Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Peregrin - Taster Version

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2003 17:19 Edited at: 18th Oct 2003 17:20
A little appetiser to show off my new physics engine and to prove that Peregrin actually does exist.

http://galaxyware.dbpcommunity.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=27

Tell me about any bugs or errors.

Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2003 17:29
Wont work, its not a zip, its not a valid 32bit Windows Application. Something went wrong when you uploaded it me thinks.

Magpie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2003 17:48
Dammit!
I knew it'd go wrong.
Try now.
Sorry

Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2003 17:54
Error in zip structure

Magpie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2003 18:00
<expletive>

Well, I'll just have to go upstairs, reload the files into a zip, unziup it here zip it up again and utterly fail one more time.

There's no justice.

And it was quite a good game too.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2003 21:50
All of them fail with me... why don't you RAR it and try that? RARs are smaller. And can be made into multipart archives.

--Mouse: Famous (Avatarless) Fighting Furball

A very nice %it, indeed.
Hell IVIonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2003 11:36
I'm pretty excited to see this demo! Helix, refer back to my forums please for some help with the issue.

Magpie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2003 18:17
Many thank you's and apologies to those of you who tried unsuccessfully to download this demo. I'll try and get it working soon.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2003 03:06
Good luck .

A very nice %it, indeed.
Magpie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2003 22:02
Sorry again. I think I've got it sorted now, I've sent a version to bryce using a more suitable upload and if all goes well, he'll be able to put it on the GalaxyWare forum using more administrative methods.

If men were machines would they break down as much?
Hell IVIonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2003 08:39 Edited at: 21st Oct 2003 08:40
Here's a working link for the demo:
http://galaxyware.dbpcommunity.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=28

The game looks like a good start. Few issues to address, though this is a beta, would be the speed, the collision detection (I went through a wall a few times), and the player controls and maneuverability. Anyhow, keep it up! It seems to be coming along well.

Magpie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2003 20:36
Speed: Do you mean the game speed of the craft speed?
Collision: Yeah, the walls can be a little... temperamental. But I'm working on yet another major engine change that will make everything so much easier for me and the players.
Player Controls: Huh? They're the same as SkyRoads and SkyCars
Maneuverability: Working on that.

Hell IVIonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2003 22:17 Edited at: 21st Oct 2003 22:24
I was referring to game speed, aka lag. Not sure if this applies, but there's a strange problem with DBC: if you color a bunch of objects, the game slows down much more than if you textured them. This has something to do with color diffusing...

By controls, I probably should have just said maneuverability. The keys you use are fine, but I think the craft is hard to maneuver. I'd give it some more acceleration/deceleration, and allow it to move sideways even when you're not moving forward. I used a sort of odd formula to determine player strafe speed:

xthrust# is strafe speed. thrust# is forward speed.
Though I took out a few variables, such as car-specific multipliers, for simplicity, you'll see that the xthrust# can only exceed .18*thrust# by .25. Thus, when thrust# is 0, xthrust# is at max .25.

Good luck!

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2003 23:00
Downloading now, will edit after I play .

A very nice %it, indeed.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2003 07:02
I'm afraid my download keeps stalling around 500k; I'm not sure what's going on

A very nice %it, indeed.
Magpie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2003 22:35
Mouse: Not sure what's happening with this. But since the whole thing is 5968k it seems you have a long way to go. When I was sending the thing to Bryce a few days ago I had a similar problem, the loading bar on my browser stopped at the full mark after about five minutes and then took an extra half-hour to go to the next screen. Maybe all you need to do is be patient a do other things while you're waiting for it to un-stick.

Bryce: My formula for moving the craft from side to side is very basic, and for some reason the one on the demo has backslid a little.

Old Version: for# = (speed#/5) I think it might not be 5 but this still gives you a general idea.

New Version (not in demo): for# = ((speed#/5)+0.1)

for# is the side speed, later in the code it says

moving = 0
if leftkey() = 1 then strafe# = strafe# - for#: moving = 1
if rightkey() = 1 then strafe# = strafe# + for#: moving = 2

Magpie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2003 22:39
Sorry, extra bit.

Game Speed: not sure how to remedy lag problems (I just look at your unlagger options in SkyCars and feel a curious empty feeling in my head) And I already use textures rather than colours. (5x5 sized except for special textures)

Hell IVIonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2003 02:52
Here's a little example file I created demonstrating Variable Sync Rate.

http://thehobbit.mine.nu/varsync.dba

Magpie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2003 22:29 Edited at: 23rd Oct 2003 22:30
Right, I'll try to work something like that into Peregrin. Thanx.

There's also a new camera approach in the most recent code. I call it elastic camera. Here's how it works:

There is the location of the ship. There is also a location called the Trace, which is in a good spot for seeing the craft. As well as these two, there is the actual camera location. The camera has a velocity in the x axis and the y axis. When the camera is not on the Trace, the velocity increases and takes it closer to the Trace, but it doesn't always stop exactly on it. The camera's velocities are restricted so that there will not be any confusingly fast movement, but enough so that the craft and the Trace won't leave it behind. What do you think?

Hell IVIonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2003 23:55
I considered doing something like this actually. I think it's a good idea. I would have incorporated it into my game had I not coded the camera and HUD positions so haphazardly.

Magpie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2003 17:59
Just finished the coding for elastic camera. It works quite well, although at first it did twang backwards and forwards and from side to side; it never centred on the Trace. I've sorted that out now, but it's a little jerky now.

I've also added coloured coronas round the craft to symbolise when powerups are active. They also lag behind the craft a bit, like the fire trail in skycars.

I'll add the variable sync rate later today.

I'm not actually sure how to remedy this clipping problem (experienced it a few times again today while testing - after I thought I'd solved it!) How does the block boundries and landing system work in SkyCars? I've tried three different ways, none of which worked properly.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 10:01:15
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 10:01:15