Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Arenas - Strategy Game Media

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2011 01:06 Edited at: 25th May 2011 02:14
Hi everyone, I've decided that I'm going to have a go at making a Strategy game like Red Alert or any of the other Command and Conquer games. I got into programming to make one and I believe that I now have enough experience to have a valid crack at this task.

My problem is, that I would like to create all the media for this from scratch, but I have the issue of not being able to texture my models. I gather a UV map is required, but all the attempts I've made, despite the generous amount of help I received from Mgarand, at UV mapping have left horribly complicated meshes and have just ended in failure. I was wondering if someone could explain to me how I should UV map my models, and what programs to use.

Here are some images of my models, I wouldn't mind feedback as to improvements. These are the first five models I've ever made, so lets not slaughter me please!

NB as I am trying to make a game similar to red alert, it means that the models will be relitively small, and so to save the processor power required for objects with a large poly count, im reducing the model detail, of which I will then make up for with a detailed texture, and normal mapping ect...

Gencheff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2011 01:18
You have gotten yourself into quite an adventure here.These models are fairly complex and UV mapping them properly is not really a task for a beginner.

If you wish,add me on MSN and I will try to explain the best way possible how to UV-map and if you want I can make the UV layouts for a few models for you,I have nothing better to do these days anyway (national holidays).

PC Specs:Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit,Intel Core i7 960 @ 3.20GHz,NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480,12GB RAM,2x Western Digital 997GB HDD
A r e n a s
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the offer, I've added you on msn. I think the task is going to be quite fun, I've written a few programs for companies, so its really putting together any modelling and programming skills in the form of my childhood love of Red Alert

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-12 07:24:20
Your offset time is: 2024-05-12 07:24:20