Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPS Creator X10 / [X10] Dynamic Entity Lighting Fixed

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2011 22:45 Edited at: 6th Aug 2011 22:46
The Fix:

Ok, I was playing around with the built in wibblyrelief shader.

For those whom have no knowledge of it; load up FPSC X10, click open map, then go into the customeffect folder and open the wibblyrelief test map.

I then set about adding the shader to different media and seeing the effects. Whilst testing a fake wall, I noticed that - though it was dynamic - it was reacting to light properly. After looking at the _N.dds file for it I found out how to prevent the wave effect of the shader from happening! Thus allowing for properly shaded entities!

Here is a screenshot (attached) of it working on a stock crate - all the crates in the screen are dynamic. I will upload a video soon and write a tutorial.

I am indeed pleased

[center]

Attachments

Login to view attachments
ThoughtWire Software
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2011 23:27
I have yet to do more tests, it may not work under certain conditions etc. I'll have a look though and post progress here.

[center]

ThoughtWire Software
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2011 13:33
Sorry For Triple Post But... Video!

After performing more tests, some of which include scripts being used on the entities, then comparing it to other entities. The wibblyrelief entities never experienced the lighting error, as opposed to the normal ones which did show errors in more than half of the tests.

This video shows a small room full of large crates (using the wibblyrelief shader) and small crates (normal). See the difference - that is if the quality of the recording is good enough:

Guide coming soon.

[center]

budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Hard to get
Posted: 7th Aug 2011 14:33
Great find, a little strange that it does that, but at least there's a fix for it.

Be yourself, but make sure you don't sound like a dying sheep.
srealist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2011 21:03
Ahhhh!!!! I want to know the fix.

Thanks!
michael x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2011 21:47
@ ThoughtWire Software
could you also test this out on characters.they have the same weird effect of being to bright.great job cant wait to see the guide on this.

more than what meets the eye

Welcome to SciFi Summer
ThoughtWire Software
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2011 23:18
@ srealist I'll write up the guide tomorrow, patience is key

@ michael x It is an interesting idea, I'll try it. I'm unsure how the normal wibblyrelief shader would act on characters anyway. I'll find out

[center]

srealist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2011 00:14
Patience? What's that?

Oh you mean that thing that I expect everyone to have with me but I don't have with anything else? I didn't know there was a word for that thing.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 04:09:44
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 04:09:44