Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2011 01:10

Developer: Darimc

Story:

Your name is Ian Malcolm, a Private Investigator who is barely surviving in a poverty-stricken America. With no work in months, depression setting in and a severe addiction to sleep medication, you feel like it may be the end for you. Life only gets worse when a man, you being the cause of his divorce, pulls a gun on you in your own apartment. Having no choice but to pull the trigger, you land yourself a fifteen year sentence in a federal penitentiary.
Feeling like you have hit rock bottom, an opportunity arises. A mysterious, nameless woman offers you a deal that you cannot refuse. In exchange for your assistance in apprehending a gang leader, you will be released from prison and wiped clean of all charges against you. Eagerly accepting, you have no idea that the man you have been assigned to catch may not be the leader of a typical “gang”. A story of greed, violence and conspiracy unfolds before you. And it soon becomes apparent that you were not selected for your investigation skills, you are just expendable; no one will ever miss Ian Malcolm.

Screenshots:

Notes:

First and foremost, this is a story driven game. I haven't used FPSC to design anything in ages, and decided to give it another go. I will do my best at designing engaging levels and entertaining features but all I can promise you is at very least an interesting story.

Vent
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2011 01:21
Looks pretty cool, I tried something just like this once (I think I even called it Noir, or something along those lines ) but I never got around to doing anything past the first level. I hope it works for you, your story is better than mine was.

Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2011 01:26
beautiful story and environment. I am monitoring this thread.

imageflock.com/img/1272671763.jpg[/img]
skype = isaacpreston. I want to talk to YOU
Delusional Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2011 01:38
Oh!!! this will be awesome,
Btw, why dont you add some film-grain shader, would look like some bad-ass old movie.
I`m also huge fan of film noir, and looking forward to game noir.

Peace to all

My paragon is not on the poster, its in the mirror.
darimc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2011 02:23
Thank you for the kind comments. I will keep my eye out for any B&W shaders with film grain; it could be very useful. Also, another thing I would like to mention, I plan on this game being more strategic than straight Run N' Gun style gameplay.

Vent
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2011 02:27
Bond's film grain shader can be modified to be black and white, it looks pretty good.

darimc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2011 02:40
If only I had that knowledge.

Vent
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2011 03:10
You just open up the fx file in notepad and edit the float Monochrome area, as well as other parts, like the noise value, it's pretty easy.

darimc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2011 00:54
Thanks, I'll try it out.

I will have some WIP shots of the jail soon. Also, I plan on starting a forum for the game in the future, so if anyone wants to help out a bit with the game, they will be able to get more information there.

darimc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2011 03:27 Edited at: 14th Apr 2011 03:27
Been working on some more level design tonight... Here is a WIP of the prison. Please leave feedback on how I should improve it.

On a side note, would anyone be interested in helping out with this game once I have the base and more of the level design done for it? Anyone who wants to write some scripts, do some models or paint some textures is always welcome to me. There are some elements that I would like to add to this game that I know are doable in FPSC, but with my limited scripting knowledge, would take me ages to do.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
2 Rogues
Years of Service
User Offline
The bricks on the prison wall are a little flat, try adding a normalmap. BTW, I think this game has great potential and as far as storylines go, it's great that only by telling me a short 5.3 lines of story, you have already immersed me in the game.

Good luck!
DarkJames
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks nice!

Caveman1985
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2011 20:51
I am so looking forward to playing this! I like your story and am already anxious to find out about that conspiracy! I especially like the first screenshot of the bedroom. The placement, the lightning, the table, the bed, the carpet, they all work together to create just the right atmosphere.
Just a quick question. The gangleader Ian's chasing, he is not in prison with him, right? Ian is going to be released to find him, right? Or will the whole game take place in prison? Because that would be boring I think. I don't like prison levels that much

On a sidenote, just yesterday I watched "Maltese Falcon" for the first time. I loved it, especially being a big Bogart fan myself. Where did you take you inspration from? Movies like that, or books? Maybe the Tex Murphy games?

