Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / June 3D Compo: Space Opera Character; 'From Design to Action'

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2011 23:50
Moondog's June 3D Compo: Space Opera Character
'From Design to Action'

Introduction:
Character modeling can be frustrating, stressful and can overwhelm even the elite if not planned out from start to finish. A lot goes into building a character, from design, object planning, modeling, uvmapping, textureing, rigging, animation, exporting, importing, scripting, AI, etc. The list can go on. In this series I plan to break down the steps in creating a fully working character for use in FPSC from start to finish. So grab your mouse, mountain dew cube and pretzel bucket and get ready to build an epic space opera character!

Step 0: Character Design/Doodle
The first thing I do when creating a character is do random doodles based off a simple description. This is a space opera character and I want him to have armor. So after a few pages in my notebook I've come up with a design that I'm happy with.

Step 1: Final Character Design
Next I create a final design, make a nice marker outline and scan it into the computer. Since this will be a simple character model I'm just going to draw a front view for reference. If you can't draw it's not a problem, there are hundreds if not thousands of images online that you can use as reference.

Step 2: Armor vs Body
After scanning my image I'm now going to create a copy and plan out which parts are armor and which are flexible body parts. We'll come back to this during rigging, but basically I'm planning on which pieces will deform with bones and which pieces will not.

Step 3: Color Scheme/Design
Making another copy of are original design I'm now going to do a quick color design. I'll use this as reference later when I start to texture the character model.

Step 4: 3D Scene Setup
Next I'm going to open up my favorite modeling package, here I'm using TS7.5, and I'm going to setup my scene. First I'll create a single sided plane object and add the original design image as it's texture. Then I'll scale the plane object to the image scale and rotate the plane until it matches up with the front view.

More to come, stay tuned!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-11 12:13:46
Your offset time is: 2024-05-11 12:13:46