Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Some new work of mine

Author
User Banned
Posted: 25th Mar 2011 07:43
I will Show some new work, just one to show now but Have made alot and will show more soon.

4,000 polies
game ready
animated

my signature keeps being erased by a mod So this is my new signature.
lazerus
Years of Service
User Offline
Wireframes please

Looks good though

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2011 16:39
Looks good, although there are some issues with proportions. The only way to get better than you are now is to practice and be super-critical with proportions and texture quality. I think it's a bit like the transition from novice to skilled. If you keep improving, then you can go onto professional quality modelling, if you accept that as the best work you can do, then it's the best work you'll ever do. I think you could make the push, and tighten up those skills to the point where you can make well proportioned human characters at a high quality level.

I hope you understand what I'm trying to say...

For example, the eyebrows. It's an alien character so nobody can say that those eyebrows are too basic, because they might well be spot on. But we all know that aliens are often a proportion cock-up cop-out, just like making somethings head big and calling it cartoon. The hands are another weak point IMO too. But say you were hyper-critical about them, like you decide that the character has to look human, the eyebrows have to look right, the hands have to have the right proportions. You would study some anatomy, take the time to get the proportions and sizes as exact as you can - but then the model would look about 5 times more professional. Eyes and eyebrows, hands, noses, mouths.... it's where amateur modellers become pro.

Now I'm not a great modeller, I can do mechanical things like guns but organic modelling tends to have to be created mechanically for me to do anything like a decent job. But one program that I really like is Makehuman - it creates high polygon human manequins. Too high polygon counts to use in a game, but you get a really well proportioned model nontheless. What I would do is use Makehuman (it's free and easy to use) to make a manequin in the proportions I need, then use it as a guide, or even use it to render the normal map. But anyway, it's really useful to have a manequin to base a model on, less guesswork and less need for concept art. The Makehuman polygon structure and complexity makes it less than useful for direct media creation (much like poser), but for making guideline models it's damn useful, I wouldn't try modelling a humanoid character without it.

Health, Ammo, and bacon and eggs!
Daniel wright 2311
User Banned
Posted: 25th Mar 2011 19:54 Edited at: 25th Mar 2011 19:55
Thanks guys, I'll work on that,The proportions On this modle are well, formed this way out of my own imagination. I use refences to modle with so all my proportions are always spot on. Not in any of my early work but now. But I will work on what you say Van B.

Quote: "I think you could make the push, and tighten up those skills to the point where you can make well proportioned human characters at a high quality level."

Thank you, I will keep working on it, I am always looking for new and better ways to improve.

Daniel wright 2311
User Banned
Posted: 25th Mar 2011 20:04
Alien head I created using face loop modeling, Still not finished, am adding more detail to high poly.

HERE IS THE REFERENCE IMAGE I USED

Daniel wright 2311
User Banned
Posted: 25th Mar 2011 22:45
And the last one for now

hand
420 polies

henry ham
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2011 13:43
hi dan good to have you back

cheers henry

Daniel wright 2311
User Banned
Posted: 26th Mar 2011 18:29
Quote: "hi dan good to have you back"

Thank you, Looks to me this place is a little empty or is it just the last couple days?

Daniel wright 2311
User Banned
Posted: 27th Mar 2011 06:51 Edited at: 27th Mar 2011 09:25
I figured I would post My new project as I am creating it here and there, here is my new head I am in the process of creating.

A little while longer

And now

A little longer later

Daniel wright 2311
User Banned
Posted: 27th Mar 2011 11:06
And at last im done with the first stage, now on to bed, then I will add the facial detail.

Decneo
Years of Service
User Offline
nice dan..

Personal 3D Modeler for your game.
=adamW=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2011 19:44
Just a suggestion to get better at modelling characters. Try and join a life drawing class, they help alot for proportion and form. Life drawing helped me alot and ive just been to 6 sessions!. It can also be alot of fun as long as you approach it in a mature way..

kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2011 20:39
Gooood. Why i suck so badly at modelling ? I wanna do something good atleast . It's very nice... althrought i ofcourse can't make it...

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks ok Dan. However in that last few pictures judging by the reference you used, a lot of features are off, like the eyebrows are more pronounced, and also the top of the nose pinches in too much whereas in the reference the nose doesn't really pinch in at all, as he has a rather wide nose bridge, also he has a very prominent jawline whereas your sinks in to quickly it needs to be widened; in contrast however his chin needs to be less wide as his chin is smaller then your models. Also can I see the face models wireframe? Just to look at the layout of your edge loops. Other then that Dan it is looking like a good step forward.

Daniel wright 2311
User Banned
Posted: 6th Apr 2011 22:16 Edited at: 6th Apr 2011 22:17
Quote: "Looks ok Dan. However in that last few pictures judging by the reference you used, a lot of features are off, like the eyebrows are more pronounced, and also the top of the nose pinches in too much whereas in the reference the nose doesn't really pinch in at all, as he has a rather wide nose bridge, also he has a very prominent jawline whereas your sinks in to quickly it needs to be widened; in contrast however his chin needs to be less wide as his chin is smaller then your models. Also can I see the face models wireframe? Just to look at the layout of your edge loops. Other then that Dan it is looking like a good step forward."

