Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Why change to DarkGDK in VS2010?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey guys, so i was checking the website and i found that now its possible to use DarkGDK with visual studio 2010 right?

Ok then, but certainly it's updated and with less bugs than the one with vc++ 2008 right?

I just want to know what may change if i choose the new darkgdk.

Thanks

C++ Medium 3.5/5
VB6 Advanced: 4/5
VB.NET Advanced: 4/5
Mireben
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2011 14:47 Edited at: 24th Jul 2011 14:52
You mean the October 2010 update?

Quote: " certainly it's updated and with less bugs than the one with vc++ 2008 right?"

No. It looks like the same source code was simply recompiled with Visual Studio 2010 instead of 2008. So those libs have exactly the same features and bugs as in the last "normal" Dark GDK version.

About 8 months after this update was issued (and after several people already tried and failed with VS 2010), we finally received installation instructions as well. However, I still saw a person reporting in that thread that he can't compile in release mode with VS 2010. Maybe those who had better experience with it don't post, but I haven't seen lots of success stories yet...

I hate being negative (I like Dark GDK after all), but I have always felt that a new Dark GDK version for VS 2010 should be handled as a completely new product, with its own installer, thoroughly tested, etc. instead of giving the libraries almost as a "by-product". Just my personal opinion.

Also, even if you can use the base Dark GDK with VS 2010, maybe the plugins will not be compatible. Regarding that Dark GDK libraries had to be recompiled to work with the newer compiler, I suppose that plugins which are distributed in static library format would need to be recompiled as well. (If a plugin comes in DLL form, then it should work, but I have so far three plugins and they are all libs.) I cannot say this for certain because I haven't tried using either Dark GDK or plugins with VS 2010 yet (I felt it's safer to stick with what surely works and I was too lazy to experiment and learn again a new development environment), so if anyone has information on plugin compatibility, then please post. My last information comes from IanM's post here last November, see his reply to N3wton:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=177126&b=22&msg=2115248#m2115248

Nevertheless, I don't want to discourage you from trying VS 2010 if you wish. Only at present I don't see any advantage in it.
vitinho444
Years of Service
User Offline
Well i wont try if its the same. At least i tryed Visual Basic 2010 and it's exactly the same, the look is different but there's nothing new, well maybe some controllers updates and stuff.. i think microsoft ran out of ideas, look office 2010... same as 2007 and just the look is different.. xD

Thanks for the reply

C++ Medium 3.5/5
VB6 Advanced: 4/5
VB.NET Advanced: 4/5

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-18 13:55:09
Your offset time is: 2024-05-18 13:55:09