Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / compressed textures in AGK?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2011 13:03
Would be nice to have compressed textures in
AGK so games can have bigger sprite sheets
and higher quality games.

PVRTC is a compressed texture format that
ipad, iphone, etc support.

I am hoping for a more multi platform compressed
texture format that could be used so we can create
higher quality graphics in our games.

Dark Basic Pro - The Bedroom Coder's Language of choice for the 21st Century.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2011 16:20
PNG is supported, and is the industry standard for alpha transparent, lossless compressed images.

I don't think we need anything more elaborate than PNG. Thing is, consider all the different OS's, all the different memory configurations - it makes sense to stick to an established standard that is supported universally.

Health, Ammo, and bacon and eggs!
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2011 06:03
Thanks Van B and exactly right. We're aiming for universal development, so once you have your PNG you can take it with you to pretty much every device we are intending to support. Unlike compressed device specific media, you can open up the PNG at any time, on any device, and modify it as you go along, making it a great file to work with. Same goes for WAV too! There is still room for using other device specific formats, but you would probably be a Tier 2 developer to take advantage of this as you would need to be in front of a specific development environment complete with compiler and packager to produce your final 'optimized' binary. For Tier 1 users, you just drop in your compressed PNG files and instantly broadcast them to as many devices as you can get your hands on (along with your app of course).

I drink tea, and in my spare time I write software.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 10:17:08
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 10:17:08