Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Matchlock Musket

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2011 22:57
This is a matchlock musket being made by me so people can enjoy old fashioned guns.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
AJ Schaeffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2011 02:14 Edited at: 19th Jun 2011 19:41
*EDIT*

Looks very boxy.
Add some roundness to the sides and the barrel.
Think of how its going to be used.
If its going to be in an FPS, imagine how it would look in first person. Right now it would look not too good. But if you bevel the side, maybe find a couple more reference images, it'll look sweet!

Don't over smooth it though. Look at the silhouette. If it looks good then you're set.

The real fun comes when you get to UV map it

Making someone's day a little better because of one of my models means a lot to me.
Travis Gatlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2011 06:09 Edited at: 19th Jun 2011 21:21
Yeah, dude, i've seen some of your models around the forums, all they are is cutouts of an image. it's a start, just give it some smoothing and some depth and you got a perfectly good gun. Since your using blender, i can give you some good pointers on how to start making a gun, i've been making guns for the last 3 days. (9 to be exact) and i wouldn't mind helping you some time.

Your signature has been erased by a mod please reduce it to no larger that 600 x 120.
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2011 16:20
okay, first of: http://www.moddb.com/members/quik1/images/my-colt#imagebox
thats about my 4th gun i ever made: everyone starts out nowhere so these guys above me can stop sounding so harsch and be constructive instead.

since i dont use blender that much i would like to say: add a few edgeloops around the gun and make it smooth out a bit.
for the barrel you should instead use a cylinder, to get it rounded.

and for the record, I am a man.

Travis Gatlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2011 18:11
But the thing about it is, we weren't being harsh, on some of his other threads, he has the same cardboard cutout of the image, we give him advice, he never follows it.

Your signature has been erased by a mod please reduce it to no larger that 600 x 120.
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2011 19:24 Edited at: 21st Jun 2011 05:18
iam more focusing on this:
Quote: "it's really nothing to be that proud of"

and this:
Quote: "...thats it?
Looks like cardboard.
There is absolutely NO depth whatsoever...
Imagine how that would look in first person.
Yeah not too good right?
"

thats not even almost nice.

I do understand your frustration, and i know people were frustrated with me at first but get this: people learn at different paces, if you cannot understand that and feel like: WHAT IS HE DOING AHHH
then dont POST that, hide your feeling and try not to sound harsch: instead be nice, dont go out and say it that blatant, thats not nice to hear.

iam basicly trying to say: if you have nothing good to say, then shut it. (mostly aimed at AJ.)

be nice, give him critisism, dont sound like an MOD Edit while you do it.

AJ Schaeffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2011 19:42
My post was edited.

I am sorry.

Making someone's day a little better because of one of my models means a lot to me.
Travis Gatlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2011 21:23
I see your point. i changed it, sorry that i sounded harsh, i wasn't trying to be.

Dracware
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2011 21:33
alright i will edit all these guns to make them more fps worthy thanks for advice to.
Alucard94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2011 21:42
Quik there's a difference between being harsh and being honest, criticism is meant to point out what's wrong with the model and it is quite hard to so without well... pointing them out. Yes everyone starts off somewhere, doesn't mean we can't say it looks bad, it actually means we're more or less required to do so.
As long as the "harshness" is accompanied with actual advice it's perfectly fine is how I see it.

Criticism wise yes, it has fallen under one of the common newbie mistakes, the cardboard-cutout. Beveling edges as said earlier would definitely help and also giving the different sections of the gun (IE the handle, the barrel and what not) different thickness really tends to help as well. It's quite important to keep in mind when modeling not to only model out of a single direction, but instead model out of all of them. That is, to not only look at the model through the side view but to also at the same time look at it from the front and top view, or just use a perspective viewport.
If your model looks good in all of them, you've succeeded

Alucard94, lacking proper intelligence.
Dracware
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2011 21:59
what do i use to smooth it out?
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2011 01:22
still, you can put critisim out in a nicer way.

on the topic: i cannot really help you get to know how to smooth it out: iam not used with blender at all.

my suggestion would be to look up a few tutorials which might cover the matter /i know the big resource thread gives away atleast one site with blender tutorials\

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
@dracware: To smooth a weapon without sub-surfing it hit Ctrl-v and then smooth vertex, or if you are using the new blender, hit T to open up the tool-bar if not already open and under deform is smooth vertex as-well. To use sub-surf smoothing on the right hand side of the window there should be a wrench logo click that then add modifier Subdivision Surface, that should smooth it out.

Dracware
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2011 20:51
alright thanks i will smooth it out and add a round barrel and possibly texture it. thanks

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-11 18:43:15
Your offset time is: 2024-05-11 18:43:15