Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2011 23:02 Edited at: 16th Nov 2011 18:35

Developer: Astek

The Setting: - STORY IS BEING REVISED AT THIS MOMENT 11/16/2011 -
You play as a private eye, investigating the where abouts of an apartment owner who was reported missing over 2 years ago. He had owned the apartments for 30 something years but they have long since been closed off to the public and condemned for the poor living conditions. Recent reports have come in with people reporting lights being seen turned on within the apartments. Sometimes even a silloute of a man can be made out in the third story windows. Everyone in the neighborhood knows the apartments were abandoned long ago and many people are expressing their concerns over the sightings. It could be a terrorist headquarters or drug smuggling hideout for all that is known about it, and the public needs some answers. Only you were brave enough to risk your neck on this one. You're going in alone, and its time to learn the truth. The question is, are you ready to accept it?

Description:
This game will play out as more your normal survival game on these forums as I've tried my hardest to make you think. The story has no relation to the flops I've made in the past; this world is somewhat of a re-imagining of what I might should have done. I'm using FPSC Vanilla 1.18 but I might downgrade to fit some features if and when I decided to put them in. Thanks for looking and don't forget to tell me anything that you might have on your mind. I can only get better and I'm not going to get mad at any criticism.

Screenshots:

Stairwell 1

Apartment Room: Floor 1

DEMO REMOVED:

Whoever said that Intel graphics fail, obviously never owned a Core i5.
Leongamerz
Years of Service
User Offline
Woah its seems this game has pontential to be a commercial game.I really like your lighting and design so there is nothing need to critic for now,but you must keep practicing!.Well done.

Poloflece,Anayar,PWP,Henry Ham,Cosmic Prophet,Wolf,KeithC,Nickydude,Dark Goblin And Lee Bamber is my icon.

ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2011 02:25 Edited at: 2nd Aug 2011 02:44
Thanks for the comment Leon. I have updated the post with the 3rd and
final screenshot for now. I don't want to show off everything but I
will post some updates when I have them.

This map seems to be a memory hog by the way. I'm already hitting
1024mb of ram used and I'm not even halfway there. I guess I will
have to tactically split the map up. I have 8gb of ram and I assume
FPSC can use up to 4gb of it. However, most people don't
have much more then 2gb in their system.

I might need to test this on some other machines when I get the first map completed.

DarkJames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2011 04:20 Edited at: 2nd Aug 2011 04:26
a lil too dark, i'd try a more desaturated colour, Nice windows on the second screen? is that from Mp3?

btw, i actually loved that second screen so much, that i'll make something similar, different, but in the same style staircase for my DTO Entry on the tutorial level

Lets get into serious stuf
--------------------------------------
What about the blue text?.
ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2011 04:37 Edited at: 2nd Aug 2011 04:59
Quote: "a lil too dark, i'd try a more desaturated colour, Nice windows on the second screen? is that from Mp3?"

I'm playing around with the lightning and I've found some good results that I will update in this post to show.
As for the windows, they are actually from the WW2 stuff. I'm depending a lot of the stock media but I do have some custom stuff
here and there to break the game from being a stock title. Also, the lobby is going to be the darkest room for now. It barely
has any uncovered windows in the bottom and most of the lights don't work in the apartment anymore so you have to rely on light from outside.

Quote: "btw, i actually loved that second screen so much, that i'll make something similar, different, but in the same style staircase for my DTO Entry"

I hope you mix it up a good bit and throw your own style. I got nothing against mimicking but a flat out reproduction
would feel a little invading (in my opinion); go ahead though. Make it your own.

Okay, now some help and or suggestions needed:

Here is a comparison picture-

The picture on the top is how it already looks in my game. If the lighting strength could be increased, perhaps it could look like the bottom.
My question is, which one looks better or could the bottom picture be achieved in FPSC to be that bright?

Leongamerz
Years of Service
User Offline
WOW.I actually liked 2nd picture.Its seem so fit with your game.

Poloflece,Anayar,PWP,Henry Ham,Cosmic Prophet,Wolf,KeithC,Nickydude,Dark Goblin And Lee Bamber is my icon.

EGG HEAD OF DOOM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2011 06:08
The lighting all depends on the atmosphere and mood you want to convey to the player. The picture on top is a little more spooky and is more like your other pictures, which in my opinion is good and bad: good because it fits, bad because there wouldn't be any diversity in lighting throughout the game. The brighter picture is more memorable because of the strong shadows and has more of a mysterious feel. Those are my thoughts

Desecrated Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2011 08:07 Edited at: 2nd Aug 2011 08:08
Can anyone else not see the pictures? Or is it just me?

