Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Beginners questions

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2011 13:34
Hi guys,

I am new to this forum and also in doing games.
So I am not quite sure, if this is the right place to post.
But maybe you allow me to ask for some information here...

(I want to start kind of quite low level, so I am also not quite sure, if a gamecreation app is the right tool for me.)
Some of you surely remember Macromedias director with its lingo scripting-language, that would enable you, to create interactive content for CD-Rom and also Internet with the shockwaveplayer.

I would like to be able to do similar stuff now for Android and winmobile plaforms like smartphones and tablets, be it little games or small interactive educational tutorials for instance,
starting 2D and using 3D lateron as well may be.

Can this be done, learning the agk gamekit or dark basic or maybe better wait for a new html 5 and javascript authoringtool, that might come out in the future?
Since I just know a little lingo coding, I have hardly any knowledge of programming, so I would rather like to make sure, that my time invested in learning this new stuff is kind of "futuresave".

Maybe somebody could shed a little light on this topic?

Thank you

Jake
kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2011 22:13
I strongly recommend waiting for AppGameKit (first released is planed on the next month). It's easy and powerful. It provides BASIC possibility of writing, along with powerful C++.

AGK will be first only 2d (with build in physics). Then it'll probably activate 3d and multiplayer.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2011 00:51
I think you will find that AppGameKit Tier 1 is only a little bit harder then Lingo. I used Lingo myself perhaps 10 years ago, before I started using Dark Basic. The biggest difference is that there is not much of a graphical interface, everything is handled in code.

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2011 12:14
Learhing HTML5 and Javascript would offer you more options outside of game making. However, they would be leaps and bounds harder to learn or accomplish anything.

[center]Jerico for President. Obese for VP
My dear tomato \ Please let me classify you \ A fregetable.
Jake Rupert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2011 19:43
Thank for your insights. This sounds very promising to me.

So to be more specific: I am looking for something, that might be able to do stuff also like, lets say you have one object moving on its spot (looping may be) in the center of the screen and exploring it interactivley (with buttons or directclick actions) and have result further action from there on, so not just the typical sidescroller platform thing. I don`t know, if this is possible with app kit programming or if there are tutorials for this, nor do I really know, how sprites are handled here, can they be layered for instance, to hide unhide different part of the model or would I have to exchange the whole sprite each time? So many things to investigate and ask, before I decide to take the appkit route.
There is also this quite pricey solution from Denmark for Android and other export-options that might be suitable for me. Sorry, in case this musing violates forumrules, please ignore this part of my post.
I am just a newcomer trying to find the best solution for my endeveauors and I am feeling that at the moment some
crucial tracks have to be taken for the mobile market.
Jake Rupert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2011 12:19
I see.
Seems we all have to wait for the first release to come out,
to get answers for the questions like posted above...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 12:46:58
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 12:46:58