Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Any ideas to help me move my project forward?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Included in the attachment is a PDF with information on the game I've been working on, and how I want it to work. I think the part where I could use the most help is with the "emitter" class in my program, which is largely incomplete. It could be that something in what I've already coded could help me more than what I'm seeing. Any ideas?

Attachments

Login to view attachments
DeadTomGC
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2011 18:57
Your game concept looks very interesting. I like the idea.
I may need to do a little research before I can help you much though.

Btw, have you heard of Ray Comfort?

Prehistoric Gamer
Years of Service
User Offline
I've made a few modifications to the "emitter" class, eliminating an object, so that hopefully my purpose for it should be clearer.

I'm also working on a creature import wizard, and will work on the save functions when that is complete. I do hope to allow others to add their own prehistoric creature models and have the game recognize them.

Attachments

Prehistoric Gamer
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm sorry it took me so long to send an update on my progress. I intended to send monthly updates, but unfortunately my desktop was hit with a malware bomb, and the best I could do was move my important data files to another computer and then reinstall the operating system and then all the programs I had before the attack.

As you may notice, my program is still in the theoretical stage, although I have made progress on it. I'll keep working on it, and hopefully I'll have another update next month.

Attachments

Prehistoric Gamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Here's my update for this month. I've had a problem with one of the functions, the setScene function, as I've indicated in the comments previous to it. Either there is a problem with it, or the Intellisense function in C++ on my desktop is just making up an excuse. Hopefully I can get help with this problem.

Attachments

WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2011 05:50
At first time compiling it I got a load of errors missing ';' from the end of your classes. I take it you're using a different compiler... I put them in then it still had errors in compilation.

Warning! May contain Nuts!
Prehistoric Gamer
Years of Service
User Offline
WLGfx, it's been my experience that a single error on my part can generate a long list of compile errors. I know that the problem seems to be with the function setScene, since, like I said, it's suddenly not recognizing it as a function. So, here's what I plan to do; and, you may want to try it as well, to see if we get the same results.

I'm going to comment out the body of the function inside the main braces, then uncomment the nested braces and connected statements and other lines until I find the line(s) causing the problem. Let's hope this works.
Prehistoric Gamer
Years of Service
User Offline
This is just to let you know that the plan I tried a week ago worked. The attached document contains information about the problem and how I solved it.

Attachments

vitinho444
Years of Service
User Offline
hey i read all the pdf but i didnt touch the source.

I think i understand the idea so you want a game that basicly is a world where people can find creatures and document them and then what?

Another thing i want to say to all people who read this is that the Custom features are the future in gaming.
If we make a game that can support new chars, new maps and stuff people wont let it go so fast as other games.

And my 3 rules for games are:

1- Make it custom
2- Try to make Updates every weeks/months
3- Make new versions of the games changing the Graphics and GUI

These rules are the base for my games xD
What do you think of them ?

PS: Srry for the offtopic =D

PS2: Good Idea Prehistoric Gamer

Learning C++
VB6 Advanced: 4/5
VB.NET Advanced: 4/5
Prehistoric Gamer
Years of Service
User Offline
I appreciate vitinho444's message, and I plan to take the advice into consideration. But, I get the idea that perhaps the PDF file was incomplete, and my intentions weren't fully understood.

For that reason, I've revised what I've written in the PDF, and plan to put it in the next update. I just need to know if there's a document format that'll get my message across more easily. I have the file in OpenOffice Document format, and can convert it to other formats from there. If there are no suggestions, I'll continue to put it in PDF format, as My Game Project. Once again, I appreciate the suggestions. Please let me know before August 1st.
vitinho444
Years of Service
User Offline
Hum.. why dont you make a resume of all the pdf and try to point the main ideas, i think all people will understand.

Learning C++
Prehistoric Gamer
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm thinking that it may be a good idea if I had a list of questions to answer relating to my game. If I know what information others are looking for about it, I may be able to better inform people about what I want from my game. And, if the Q and A proves easier than my Game Idea document, I may use that instead.
Prehistoric Gamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Here's my update for this month. I've moved the PDF up so it should be easier to find.

In the mean time, I must admit, I've been having problems with the DarkGDK. It seems to not like sharing a project with other include files. For that reason, I've decided to work on another project in Dark Basic Professional.

The new project is an animation program, which will save animation data in a text file which will be read by my game program, and allow the characters to be animated without the characters having to come with native animations.

Due to the limitations of Dark Basic Professional, I'm having to use some roundabout methods to get the results I want. I may include the finished project with the next update, once it's complete.

Attachments

vitinho444
Years of Service
User Offline
wow i start liking your new project.

If you want to know, i'll be here waiting for it for my 3D Games (i suck at doing animations, well, i dont know at all how to make them xD)

C++ Medium 3.5/5
Prehistoric Gamer
Years of Service
User Offline
I don't have an update on my game this time, but I have been working on my animation project.

Due to problems I've been having with DarkGDK, I've been considering rewriting my game in Dark Basic Professional, especially since I've been coding the animation project in that language, and with success. But, now I'm not sure if I should post the project and code in this thread, or if I should open a thread in the Dark Basic Professional forum, and post the project there. Any advice?

In the mean time, I've got the controls I plan to have for the animator.

Attachments

WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2011 17:05
I keep swapping between Dark Basic Pro and C++. I do aim to get all my main work done in C++ but for prototyping various functions sometimes I use Dark Basic Pro just for that.

vitinho444
Years of Service
User Offline
is it recommended to swap from C++ (Darkgdk or SDL/Open GL [im using this right now]) to DarkBasic?

