Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Some random weapon sub-d modeling and textures

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2011 06:30 Edited at: 30th Apr 2011 06:30
Been a while since I posted here. This is something that has been WIP for quite a while, just got back on it today and might have more to post later. Have done it with a highpoly to bake the normals and AO map.

Some parts are obviously not finished.

Yes, it is me.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Design Runner
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2011 17:01
I love the texturing on that. Very nice. The only crit I have, unless this was intentional, is that the edges have an almost cartoony look to them.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2011 18:29
the handle looks cartoonish and could use some more texturing, but the rest looks amazing

[Q]uik, Quiker than most
ToastyFresh
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "the handle looks cartoonish and could use some more texturing, but the rest looks amazing
"

Like I said, it's not anywhere near finished. I'll do that bit when I figure out how to texture wood

Oh and another thing, I screwed up the bake on the trigger guard and you will see some oddities there if you look close. Not a huge deal but I ought to get that fixed eventually.

Yes, it is me.
=Acid=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2011 08:58
The texturing is pretty generic an unrealistic. The attempts for the normals were okay, except you really created a hi-res mesh without any major details. That texture could have easily been recreated on a simple low mesh.

Scratches are unrealistic and almost everywhere, especially on the back of that flashlight section. how is it possible to get scratched up when the trigger gaurd is in the way.As well as you placing dirt randomly it doesn't seem so realistic. I wouldn't have hand painted it in, I would have overlayed a dirt texture and used a mask to paint in.

The design really could use some work too, where do the bullets eject from, magazine entry? Is that hand grip really going to be comfortable?

Sorry if I'm being a bit harsh but these are just my opinions.
ToastyFresh
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "The attempts for the normals were okay, except you really created a hi-res mesh without any major details. That texture could have easily been recreated on a simple low mesh."

I don't know what you mean by that. Sure I could have created the texture on the lowpoly but I wanted a smooth normal map and AO bake. That is really the only way to get a decent normal map that goes with a good specular, because it doesn't work or look as good if you make a normal from the texture.

Quote: "Scratches are unrealistic and almost everywhere, especially on the back of that flashlight section. how is it possible to get scratched up when the trigger gaurd is in the way"

I've got a mask on my scratches for exactly that, and it's not finished yet.

Quote: "As well as you placing dirt randomly it doesn't seem so realistic. I wouldn't have hand painted it in, I would have overlayed a dirt texture and used a mask to paint in.
"

It's rust.

Quote: "The design really could use some work too, where do the bullets eject from, magazine entry? Is that hand grip really going to be comfortable?"

You haven't seen the rest of the model, on the other side there is an ejection port, and the foregrip and magazine have not been modeled yet. And the handgrip is modeled off the grip of an AMD-65.

Yes, it is me.
mgarand
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2011 14:14
Quote: "
It's rust."

you need to use some reference for rust, because it looks like it is placed on places where it wont rust quickly. Try to add rust near seams, edges etc.

also dont be afraid for critic and comments, people try to help

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2011 16:51
I agree on the points raised about the rust. Rust just wouldn't accumulate like that. Consider that surface rust tends to be quite uniform, almost like orange skin. The way it forms means that it will cover an exposed area rather than accumlating on specific spots. Surface rust will accumulate in tiny dents and scratches though, but that doesn't mean the edges all have rust. But my main point is that it has to be subtle - if your going for a worn look, then the gun has been used a great deal? - so it's not like it's been left to rust - it's accumulating rust, but the owner would still try and clean it up. Actually, your as likely to see carbon build up as you are rust - A friend was keeping a server PC in his garage, so it was pretty exposed to damp - and that had a lot of rust, uniform surface rust on all the exposed metal, but a lot of carbon build up (white rust) on the front, with nastly little corroded bits. I probably depends on the metal, but carbon builds up on everything - maybe it's worth adding some of that on exposed areas.

With the scratches - well I would tend to use a different technique. What if you made the whole gun as untreated gun metal, like dull silver with rust, carbon build-up, scratches etc... But then add a treated layer, like the black coating, paint, etc etc. Then, you scratch away at the paint/treatment layer to mimic real wear and tear. Really, the less scratches and defects you use - the more effective they are. Consider the areas on the gun that move, and would wear against things, and only scratch those surfaces up.

Try to be more subtle with everything, and I think your texturing will look much more professional - the potential is certainly there.

Health, Ammo, and bacon and eggs!
=Acid=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2011 17:40 Edited at: 13th May 2011 17:44
I'm saying you created a Hi poly and didn't even make much use of it! You had minimal floaters, indents and bolts for the bake.
Your using a mask for the scratches? although that may be a good idea, you may want to mask off a lot of the areas which are open on the model.

Show us different angles, wires etc etc To be honest it's very boxy, some indifferences and unique shapes could have really made it stand out. It's only primitive with boxes like that.

Does it really have an interesting silhouette?

and your rust needs to build up evenly on areas such as this:
[img]null[/img]
mgarand
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2011 23:18
Quote: "To be honest it's very boxy, some indifferences and unique shapes could have really made it stand out. It's only primitive with boxes like that.
"

Maybe he did that on purpose, although i agree that some more screens would be usefull

henry ham
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2011 01:08
well i could crit this but to be truthful i really like the look you have come up with its not very realistic but so what its not a real gun good job.

cheers henry

ToastyFresh
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I agree on the points raised about the rust. Rust just wouldn't accumulate like that. Consider that surface rust tends to be quite uniform, almost like orange skin. The way it forms means that it will cover an exposed area rather than accumlating on specific spots. Surface rust will accumulate in tiny dents and scratches though, but that doesn't mean the edges all have rust. But my main point is that it has to be subtle - if your going for a worn look, then the gun has been used a great deal? - so it's not like it's been left to rust - it's accumulating rust, but the owner would still try and clean it up. Actually, your as likely to see carbon build up as you are rust - A friend was keeping a server PC in his garage, so it was pretty exposed to damp - and that had a lot of rust, uniform surface rust on all the exposed metal, but a lot of carbon build up (white rust) on the front, with nastly little corroded bits. I probably depends on the metal, but carbon builds up on everything - maybe it's worth adding some of that on exposed areas."

Okay, that helps a lot.

Quote: "I'm saying you created a Hi poly and didn't even make much use of it! You had minimal floaters, indents and bolts for the bake."

I see. I'm just finding it difficult to add interesting features to this. This gun was supposed to be like a homemade sort of thing, mashed together from varying components... so I suppose it's supposed to look ugly in a way. I'll see what other stuff I can add to it.

Quote: "Your using a mask for the scratches? although that may be a good idea, you may want to mask off a lot of the areas which are open on the model."

Okay.

Quote: "With the scratches - well I would tend to use a different technique. What if you made the whole gun as untreated gun metal, like dull silver with rust, carbon build-up, scratches etc... But then add a treated layer, like the black coating, paint, etc etc. Then, you scratch away at the paint/treatment layer to mimic real wear and tear. Really, the less scratches and defects you use - the more effective they are. Consider the areas on the gun that move, and would wear against things, and only scratch those surfaces up.
"

It's a good idea and one I've been playing around with for a while, but it never looks good when I do it. I'll experiment with putting on darker colours and being a bit more heavy-handed with it, when I do it it just seems to contrasting with the metal underneath.

Also Acid that revolver image is very helpful. The taped-up handle is also a good idea for another home-made gun.

Here is a wireframe and shot of the other side. The foregrip is also seen.

The handle has also not been textured.

Yes, it is me.
mgarand
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2011 10:45
good show!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-12 12:20:29
Your offset time is: 2024-05-12 12:20:29