I know, I belive and I could be wrong but I think Its becouse I started with a line with the eys and the mouth then closed everything out with that, the nose I just cant get right so im trying a diffrent method. Im starting with a spere so the faces are all mached up with the whole head in the end making it easer to form. Thanks for the good comments.

Daniel wright 2311
User Banned
Posted: 15th Apr 2011 21:36
I have started on a new approch, I am now box modling, but now I have started to use bolth box modling combined with spline modling, here is the diffrence.

henry ham
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2011 01:59
looking better mate,but you still have a fair few ngons try to keep to quads as much as you can. that said a few tris here & there wont hurt.also look into edge loops this will help you if you want to animate your heads.

heres a screenie of a head i did a time back,it may help you

cheers henry

Daniel wright 2311
User Banned
Posted: 16th Apr 2011 03:02
Hey henry, I see where your edge loops are placed around you mouth and nose, I try this out on this head to see if I can loop my edges like this, it will be some work but ill let you know, thanks for the picture.

Daniel wright 2311
User Banned
Posted: 10th May 2011 21:30
Here is a new project im working on for fpsc, they will be new monsters for game play. Im using spline modeling

Mazz426
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2011 21:39
daniel, what you have so far is rather decent, however I would start by saying get proper references, the refences you've used so far are other models and anatomically incorrect drawings, which is not a good habit to get into. For instance on the above reference the head is far too small and on the previous the ears are too high, it's small things like that that make models appear less professional.

If I were you I would try and get your hands on a book called classic human anatomy by Valerie L. Winslow this is a very useful book on anatomy and you should be able to order it from borders, blackwells or amazon.

lazerus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2011 23:21 Edited at: 10th May 2011 23:24
As Mazz said that reference image is rather iffy in alot of ways.

Id reccomend Bridgemans complete works' used my orginals so much i re-bought the re-realesed edition because i love them so much only £12 (or something along those lines) for a complete anatomy guide. Mazz's book reference is pretty dam good too, focus's more on figuritive bodys while bidgeman's is contructive anatomy. Get both if you can

Daniel wright 2311
User Banned
Posted: 10th May 2011 23:51
Yea,thease images are way off, I saw this myslef but can not find any thing real good to work with trully.

@lazerus Ill look into that book, thanks for the sugestions and Ill keep working on it.

henry ham
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2011 01:11
if you need human reference theres only one place to go http://www.3d.sk/ its not free but worth every penny

cheers henry

Daniel wright 2311
User Banned
Posted: 11th May 2011 20:30
@henry ham

Why dont you make a video on how you get such a perfect flow with your head around your mouths to mach up with the rest of the mesh? I have tryed and tryed to search with nothing on good flow.

Mazz426
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2011 20:46
there are a great deal of tutorials available on edge flow regarding heads, just search for it on youtube you'll find some rather decent ones or head over to gnomon, im pretty certain they ahve a lot of tutorials on that exact topic

Daniel wright 2311
User Banned
Posted: 11th May 2011 21:06
@Mazz426

My heads have real good flow, I dont think you understood me o what I was asking.

There is no videos in 3ds max on how to make a head with good flow around the mouth and eyes then connect the flow around the whole head with the same flow around the head. his edges flow all the way around the whole head ten connect to the egdes around the mouth and eyes. this is what I need, there is no such videos, I know, I have alredy searched.

Mazz426
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2011 21:34 Edited at: 11th May 2011 21:45
Daniel wright 2311
I understood what you were asking, I dont think you understood what I meant, the mouth and eyes are part of the head and therefore the heads edge flow determines theirs.
You start modelling a head from a cube or base, you don't model the mouth and then the eyes and then connect everything toghether, doing it that way can easily lead to anatomical issues, being forced to use Ngons or tris etc.

here is a video of what you are looking for that took less than 2 minutes to find

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYAWAK1_6Gw&feature=related

and here is the first of 5 tutorials (in 3dsmax) that also show edge flow for the head i.e. the eyes and mouth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ledSh551Wgw&feature=related

and here is a video that shows perfect edge flow on heads

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac4qV2uIF3Q&feature=related

all it required to find all of these was searching head flow tutorial on youtube

Daniel wright 2311
User Banned
Posted: 11th May 2011 22:01 Edited at: 11th May 2011 22:02
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYAWAK1_6Gw&feature=related

that is not a tutt nore did it explain anything, it is a speed video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ledSh551Wgw&feature=related

that to is just a video set to music with no explinations in it,not a good choice to show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac4qV2uIF3Q&feature=related

that is not even close to a tutt, not even close, not one link here you gave me is a real tutt, if you are going to try to prove anything at least give real links to real tutts.thanks

