health, Ammo, and bacon and eggs!
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2011 09:16 Edited at: 12th Mar 2011 09:40
Thanks van!
You are one of the few that understand my crappy spelling and texting .
Just one of the answers iam looking for!
Wath new commands will it have compared to dbp!

Quote: "The website has lots of technical details, even level generation."

Thanks van
This will help me alot!

Quote: "there will be sprite UV offsetting"

Iam really dumb with som game making terms
How does that work ?
Is it possible to move the corners of an box sprite so the box looks wedged ?
In that case is my work already outdated and neads to be done with the appkit instead!
Would save me alot of work and make it look alot better!

ps..
i included the latest work where iam still working on the floor and ceiling rendering!
But i think i got it with the walls now?
Its the unoptimized floor and ceiling rendering that eats alot of fps currently

Edited.....
Captive uses an other way of drawing the world!
I use segments where 3 segments makes upp an wall segment.
Iam doing this as iam planning on 8 directions to view and not only 4.
I will try to put upp an limited prototype to show the way i draw an map tomorrow or monday?
Depends on how much i tear apart the code by then
I have rewritten the code 4 times already

Attachments

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2011 12:59
Unfortunately Lee hasn't done much with the sprites yet AFAIK, so I'm not sure what commands there will be, but I know that there will be UV coord offsetting.
A sprite will have UV coords from 0.0 to 1.0, which relates to the texture itself as you probably already know. I'm thinking that if you too say, the top right and bottom right vertexes, and set the Y value of the UV coordinate then it would distort the sprite. That should work as long as it doesn't repeat the texture. Hopefully there will be a lot of sprite features, as OpenGLES is actually a bit better for 2D than DX. GL could certainly make irregular shaped sprites, like passing the 4 sets of sprite coordinates, a bit like a DBPro memblock but fast.

I like the way you've done the walls, reminds me of the early 3D games in the arcades, in fact there was a lightgun game that used a very similar look. One benefit is that you won't use much graphics memory, but it will be slower. There are a lot of little tricks, like using sprite UV coords to draw the floor and ceiling, but they only really work for 4 directions. One cool thing about Captive was how fast you could move around, using the number pad it was possible to scoot about the level - much nicer than using a mouse to click the movement arrows.

If I find out any more about the sprite system I'll let you know.

Health, Ammo, and bacon and eggs!
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2011 15:36 Edited at: 12th Mar 2011 15:59
Quote: "OpenGLES is actually a bit better for 2D than DX"

The only reason i looked back on wath tgc whas doing is the app kit using open gl
I stopped using dbp almost a year ago and started using unity instead.
But i had a hard time with unity as it feels like a messed up klick and play with advanced scripting?
The appkit is very intresting because of all formats that can be supported thanks to open gl.
I hope they will add ps3,wii,ds and psp later on as they have alot of smaller games already with wiiware and psp minis etc.
The ps3 have the benefit of also being able to play psp minis games that instantly makes the market larger for an support for psp minis games.
They are already porting a few iphone games over to the psp minis format.
But i fully understand lee and the others to think small in the begining

Quote: "If I find out any more about the sprite system I'll let you know."

Thanks !
Quote: "I like the way you've done the walls,"

Iam trying to make them repeat them self nicely with as little resources as possible.
Now i have to fix the issues with the floor and ceiling.

I will make an post in the wip forum later when i have something working to show!

ps..
the white border marks the render window so that i know when optimizing the code.

Edited......
After 5 minutes of programming so did i solve wath i worked for 3 days with before
I think i got an good feel of distance drawing on it now?

Everything is about 322 lines of code now
Time to optimize it some more!

Attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 00:59:49
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 00:59:49