Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Bloom effect without pixel shader , just CPU

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2011 17:10
Hi guys.

OK i am in the project and i have a PS model 2 card but most of my friends don't have it and i just thought that if is there a way that i can imitate the bloom effect without using a graphics card.

Like using a memblock. But i want full understanding of what you guys provide.
Thnx and love in advance.

Allah is the best!
May he forgive me and the extremist MOD who removed my sign.
No offence don't remove it. Plz , PEACE!
Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
You could grab the image of the camera, change the pixels around and show it on screen, i can imagine this would be a very very slow progress.

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2011 19:15
It won't perform anywhere near as fast as with a shader, in fact the performance would be so bad that you'd have to run using a very low resolution (640x480 or maybe lower) to get a decent frame rate.

Support a charitable indie game project!
Neotron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2011 19:34
But if i take the picture and size it down to 1/3 and then do the blurring technique wont it do?

Allah is the best!
Neotron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2011 23:21
Hey can someone help me with this . My progress is zero currently on this , so i need a jump start or jump finish . lol . No actually i don't know memblocks and pixel shader programming(i cannot use it).

So if anyone knows something or anything plz feel free to post .
Thnx in advance.

Allah is the best!
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2011 00:44
Quote: "But if i take the picture and size it down to 1/3 and then do the blurring technique wont it do?"

No, since that's not bloom. Your idea would basically apply a screen filter, although it'd dramatically reduce the quality of the image if you downscale it like that.

Support a charitable indie game project!
WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2011 04:50
http://www.oferz.com/Tutorials/BloomEffect/BloomEffect.html Shows how it's done using photoshop. The effect is acheived using a Gaussian blur and then the original image blended over it to keep the sharpness.

I know that DBP and GDK offers a blur effect but it's not very quick. I'm not sure though how you would blend the original image though. The blends can be alpha, screen, etc.

Warning! May contain Nuts!
Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "http://www.oferz.com/Tutorials/BloomEffect/BloomEffect.html Shows how it's done using photoshop. The effect is acheived using a Gaussian blur and then the original image blended over it to keep the sharpness."

I must say that is one of the most awful bloom effect I have ever seen.

Bloom should make the brither parts of a image brighter, while the dark parts stay dark. This will be only succesfull with shaders!

Blurring the screen and multiple the first layer, will simply not do the trick. Evolved and Bond1 has made a brilliant shader simulating reallife bloom (when you turn quickly your eyes from dark to bright). Now what you want to is learn fx, your friends have probable PS1...

Neotron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2011 22:57
Hey thanks guys.

So is there a way for me to learn HLSL programming the easy way ( i cant program in directx either).

Thanks in advance.

Allah is the best!
Mistrel
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
If you want it done in software you can copy the backbuffer, blur, and merge the result using an image editing library such as ImageMagick:

http://imagemagick.org/script/index.php

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-22 11:03:17
Your offset time is: 2024-05-22 11:03:17