Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Retrogamer story - help

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm a writer for Retrogamer Magazine in the UK. We're doing a story on game creation software, and are obviously including the TGC programs.

I'm looking to highlight a couple of great community-made games built using the software. Can you guys recommend one or two games built on any version of:

- FPS Creator, and
- 3D Game Maker

I'm looking to find out what they were about, who built them and when. I'm new to the world of TGC so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Freelance journalist
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2011 14:27
For FPSC; look here and here.

-Keith

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2011 16:21
Why not feature some retro games made with DBPro? - it'l be more relevant than anything made with 3D Game Maker, and there are tons of examples, remakes... there was even a remake competition a few years ago.

Health, Ammo, and bacon and eggs!
rob_retrogamer
Years of Service
User Offline
@VanB - it's more a piece on game-making software for non-professionals, hence the focus on FPSC and 3DGM. It's my understanding that DBPro is more an industry tool?

@Keith - thanks!

How about games on the 3DGM? Anyone?

Freelance journalist
Insert Name Here
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2011 01:49
Quote: "it's more a piece on game-making software for non-professionals, hence the focus on FPSC and 3DGM. It's my understanding that DBPro is more an industry tool?"

I don't think you'll find any spectacular games made with 3DGM as it's a very simple tool, however there are plenty of brilliant games made with Darkbasic and Darkbasic Pro: The Evochron Games and SoulHunter to name just two. It's hardly a difficult language, but it's very versatile. It's also not much more complicated than the FPSC scripting system, and most of the really good FPSC games take advantage of addition scripts anyway.

Take a look at Program Announcements for more programs and games, and make sure to look way back because there's some pretty amazing old stuff in there.

rob_retrogamer
Years of Service
User Offline
@Insert Name Here: Well, the point of the story is to only discuss programs that don't actually involve any coding - things that operate primarily on GUIs. It was my understanding that 3DGM and FPSC are like this, and that DB and DBPro require some knowledge of the Basic language.

The story focusses on a lot of very basic game-making programs: from the Shoot 'Em Up Construction Kit to the Pinball Construction Set to the 3D Construction Kit to Klik n Play and onwards.

Freelance journalist
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2011 11:30
I would suggest that My Doodle Game might be worth looking at as well. It's a very friendly game creation system.

The problem with T3DGM is that it's more of a learning tool, like the basics of game design - people tend not to share their games, not like they do with FPSC.

Health, Ammo, and bacon and eggs!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 01:45:40
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 01:45:40