Good luck with the game and kind regards,

Caveman

PS. Ian Malcom? Isn't that the Jeff Goldblum character in Jurassic Park?

favorite websites: www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net & cracked.com
darimc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2011 22:46 Edited at: 14th Apr 2011 22:46
Quote: "The bricks on the prison wall are a little flat, try adding a normalmap. BTW, I think this game has great potential and as far as storylines go, it's great that only by telling me a short 5.3 lines of story, you have already immersed me in the game."
Thank you for the kind words! I have created normal maps and they are applied, but they seem to not be as defined as I hoped. I guess a little bit of texture tweaking should do the trick.

Quote: "Ian is going to be released to find him, right? Or will the whole game take place in prison?"
Thank you as well for the compliments. And don't worry, the game won't be solely based in the prison. In fact, very little of it will be, as this is more of the introduction to the actual game.

Quote: "Where did you take you inspration from?"
I'd say mostly from my mind, with a little help from the TV show Prison Break and a little bit from looking at videos of LA Noir.

Quote: "Ian Malcom? Isn't that the Jeff Goldblum character in Jurassic Park?"
Hmm... I honestly wouldn't know I haven't seen that movie in years.

DarkJames
Years of Service
User Offline
Darimc, Add me in Skype or MSN

MSN:octavio9mm@hotmail.com

darimc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2011 23:29
Don't have skype, but I added you on MSN.

Ultimate_fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2011 17:30
very well written I'm hoping this comes out the way you've planned!

Mind
Blown.
charger bandit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2011 21:34
Damn I tought I would never seen a game from you again,great work as always. You can add me on MSN if you need models.

CapnBuzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Darimc, This looks very nice!

Since you're lighting the scenes b&w, I'd check out the movies THE THIRD MAN and CITIZEN KANE (you probably have already). These are great examples of atmospheric lighting based on psychological effect -- not always limited by reality and natural light sources. Hope that makes sense. Other than that, I'd only offer to keep a lot of contrast between the light and shadows.

I'm looking forward to learning more of the story...!
darimc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2011 18:22
@Ultimate_fish, Thank you very much.

@charger bandit, Glad you're looking forward to it. The progress will probably be slow, but I plan on finishing it. And thank you for the offer, I will definitely add you when the time comes.

@CapnBuzz, Thanks for the advice, I will be sure to watch both those movies this week.

Juzi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2011 20:28
I could try to help you with character development. You know, emotional stuff and that because I know a scary amount of stuff about psychology and the human mind in general.

Add me on MSN if you're interested: juz_the_dude AT hotmail DOT com

Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2011 20:41
Quote: "I could try to help you with character development. You know, emotional stuff and that because I know a scary amount of stuff about psychology and the human mind in general.
"

Apparently, not enough to know that this offer was slightly scary aswell

Just joking´, Juzi

@DarimC: I would suggest adding a few more details on that Jailhallway...it looks empty.

-Wolf

I make serious coffee - so strong it wakes up the neighbors.
Juzi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2011 20:51 Edited at: 24th Apr 2011 20:54
Wolf:

I can clearly see that you have some kind of personality disorder with a slight mix of psychotic behaviour. My office is right behind the corner, you can come and stare at ink splotches whenever you feel like

EDIT: And not to go completely off-topic; Call me perfectionist but I'd try to fix that shadow bug in the lowest of the new screenshots with that fire alarm thingy. The shadow makes it look like it's floating from the wall.

darimc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2011 21:47
@Juzi, Thank you for the offer. I'm still working on details of the story, if I become stuck, I will be sure to contact you. And good eye for noticing that, I guess I'll have to check to see if it is floating.

@Wolf, Thank you for the suggestion, do you have any suggestions of what entities I should add in?

Juzi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2011 22:02
Well you can add me anyway if you want to, always interesting to speak with new developer people

In case you can't add me, email me your MSN or something if you don't want to put it on public. My MSN's contact add system is somehow messed up and I don't sometimes get new friend invitations.

darimc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2011 02:10
Alright, I will try to add you next time I get on MSN.

darimc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2011 03:27
Alright, I couldn't keep myself locked up for too long. Been having family issues recently (two deaths), so I took a small break but I managed to get a couple features done. The damage hud and effect is now working, as is the usable item hud and effect. I've attached a video for you guys to take a look at.