C++ Medium 3.5/5
WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2011 13:44
I've now decided to use DBPro just to try out some functions and then once they work I can easily re-write them in C++. This doesn't work all the time but for some things it's an ideal situation.

Prehistoric Gamer
Years of Service
User Offline
I've decided to release my more-or-less completed Prehistoric Animator project in this forum, although it's written in Dark Basic Professional code. It runs, although I'm not entirely confident that it works the way I want it to.

The controls are in the Animation Controls folder. I've included the code with the program, so that anyone can work with it, and hopefully improve on what I've done, or adapt it to their own purposes.

The Creature folder is where a user will put a model to be animated, and the animation, attack, and response folders will contain the data files respective to animations outside of battle, as well as attacks and preemptive responses to attacks will go, respectively.

You will also notice the myAnimDll folder. I've read about how DBPro has room for third-party DLLs, and I've made some classes for this purpose. But, what I've read is for version six of Visual C++, and the one I'm working with is the 2008 Express edition, which is different from the mentioned version. I wouldn't mind having the code inspected; I just need to know how to adapt the code to work in DBPro.

Finally, as for the question about it being recommended that I switch to Dark Basic, I've noticed that DarkGDK seems to prefer to be the only library working in my programs. I've noticed that when I try to include other libraries, whether those that came with Visual C++ or classes I've made myself, errors come up that weren't there when I was just working with the DarkGDK. This is a problem I haven't experienced with DBPro. That's why I'm considering switching to DBPro for my game. And, if I can really add my own function DLLs and especially get them working, that's even more encouraging to me.

Well, until next update.

Attachments

Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2011 07:23
Quote: "Finally, as for the question about it being recommended that I switch to Dark Basic, I've noticed that DarkGDK seems to prefer to be the only library working in my programs. I've noticed that when I try to include other libraries, whether those that came with Visual C++ or classes I've made myself, errors come up that weren't there when I was just working with the DarkGDK. This is a problem I haven't experienced with DBPro. That's why I'm considering switching to DBPro for my game. And, if I can really add my own function DLLs and especially get them working, that's even more encouraging to me."

What kind of errors are you getting? Linker errors, compilation, both? And regarding DLLs for DBPro, the DLL Talk forum is as good a place to start as any.

Prehistoric Gamer
Years of Service
User Offline
I once tried to code the Prehistoric Animator program in C++ with DarkGDK. I got no errors using functions from the DarkGDK library; but, as soon as I included the iostream library and ran the debug, I got this:

1>------ Build started: Project: Prehistoric Animator, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
1>Compiling...
1>Main.cpp
1>Linking...
1>LINK : Debug\Prehistoric Animator.exe not found or not built by the last incremental link; performing full link
1>libcpmtd.lib(xdebug.obj) : warning LNK4098: defaultlib 'libcmt.lib' conflicts with use of other libs; use /NODEFAULTLIB:library
1>libcpmtd.lib(xdebug.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __malloc_dbg referenced in function "void * __cdecl operator new(unsigned int,struct std::_DebugHeapTag_t const &,char *,int)" (??2@YAPAXIABU_DebugHeapTag_t@std@@PADH@Z)
1>libcpmtd.lib(xdebug.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __free_dbg referenced in function "void __cdecl operator delete(void *,struct std::_DebugHeapTag_t const &,char *,int)" (??3@YAXPAXABU_DebugHeapTag_t@std@@PADH@Z)
1>Debug\Prehistoric Animator.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 2 unresolved externals
1>Build log was saved at "file://c:\Users\Jarred Israelsen\Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\Prehistoric Animator\Prehistoric Animator\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
1>Prehistoric Animator - 3 error(s), 1 warning(s)
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========
Prehistoric Gamer
Years of Service
User Offline
As for DLLs, I have these questions:

(1) Do I need a dllMain folder or function for it to work?

(2) On the subject of overloading functions, can I use ENUM, or do I need to use #define?

(3) Can I export an object's constructors and destructors in a DLL?

(4) Csn I export only the functions I want from an object in a DLL?
WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2011 04:55 Edited at: 21st Sep 2011 04:57
As soon as you start importing STD:: libraries you have to change your settings in VS, I believe it's under Project Porperties >> Config Properties >> C/C++ >> Code Gneration - Set your runtime library to /MT and NOT /MTd.

Prehistoric Gamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, for one more month, I've been working on other projects than my game; so I don't have an update to my code or game. I have been working on a second version of my Prehistoric Animator, and, considering it seems that my path approach to coding doesn't seem to be working, I've decided to try a chain-of-commands approach instead.

The DLL I plan to use for the new version of Prehistoric Animator is nearly complete, and I'm hoping I can get it to work this time.

In the mean time, I'm finding it strange how an extra semicolon, not attached to any particular line of code, preceding a class declaration, can eliminate a bunch of errors.

While I'm in the process of imperically getting the answers to questions (1) and (4), I still look forward to getting the answers to questions (2) and (3). And, if I'm successful in developing a DLL and getting it to work in DBPro, I may switch my Prehistoric Revival operation to DBPro, and just use C++ to produce container class DLLs. I may continue working on a C++/DarkGDK version of the game for my own uses, but DBPro is looking better and better. And, my next post may be the opening of a DBPro thread.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 12:06:41
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 12:06:41