EDIT - I just had to right click to see them, anyways very nice job! I love the lighting and atmosphere! I will watch this

-Josh
Website is under construction
System Specs: AMD Phenom x3 2.2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 1TB HD, HD Radeon 5770 1GB, 22in Acer Monitor
Butt monkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2011 13:22
Between your two comparison pictures I prefer the top - it's more subtle. The lighting on the bottom picture is a little too harsh for my liking.

My main problem is that, while everything looks great on a technical level (I especially like those fences), the screens all look very bland. The first two are the main culprits - Everything is grungy, brown and dark. Nothing is telling me to play this game over the many other great horror titles on this forum. It needs something to spice it up a bit.

It's a very good start though!
DarkJames
Years of Service
User Offline
Dont worry Astek, i wont do a reproduction, so, no worries, mine takes place in a warehouse, your's in an apartment,

added you to my msn btw

kingofmk98
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2011 23:10
plz dont rick roll me
Dark Frager
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2011 00:10
Quote: "plz dont rick roll me"

huh?

To be honest, I prefer the full brightness picture, it creates a "Safe Haven" feeling, compared to your other darker screenshots (Which are pretty good actually).

My plan for today: 1. Wake up. 2. Live 3. Go to sleep.

ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2011 02:23 Edited at: 3rd Aug 2011 05:54
Thanks for all the replies everyone.

@ Dark Frager-

I know. I feel the same way dude.

Well, here is a bit of an update:

I'm planning to put a good bit of work into this game to make it at least 45 min - an hour long. I know 30 mins
is a good time frame to be achieved but I want to make this game even more worth while and fun.

That being said, I want to see if anyone here can help me on one important thing. First of all, I don't want any
door to be used in the traditional sense. I want to be able to use a door by walking up to it and then after pressing the
desired "use" key, you are teleported to the other side. Might I add that I want this to be used for BOTH ways so you can exit and enter multiple times.

If a version for a door that requires a key could be included, that would do me a world of favor. If the script could
perhaps point to a full screen hud and show it for 3 seconds,that would nail the desired effect perfectly.

If any of you played Amnesia, you might get what I'm talking about with the doors here.

I hate to look like I'm asking for the world, but I don't have a good idea of starting with the door system...
so perhaps the community will know how to address this. I will be sure to credit you and let anyone use the script(s).

Thanks again guys.
DarkJames
Years of Service
User Offline
Check the Script request thread on Script sections

Might Help ya

ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2011 00:05 Edited at: 4th Aug 2011 00:06
BIG UPDATE:

I'm cranking out major progress. I expect this game to be up for release by the end of this month.I'm going to send
a test build to multiple people and have them play this game for quality testing. If the majority of the players take
longer then 30 minutes to beat the game, I'm ready to fix any bugs and make a final compile by then.

I'm still needing that script but the script section isn't really for request and I KNOW a version of the script I need
is already out there in the hands of someone.

This game has become VERY puzzle-concentric and I've made some outside of the box scenarios in my opinion.
I've always wanted to make a game I'd LOVE to play, and well, I think this one is it.

Keep a watch on this thread guys! Release will be going down VERY soon!
Kravenwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2011 03:56 Edited at: 4th Aug 2011 04:07
Quote: "I'm still needing that script but the script section isn't really for request"

There's one or two threads in the script section at the moment where the OPS are taking requests. One free and one paid. You could try one of those;

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=187068&b=23

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=184686&b=23

Kravenwolf

sic1ne
Years of Service
User Offline
@ ASTEK i would love to test your game dusk on my new pc? let me know if u need a tester!

ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2011 18:52 Edited at: 4th Aug 2011 19:11
Quote: "There's one or two threads in the script section at the moment where the OPS are taking requests. One free and one paid. You could try one of those;"

I've already made plans to work with Ched on that. Thanks for the offer you showed before editing your post though.

Quote: "@ ASTEK i would love to test your game dusk on my new pc? let me know if u need a tester!"

I've got some people lined up but if anything happens and I need more then I will get back to you. I'm mainly trying to test its
performance on various lower end systems (single core, LOW budget cards, low memory machines, etc).

I've got 3 other gfx cards I'm going to test the game on:

Intel HD Integrated Graphics Chip
ATI 4250
Nvidia 8300

They are all low spec but that's the point. My main concern really is a memory bottleneck. I might not even recommend just
1GB on XP. It might have to be 2GB to skip on some longer loading. BUT, these are what these tests are for.

