Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPS Creator X10 / [X10 Tutorial] Lighting On Dynamic Entities

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2011 12:03 Edited at: 19th Aug 2011 21:57
[center]Lighting On Dynamic Entities:

You will need either Photoshop or GIMP

Step One: Textures

Open the entities _D2 first. If it does't already have a white alpha channel, give it one.

^ This is what it should look like in Photoshop.

Once you've done that, save the texture - in the same file as the original - as whatever it was called before but at the end put: _dyntex_D

Next, run (if you are on Photoshop) the normal map filter plugin. If you do not have Photoshop or the normal map plugin use any normal map creation tool/plugin on the texture then open it back up.

Add an alpha channel to this normal map, again it must be completely white.

^ It should look like this in Photoshop

This must then be saved as the same name with _dyntex_N at the end.

Now, re-open your _dyntex_D and turn it black and white using your chosen software's, black and white filter or saturation tool. Then change the alpha channel from being completely white to black.

^ It should look like this in Photoshop and be saved as _dyntex_S

All the required textures have been created, onto step 2.

Step 2: Using The Shader

Fire up FPSC X10. Create a simple room with a light. Then add your chosen entity into the room. Right click then entity; ensure it is set to dynamic else it will not appear when using the wibblyrelief shader. Change the name of the texture in the texture field to your new _dyntex_D. Then change the effect field to effectbank\skinning\wibblyrelief.fx.

Then run the test game and there you have it! Proper lighting on dynamic entities.

Thank you for reading!

srealist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2011 14:17
Woah.....No idea how you figured out the dyntex or calling a shader from the skinning folder that isn't even in the skinning folder but this works folks.

Great..now I have to rename all my textures and change all my fpe files.

Awesome, great, super awesome great work!
srealist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2011 14:33 Edited at: 8th Aug 2011 14:52
*Edited for being a bad scientist.
ThoughtWire Software
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2011 14:42 Edited at: 8th Aug 2011 14:48
Indeed, though this could be solved I suppose by using immobile dynamic objects as static. Though I'm unsure what that will do to performance.

Also, the 'dyntex' part of the filename is just something I added to make sure you know your dynamic textures from your static ones.

I just ran a test, try using a different entity as the static one. If this is the case, you may have to make 2 versions of the entity, a static and a dynamic one.

Though I am still unsure, I'll do more tests.

:EDIT:

Make sure you aren't using the wibblyrelief shader on a static entity, this can cause problems.

[center]

srealist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2011 14:47
I was a bad scientist and compounded my test by doing something stupid. Will edit my post above. I used the wibbly shader on my static entities which I believe caused this effect. When I changed them back to bumpent.fx, and left the dynamic crate using the wibbly shader, everything looked great.

Lesson: don't use the wibbly shader on static and dynamic entities in a scene.
ThoughtWire Software
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2011 14:48
Just as I edited my post

[center]

srealist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2011 14:51
LOL, I know! Glad to see we came to the same conclusion.
ThoughtWire Software
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2011 14:53
Indeed, I just tested it and it works fine so long as static entities use bump.fx and dynamic ones use wibblyrelief.fx

I'm still gunna do some more tests though, don't want anything creeping up on us when we least expect it.

[center]

Squalker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2011 21:35
You forgot to mention to save the third texture as a _S file
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
i find having just a d2 n and s without an effect works a treat, as that is what i did with my models fighting,

just named the main texure d2
then normal mapped it N
then a specular (the tricky one) s

no effect and they come up a treat, can you do a screenie for me to see if this is better still?

an unquenchable thirst for knowledge of game creation!!!
srealist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2011 16:37
SB are you referencing the D2 as D2.dds or D2.tga when you do not declare the shader? I've never understood referencing the shader when it doesn't exist (as in, bumpent.fx is a ps2 shader that we don't actually use). So what you say makes sense.
srealist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2011 16:58
Eh...tried this with the grunge crates. Can you tell which entity is dynamic with shaders? I'm increasingly of the mindset that shaders are best used on static entities and certain segments.

Everything else in this scene is static other than the light (which has a shader), the door on the elevator (which has no shader), and the crates on the right (which has no declared shader but is using the D2 technique).

srealist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2011 17:48
Here's what they look like as static entities btw:

science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2011 00:10 Edited at: 21st Aug 2011 00:11
when i do my people, i use 1 _d2.dds
1 _n.dds
1 _s.dds ( my spec is actually quite dark )

this actually makes the pick up more subtle

i do not have a _d at all so there are only 3 textures.

here is a result

an unquenchable thirst for knowledge of game creation!!!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
srealist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2011 18:57
Your characters looks awesome SB... really really good

I agree about the dark spec maps.

In this endless debate about what technique works, lemme throw one more out there to try. Similar to what Thoughtwire has suggested in actually declaring a PS4 shader, try common/weapon.fx. It's a different shader effect and it will definitely not create overly bright entities. However, the spec and normal might be a little too subtle for some. To see the normal and spec, just turn the ambient light to zero and , just as with the weapons, you can't see the color map but you can still see some bumpiness and specularity.

Just another technique that produces slightly different results.

I'd be curious to try weaponhand.fx on a character. When I tried it on crate, it made the top of the crate skin tone colored-ish...lol
Worf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2011 20:20
Hi.

Any change of doing a Dummies guide on this for people like myself who has know idea what you are talking about as i am just starting out on FPS Creator?

Many Thanks

Worf.
ThoughtWire Software
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2011 21:51
Sorry, but I can't really dumb it down. Though before attempting this I suggest learning to make segments/entities and learning how to apply shaders to segments/entities and (unless you already have an existing knowledge of Photoshop - or another professional image editing software) learn to make all the required textures in Photoshop or another image editing software before cracking on at this.

[center]

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 21:01:34
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 21:01:34