Camouflage Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
wow, maybe if you werent so worried about whether its a timelapse or not you might actually learn something... u can learn a lot from timelapses if you actually pay attention and dont whine about it like a child

banner.jpg
henry ham
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2011 01:19
Quote: "@henry ham

Why dont you make a video on how you get such a perfect flow with your head around your mouths to mach up with the rest of the mesh? I have tryed and tryed to search with nothing on good flow."

sorry dan im crap at making tuts i cant get across what im doing

Quote: "that is not even close to a tutt, not even close, not one link here you gave me is a real tutt, if you are going to try to prove anything at least give real links to real tutts.thanks"

i must admit i find timelapse hard to follow but maybe im just to old to keep up with them

Quote: "wow, maybe if you werent so worried about whether its a timelapse or not you might actually learn something... u can learn a lot from timelapses if you actually pay attention and dont whine about it like a child"

grow up mate comments like that dont help anyone. he simply asked for a bit of help,not everyone can keep up with timelapse vids.why not use your livestream channel to show him how its done ?

cheers henry

lazerus
Years of Service
User Offline
That first timelapse Vid is one of the best ive seen in a while. If the guy had set up the model for hard surface smoothing to create hard angles instead of global smoothing, it would really have brought out the stylisation. But yeah use the pause button and look at what there doing, copy unpause, pause copy. Worlds greatest tutorial as you can see everything happening and unfolding in front of you.

Daniel wright 2311
User Banned
Posted: 12th May 2011 01:44
@Camouflage Studios

I was not whining so im not shure what you are saying there, I was asking for a tutt, not a time laps video. I know how to modle,lol,I can modle just about anything, All I was asking for was a better way to aline my edges so they all are alined like henry hams Is all,His edges flow all the way around the head.

As far as others trying to act superier to my modeling skills and telling me to watch a time laps video is funny to me.Thease video are all the wrong way to do it any how as far as henry hams head models are concerned any how so your post did me no good.

Next time you post do it with a little more adult like please.

@henry ham, I do think I found a good tutt and am following it now, its not a video but I think it will help with my edges and ngons, thanks.

Camouflage Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
alright you want some info here you go

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80005

priceless info there

banner.jpg
starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Daniel good job on your models. For the head flow is this something you were thinking?

If so go to this site and they have alot of good tutorials. I think Cp or someone showed this site to me and it is great. It helped me with how to use less detail in the mess and more in the texture. I hope it helps you.

Daniel wright 2311
User Banned
Posted: 12th May 2011 18:05
@Camouflage Studios , thank you for the good link, it helped, my mesh head looks better then it ever had ever, its clean all the way around now.It fells good to finaly make a head that is almost perfect.Ill show a picture soon.

@starmind 001, thanks

Yea, Ive been on the site and seen some videos, some of them are ok, thanks for the help.

Daniel wright 2311
User Banned
Posted: 12th May 2011 21:28 Edited at: 12th May 2011 21:29
Ok, here is my new mesh, I am starting on his body now, I will show Updates here and there. My edge loops are the way I was hoping for.

Daniel wright 2311
User Banned
Posted: 12th May 2011 22:21
And here is the finished head before i make his body, this is not yet textured.

Camouflage Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
widen up the jaw a little bit looks to thin there

banner.jpg
Daniel wright 2311
User Banned
Posted: 12th May 2011 23:28
@Camouflage Studios

I just did, it looks real defined now,thanks for the sugestion.

Daniel wright 2311
User Banned
Posted: 13th May 2011 23:36
And here is the finished head, I decided to just texture it now then do the body,what does every think?

mgarand
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2011 23:48
texture looks a bit stretched. I also think that the eyes could use some more work

Daniel wright 2311
User Banned
Posted: 14th May 2011 00:28
Ok, I fixed most of the texture streaching and I fixed the eyes, its the bst I can do on the eyes but hey, it still looks almost ok.

Daniel wright 2311
User Banned
Posted: 14th May 2011 01:34 Edited at: 14th May 2011 01:35
So I went from this

To this with the help of Camouflage Studios link

Daniel wright 2311
User Banned
Posted: 15th May 2011 04:22
and here is a update preview, biker dan

my plan=this guy will be in fpsc with a crew of bikers

Camouflage Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
now the cheeks look wwaayyyy sunken in it doesnt look right give him some more meat in the cheeks

banner.jpg
Daniel wright 2311
User Banned
Posted: 15th May 2011 06:42
@Camouflage Studios

Na, Im leaving his cheeks like this, It gives him more of a rufed up old man look, I like it, but thanks

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2011 11:36
looks quiet cool, however the ears, look... awfull, i'd look up some ear tutorials, this tutorial is pretty much amazing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcYrUHRIqsE

[Q]uik, Quiker than most
Daniel wright 2311
User Banned
Posted: 15th May 2011 20:33
@Quik

ok, thank you, ill check that out, I have made some good ears in the past but when I apply smothing to them they look horible, so this video should help.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-12 08:26:07
Your offset time is: 2024-05-12 08:26:07