I've got 1 screenshot update and I will update it to the first post:

Don't expect a massive spill of screenshots however. I want to keep most of my level design a secret.
This picture is actually one of my favorite rooms so far. You will just have to play it to find out why.
Omegamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2011 23:11
That apartment room looks great

Kravenwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2011 01:02
Quote: "Thanks for the offer you showed before editing your post though."

Yeah. I skimmed through my files and flash drive as soon as I typed up that offer but I don't have the script anymore. Didn't want to give your hopes up I'm sure Ched will be able to whip something up for you though.

Kravenwolf

ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2011 08:04 Edited at: 8th Aug 2011 00:45
Quote: "That apartment room looks great"

Thanks man.

Quote: "Didn't want to give your hopes up I'm sure Ched will be able to whip something up for you though."

It's all good.

EDIT- I've changed my mind.

Your signature has been eaten by a llama. Sorry; that's just the way it goes.
Tinker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2011 08:17
A bit dark for me, but all in all the graphics is cool... Hope to see more updates about your game.

Effective, Efficient, Capable and Committed... That's me!
Omegamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2011 14:51
Could I test?
I really love the style of your game and I´m also good at puzzle games (In my opinion I played trough Amnesia 2-times and now I´m going to playtrough all Penumbra Games)

ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2011 19:25 Edited at: 5th Aug 2011 19:27
Quote: "Could I test?"

I'm accepting request the rest of this week. Hopefully by the start of next week, I will have names to select from.
I plan to either pick the names at random or compromise some other way. I will sit and figure it out.

Another update:

Woooh hooooo! I just hit the 1.85 GB limit! 1910 MB of ram used and counting! I've disabled the limit block but
only because I can. I've got 8GB of ram and I assume I can use up to 4GB of that... yet, I probably won't need more then 2 GB.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2011 06:24 Edited at: 7th Aug 2011 06:26
BUMP:

I've got a demo in the final stages of the build and I might end up just releasing it to the public. I know it ends a lot of
mystery to the puzzles and I'll have to change it up for the final release... but, oh well.

I've tested the demo on a laptop with these specs:

- AMD Athlon II P360 Dual-Core 2.3Ghz

- 3GB of DDR3 Memory

- ATI 4250 Integrated 512MB

- Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

Without it plugged in, I got an average of 6-10 FPS; sometimes worse.

Plugged in, I got an average of 25 FPS.

Moral of the story? This game won't play on a laptop, like this, unplugged. Plugged in however, its still enjoyable.

ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2011 04:53 Edited at: 18th Aug 2011 23:21

DEMO REMOVED:

After a little field testing, I've come to the conclusions that single-core machines will be hard pressed to play this game
at an acceptable frame-rate. If you have a decent graphics card however (comparative to a 8600GT) then perhaps you may
have better performance.

SYSTEM RECOMMENDATIONS:

- 2 GB RAM
- Graphics card with decent clock speeds/memory
- Any Dual-Core Processor or Higher

If you cannot play with an acceptable frame-rate, please download the attached file and place it in the "Dusk - Demo August" folder.
After that you can try and lower the texture resolution to see if performance increases.

I DO NOT give permission for videos showing how to solve the puzzles, to be uploaded.
Anything else other then showing how to solve the puzzles in the video is fine.

PLEASE LEAVE FEEDBACK! EVERY BIT HELPS!

Be sure to turn your volume up! You need to hear important things!

Attachments

darimc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2011 07:03
I just played some of it and it will definitely be BOTB worthy when finished. No doubt about it. I never finished it because it's nighttime and I got creeped-out by one of your scare tactics (which was not corny like the behind-play-enemy-spawn that most FPSC games use). But, I will finish it tomorrow. I have been working on a similar game to this, and thanks to you, I have been inspired to include a few more features.

ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Darimc.

It's just too bad people haven't looked at this thread since I put the demo up. Maybe I just need to give it a slight bump and
then people will notice. I was going to make a Showcase thread but I think I will just leave that for the end product.

So, yes, if anyone is reading this... why not try the game out? The demo is free to download by anyone.

michael x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2011 08:10
I try to play the demo but it just crash.no big deal its me i just cant load some people game on here.but it looks good man.

more than what meets the eye

Welcome to SciFi Summer
The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2011 10:28
I just played the demo a couple of times. At first I wanted to give a full review but there is one thing that really needs improvement because (at least for me) it totally spoils the fun.

That one thing is the investigate hud. It's very annoying that when it pops up, I have to guess what triggered it. Only when I hear the voiceover I know WHAT I've just investigated. And although the voiceover only plays once, the hud keeps reappearing which is ok for a door but tiring for the same locker/desk etc. Especially when paired with a dark environment and similar looking surroundings.

