Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Size of blender models...?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
So...

I'm attempting to make custom wep's,arms, etc. for my current project, but, and this is a big but, how long should a standard assault rifle be, for instance? I honestly have no idea how big the models I'm making are... Which I suspect is a problem.

Thanks to anyone who can give me a hand here,

Uber
kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2011 21:30
Well, wings is making very small objects, but i suppose yours are very big ( like max's ), can't you make a cube, export it & load to DBPro to check it out ?

UberXDominus
Years of Service
User Offline
Don't have DB...
That Guy John
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2011 00:02
load the model of the current weapons you do have into your modeling program for referrence.
UberXDominus
Years of Service
User Offline
I have blender... I thought I couldn't upload .x models into blender as there is no converter?
PrimalBeans
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2011 05:23
there isnt yet for 2.54 and the importer for 2.49 is crap. Im not sure what you need exactly but the size of the .blend depends on what it contains. A mesh with uv coords is going to be larger then one without, same with meshes with armature and animation data. As for .x exported from blender youll see a large difference in file size when you compare .x with uv coord and without. This is because of the differences in uv mapping systems between .blend and .x. Blender uses face data rather then edge data to calulate uvs so in most circumstances the conversion creates duplicate verts to create a correct uv map. This may be avoided if you create an unmapped mesh in blender export to .x and then uvmap it in a different uv editor like lythUnwrap though ive never personally tried this. Basically between the two file types the same details are stored (to and extent) the difference is going to be in file type details (blender is a binary) and .x is a txt type code. Both formats have similar sizes when compared to the data they hold. For example some of my animated textured characters have traslation rotation scale data for bones, vertex group data, uv coords(with duplicate verts for .x) material data, and other goodies. Blender usually has a bit extra as well such as scene data, texture data (if textures are packed in the .blend), partical data, render data, etc... but for most game mesh applications not much of this is going to apply. So for the most part .blend is going to be a larger file but the .x export is going to be comparable. Anyway hopefully some of this is helpful.

That Guy John
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2011 19:51
Primal,

I think he is referring to scaled size not file size.
starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Try these tutorials first with blender.
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=154558&b=24

PrimalBeans
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2011 04:12
lol my bad... hahaha

UberXDominus