P.S. Mind the loud rap music .

Attachments

Login to view attachments
darimc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2011 14:03
Is there any interest in this game anymore? Come on guys, give me a little bit of C&C.

charger bandit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2011 17:57
Don't worry,people here are just lazy and say cool game then they don't check the thread again for like a month. I think it is pretty cool,needs some details on some parts but it is cool looking.

I am waiting for more screens.

darimc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2011 16:37
Thanks, do you have any suggestions on improving it? And at the moment, I have put my focus on developing features, not the levels yet.

Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2011 18:04
Quote: "And at the moment, I have put my focus on developing features, not the levels yet."

Apparently, it aren't the entities that lag, its more the visual style here. The bricks for example could have a lot more details. That way, the cracks wouldn't look so fake.

You might also want to use "cutter" segments to get these windows inside. Right now, they appear placed on the wall. Windows and cracks are far higher on contrast than the wall itself. I would change that.

The ceiling could use a lot more features such as pipes, wires etc. The lamps for example simply stick out of it...there are no wires going anyway like you usually see in this kind of building.

I would suggest to google for "Prison Hallway" .

-Wolf

I make serious coffee - so strong it wakes up the neighbors.
http://serygalacaffeine.deviantart.com/
darimc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2011 19:33
Well, none of the cracks or windows are entities, they are all segments. But I am basically scrapping that design for the level and beginning anew later. Anyways, I would really, really appreciate some feedback on the most recent update, in the video.

regularhayley
Years of Service
User Offline
This looks amazing.
What did you use to create your levels?
darimc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2011 20:29
Thank you. And I just used the FPS Creator editor.

Shadowdeath
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2011 22:38
Looks cool, want to see more.

[href]tophatforums.info[/href] - For all your project and gaming needs
darimc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2011 17:24
Thanks, it's been slow but I'm still working on it.

darimc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2011 23:25
I regret to inform anyone who cares, but I had to wipe my computer clean due to a virus, meaning I lost all progress except a few models and things that I had backed up. So, I debating taking another go at this, maybe from a slightly different approach. Or, I may try a different game all together. Any suggestions?

ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I regret to inform anyone who cares, but I had to wipe my computer clean due to a virus, meaning I lost all progress except a few models and things that I had backed up. "

That always seems to be the case. Well, to any extent, maybe you should try and go at it again? What could it hurt?

AMD Phenom II X6 3.2Ghz, 8GB DDR3 Extreme RAM,
ASUS M4N98TD EVO Motherboard, 2 X 9800GT in SLI
CapnBuzz
Years of Service
User Offline
I would definitely have a 2nd go at NOIR.

I was thinking the other day of a game you should play -- SABOTEUR.

SABOTEUR is not a great game (although it's more fun than many reviews would suggest), but the art direction is fantastic -- a "noir" black-and-white WWII Paris. Take a look just for that, but there's another reason to check out SABOTEUR...

Many important "clues" and "entities" are colored red. In a black-and-white world this creates a powerful impression. Maybe something to use in your work?

I'm a big fan of the artist Jon J. Muth. In the 90's he did a graphic novel series based on the film "M." If you know the story, Peter Lorre is a child killer. Anyway, all of the books were in black-and-white except for one element each volume. I can still see the pink child's balloon drifting away into darkness.

Yes, keep up the work on NOIR. That would be my suggestion.
AbdulAhad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2011 10:51
Sad to hear about the files being wiped out. :/

This is easily one of my most favourite games ever!(I used to check out every now and then but forgot to reply)

The story is well developed and the screens are just immersive!

If I were you I would definitely have a second go at it again!

Abdul Ahad

bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2011 14:37
Sorry to hear about your PC problems, I think you should give it another go. I definately like the whole 'film noir' concept in a game, I don't recall seeing it done before

darimc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2011 03:06
Quote: "That always seems to be the case."
Was that a purely innocent comment or a hint at something?

Well, since all of the comments suggest that I should have another go at it, I suppose I will. Look forward to some updates soon.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 07:41:33
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 07:41:33