Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / G3 assault rifle

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2011 22:31
g3 assault rifle almost complete

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Arseny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2011 22:37
It's good, that you are studying to make models, but according to that square barrel, I dont imagine, what bullet this horse uses. So, keep it up, try to add some details
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2011 00:09
The problem with this model, as with most other first attempts at making weapons is that the x axis looks realy good, but the y and z are completley left out. Try to get reference pics from all sides and then model all axises at the same time. Allso, make round parts like the barrel out of cylinders

Srry about my english im from sweeden
Dracware
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2011 00:14
how do i get the clip to look like its in the gun instead of apart of the gun?
Design Runner
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2011 00:47
You make it a separate object. To do this model the clip separately from the gun (but still the same file and everything, just don't connect the vertexes to the gun). This is very important for animating

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2011 01:55
You need to stop making these threads in this section; moving this thread to 3D Chat.....again.

-Keith

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2011 01:14
Quote: "x axis looks realy good, but the y and z are completley left out"

let me correct that:
the X and Y axis ( - and |) looks really good, but the Z axis (depth) is left completly out

and for the record, I am a man.

Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "the X and Y axis ( - and |) looks really good, but the Z axis (depth) is left completly out"

I dont think any of them look good. It is a cutout of an image probably. In any case, try folowing some tutorials on blender, and see how to setup your environment to start working with refferences.

Dracware
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2011 04:52
i didnt steal this i can send you millions of different pictures of the same model and give you the blender file
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2011 06:42
Who said anything about you stealing this? We totally believe it's yours.

-Keith

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2011 10:36
Quote: "I dont think any of them look good. It is a cutout of an image probably"

but then the X and Y looks good? since they do replicade the X and Y axises of a gun?
its just lacking the Z and then we have a good looking gun.

and for the record, I am a man.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2011 14:43
I'm not trying to put you down, but seriously, take off the blinkers and look at the gun with fresh eyes. It's the easiest thing in the world to get a picture and cut out a gun, but the gun will always suck. Extruding polylines is only 1 technique, it allows you to make shapes quickly and easily, but you have to do more than that. I would suggest learning how to make cylinders, and how to take your extrusions to the next stage, adding details etc.

Most FPS games have the gun pointing forward, so always think about how the gun will look when in-game. It can help you decide where to spend detail - spend polygons on the areas that are shown the most. Don't waste polygons on the handle, use cylinders for barrels. One thing that is pretty vital, at least for a couple of models, is to have a model, airsoft, or even a toy gun - then replicate that as accurately as you can. Having a gun model to analyse makes all the difference. Really, you can't model a gun based on a side view, theres too much detail lost. With practice you'll get better, I think everyone starts out with cut-outs. Really though, it's a lot more fun to be a bit clinical with it, study the gun and work out it's moving parts, it's components, how are bullets ejected, etc.

I don't make weapon models very often, but when I do it's an airsoft and a micrometer and a good dose of determination. I use Rhino3D which is a great modelling package for making guns (NURBS, so perfect CSG, makes modelling so much easier and exact). I'm not sure how good Blender is for weapon modelling, I could never get into Blender. Maybe there's an alternative package that is more dynamic for this sort of modelling.
It takes time, but all good weapon models take time. A professional might only have to make 1 weapon per week, imagine spending 20-40 hours on a handgun model - that's the workload that is needed to get pro results. If you spent 2 hours making your gun, imagine spending 10 times as much time, adding 10 times as much detail and accuracy. You'd come out with a much better model of course, something that you'd post here and people would commend you on.

Health, Ammo, and bacon and eggs!
henry ham
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2011 19:10
what van said

cheers henry

Dracware
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2011 17:33
alright i will fix all my guns... thanks for the help