To improve this, I suggest you use the PICKOBJECT or at least the PLRFACING condition for triggering the "investigate" hud and that the script only runs once for containers.

Looking forward to play the next version of DUSK

In case you find my grammar and spelling weird ---> native German speaker ^^
ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2011 19:19 Edited at: 9th Aug 2011 19:19
Quote: "I try to play the demo but it just crash.no big deal its me i just cant load some people game on here.but it looks good man."

Did you download the file I posted and try that? Could you please post your pc specs?

Quote: "Only when I hear the voiceover I know WHAT I've just investigated. And although the voiceover only plays once, the hud keeps reappearing which is ok for a door but tiring for the same locker/desk etc. Especially when paired with a dark environment and similar looking surroundings."

That I didn't particularly like either. This version has 2 things I plan on getting fixed in the end already. The investigate huds
and then door system. At first I had no huds but a little testing made me realize that people who played it would get confused on what to do.

I can do what you suggested or drop the hud completely. I will look into it.

sic1ne
Years of Service
User Offline
i just now saw that the demo is up i will test it out and leave u a review thanks!!!

ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2011 22:13 Edited at: 11th Aug 2011 22:14
UPDATE:

I'm beginning polishing stages on level 2. I still have MANY puzzles to throw out and perhaps some more unseen goodness.
More over, I've pretty much nailed the hardest parts down and my work from here on should be much easier and less time consuming.

I'm thinking of submitting this for BOTB but I do want to polish the game a bit more before doing so. Reviews from people just
like you is the only thing that makes it happen. So get to playing guys!

ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2011 06:03 Edited at: 15th Aug 2011 06:05
BUMP:

I HATE to bump my own post but I feel like people just aren't getting a chance to look at it or perhaps this bump would
spark some needed interest.

So guys, play the demo and tell me what you think. I can't really improve on anything if no one tells me anything.
Speaking of improvements, I'm going to kick the "Investigate" hud. The loading screen before the first level or a video will give
players the insight they need to interact with the world. I felt like people needed it but in a sense, StoryTeller is more right, there.

I will post another screenshot once I get a little more developed. I'm hoping to release this from anywhere between the end
of August to somewhere in September. Hypothetically I could wait until October to be a big Halloween release but I just
can't see me waiting an enter month just to release on 1 special day.

Depending how well reception goes with the game on the forum, I might consult STEAM and see if I can qualify to sale.
I feel that the end product I'm shooting for will no doubt be worth just a few bucks. I mean, you can rent movies for $1
today and it only takes away an hour or two from the day. This would be well worth a few bucks, in my honest opinion.

ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2011 06:03 Edited at: 15th Aug 2011 06:03
FORUM DOUBLE POSTED

Fuzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2011 07:12
ASTEK, I'll give you game a test later and let you know what I think. Looks good.

ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Fuzz.

Just a tad bit of an update:

I've made the final version of level 2 minus some voice work I have to do but everything gameplay wise is done!

I think if I keep the same pace I'm going at, this game could be seeing a release at the end of this month.

ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2011 23:20 Edited at: 15th Nov 2011 19:38
: POST REDACTED :

ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Update:

Alright, to make sure this thread doesn't get auto-locked, I wanted to post a mini-update.

I'm planning to stick close to the formula but perhaps change some things around to make it fit and flow better.
That being said, I do want to request continued help from StoryTeller so perhaps if he doesn't read this, I will send an email.
Also, I know I backed away from doing some voice work for other people but I'd be willing to trade voice work. I'm needing a person
with a deeper voice then mine to play an older character in Dusk.

I can't really offer any money payment at the moment, so voice work trade-off seems the next fairest thing.

I'm going to update this thread instead of the showcase and you can see as I polish the game and story.

Thanks for looking.

ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2011 18:33 Edited at: 16th Nov 2011 18:34
I hate to do a quad post but I'd rather do this then open a new thread entirely. Much of this game will remain (mechanically) the same.
I am however experimenting with some outdoor environments to further add a sense of "location" to the player. For the whole first
build you were indoors. I'm trying to bridge the outdoor scenes with inside scenes and set sort of a "foreshadow" thing.

The weather and time period will fluctuate throughout the game to give the player a sense of a "living world". The location this all
takes place at is still being revisited so I will not disclose any rewritten plot and setting details at this time.

Attached is a picture of a piece of the outdoor environment. Below is a video of a test walk-through if you wish to watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTkdSyA6pak

Attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 11:30:01
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 11:30:01