Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Send Net Message String error???

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2002 06:02
I don't know if it's because my program is so darn huge, but it seems like Send Net Message String either sends the string multiple times or not at all. I guess I'll write a simple program to test it, but do other people have this problem and, if so, is there a work around (I guess I could use Memblocks, but then the strings will be fixed width and thats not optomized for net transmission)
1.00 GHZ processor, 256 MB RAM, GeForce 3 64MB, SB Live!, 8 cans of soda per day
The Wendigo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2002 09:23
Ok, figured out the problem, but I don't have a good enough workaround. You cannot send a memblock and then a string or vice-versa. You may only send 1 data type in your program! Instead of stacking inside the queue, they overwrite eachother. I'm assuming the memblock has been overwriting the string as I send memblocks more than strings (yes I've tried sending them both at the same time, same results).
My only Idea is to only use memblocks, but that will end up a waist of bandwidth. It seems almost pointless to use the other Get Net Message commands other than memblock's.

NOTE TO DEVELOPMENT TEAM: Incase you didn't already know, your syntax checker catches 'Net Message String()' which is actually a non-existant keyword. The true syntax is 'Net Message String$()' which does not show up as a valid command, but executes correctly. BTW, could you make an option where you can garentee packets for all var types and not just memblocks, meshes, images, etc.... If you would, my memblock wouldnt over-write my string ! I need this for in-game chatting.

1.00 GHZ processor, 256 MB RAM, GeForce 3 64MB, SB Live!, 8 cans of soda per day

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 06:02:10
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 06:02:10