Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Pman (2D Shooter) - Full Length Game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2011 18:46
I made this all on my own. The only thing I didn't do was the sound. It's not perfect by far and I'm well aware of that so I'm not going to start posting about how great or clever I am. I'd just like some opinions/suggestions/feedback.

It's basically a top-down shooter (like Raiden Trad etc.) except it's designed to be funny. I suggest you play with a gamepad as it's quite a difficult game with the keyboard. Also, you need to download the patch too as my first release was a little less-than-stable.

For more info: http://roundphoenix.wordpress.com/penisman

For the VERY NECESSARY PATCH: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=B8JFVK5Y

For the game itself: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=05NM7CUK

There are 3 ways to do something: The right way, the wrong way and MY WAY...
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2011 21:49
Quote: "For more info: http://roundphoenix.wordpress.com/penisman"

Yeah this isn't going to be allowed here.

nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2011 12:53
Any thoughts on the actual game itself though (setting aside the mild vulgarity of it)?

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2011 15:20
I didn't download it, I don't trust a PA that doesn't abide by the AUP and has no screenshots.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2011 01:19 Edited at: 21st Jul 2011 01:21
I have to agree with C0wbox here, this is completely against the AUP (Acceptable Usage Policy) for the forum. There is no such thing as mild vulgarity, that's a contradiction in terms...

EDIT: If you didn't think the game was unacceptable why did you shorten the name for the purpose of the thread...?

nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2011 12:48
Sorry about no screen shots. That's why I left a link to the site. There are screen shots there. Still, I will dump some quick snaps here. You'll have to excuse the crudity of them but I just hurriedly did it with the windows snipping tool.

To everyone that comes here to criticize without even playing the game: The world is a naturally subjective place. We often form opinions based on perception rather than investigation. Why not play the game before condemning it? If nobody trusts the game/patch because of viruses or whatever then run the thing sandboxed (it should work, I hope lol). If you play the game and then tell me it sux and should be burned with fire, I'd be totally happy with that and thank you for your input but if you criticise it from a point of pure ignorance then obviously I'm gonna be upset.

@baxslash: Re the whole "no such thing as mild vulgarity" thing, I understand what you mean and under many circumstances I'd agree. However there are exceptions and this is one. The game is not just a bunch of crude rubbish but rather a parody of its genre but also an actual game. Aside from the appearance of the protagonist and 1 of the enemies which only appears on 1 level in the entire game, Pman is completely safe for even a child to play. Aside from anything else, why is a part of the anatomy vulgar? Only because society has beaten that into us. If we were living in a middle-eastern country then it would be unacceptable for a woman to show anything but her eyes so a game called "bikini woman" would be vulgar there. Sorry if I'm ranting, I'm just trying to better explain where I'm coming from.

Here's the first of the snaps. Will dump more below.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2011 12:50
Another screen shot...

Attachments

nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2011 12:50
And another screen shot...

Attachments

nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2011 12:51
And one final screen shot. Hope this is enough.

Attachments

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2011 13:06 Edited at: 21st Jul 2011 13:08
Quote: "We often form opinions based on perception rather than investigation. Why not play the game before condemning it?"

I am not condemning your game, just where you have posted it. It is against the forum rules to post a game of this nature as I am sure you will find out when a moderator sees this. The character is named after genetalia... how is that not vulgar?

Personally I have no issue with it, looks like a fun game maybe, but TGC do have an issue with this type of game. I was just warning you because you face being penalised for posting it. I'm on your side here.

Quote: "Aside from anything else, why is a part of the anatomy vulgar? Only because society has beaten that into us."

I would not want my six year old son to play a game containing genetalia, society has nothing to do with that, and even if it did that's because I choose to live as part of that society because I quite like having boundaries to what is acceptable behaviour.

This site is designed to be acceptable for young developers who may be as young as 12 who knows maybe younger, I was programming at around 8-10 years old.

Quote: "If we were living in a middle-eastern country then it would be unacceptable for a woman to show anything but her eyes so a game called "bikini woman" would be vulgar there."

...and your game would not be acceptable on their web site either...

All I am saying is:
1-You are going against what the owners of the website deem as acceptable to post
2-Find an appropriate place to put it
3-Don't be offended, this is NOT critisism of your game

EDIT: I got your unmoderated answer before it was posted here (for anyone wondering what I'm replying to)

nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2011 17:21
@baxslash: My apologies about how I came across. Now that I've had some time to think it over I realise I misinterpreted a friendly warning as a criticism. I understand what you mean now and I wasn't aware just how clean things were sposed to be here (I'm new). I'll be honest, I come from a world lacking much censorship. In my country it's okay to have shows that use language like $h!t and kr@p during daytime TV hours. Most kids I know have fouler mouths than me and their parents happily let them watch age-restricted films and play age-restricted games. So when people started saying my game wasn't acceptable, I kinda got defensive coz I felt like everybody was overreacting. I guess it all goes back to that "subjectivity" I mentioned. When I think about it, I suppose I'd be angry if I had a site and somebody disregarded the rules or tried to circumvent them.

@Everyone else: If anybody finds this game unacceptable, report it, flame me, whatever. If the mods wanna delete this thread or delete my account or both I'll accept my punishment because after having a chance to think about things, it occurred to me that I came onto your site and then complained about getting scolded for breaking your rules.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2011 17:31
I'm pretty sure that a mature and considerate response like that will go a long way in your favour.

I doubt very much you would be banned completely anyway, more likely this thread might get locked and you might get slapped for not reading the AUP (there's a link in the bottom right corner of every page in case you are wondering).

I hope you:
a)Don't get worse than a slap
b)Stick around and enjoy using TGC products as much as we all do!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 08:42:49
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 08:42:49