Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Code compatibility?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2011 14:33
Hello!

Im a DBpro owner, though I havent messed with it for ages! And im looking forward to the release of AppGameKit and thinking of trying to get started on game design again thanks to it.

I have an ideia for my first project, and one of the first things I need to do is create code to generate the scenario, some sort of fractal terrain generator, and after that assign locations for cities on the map and stuff.

My question is, if I were to start coding that in DBpro, what are the chances the code would be compatible with AppGameKit? with a few changes here and there perhaps? Should I start with DBpro or should I wait until AppGameKit is released?
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2011 20:35
Some commands will be called different things, all commands will be without spaces and use (). All arrays will use [] instead of (). And finally we do not yet know what exactly will be in AppGameKit from start. From my understanding the language will be similar to DBP so I have started on my own code. If you keep it well structured and not too long I don't think you will have too much problems porting your code.

Madeira
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2011 21:17
Ok, thank you for your advice!
Even if I do have some difficulty porting later, it would be a good exercise to get me started again
Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2011 02:47
Only 2D stuff will be easy to port. Initially, AppGameKit won't support 3D but may be added later so like DA said, you shouldn't have too many problems porting 2D stuff if you keep it structured well but 3D stuff will have to be put on hold for a bit.

A clever person solves a problem, a wise person avoids it - Albert Einstein
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2011 03:08
Thanks Hodgey, I forgot to mention the no 3D part

I think solving complex things in DBP and commenting the code is a good start. I'm doing a board game with a hexagonal board and it's a bit tricky. I have also started on the AI. Later I'm going to start with the main menu and stuff like that in AppGameKit and then port over my DBP code one part at a time.

Madeira
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2011 11:09
Yes im aware there will be no 3D for now
my first project is in 2D so no problem there.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-16 19:40:59
Your offset time is: 2024-04-16 19:40:59