Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Hunter

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2011 06:01 Edited at: 2nd Oct 2011 22:57
ON HOLD!

This game probally isnt ready for a W.I.P. post. But I need somewhere to have my team talk. And get ideas from my fellow coders. If you want to help on this project, just ask.
And this WAS made some time ago, but I forgot about it, I have started working on it again and need help.

Hopefully it will include a campaign, and multiplayer at the least.

The game is a survival game about a hunter getting lost in the forest and having to hunt, scavenge, and fight for his survival. There might also be indians. Or a village or anything similar, will most likely be taken over later in the game leaving him stranded once again. (Still thinking about that, it could be survival, or end up just being hunting for the kingdom, then eventually, after you've learned and gotten somewhat good at the game, the kingdom gets destroyed, and the survivors are scattered. And you're all alone.)

Of course I'm still open to suggestions, this project is mainly to help me learn. But anyone may help.

Also, turning this into a text adventure and doing graphical stuff later.

DOWNLOAD THE FILES AT BOTTOM, THE SOURCE CODE WILL KEEP UPDATED HERE.

UPDATES------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATES------------------------------------------------------------

SOURCE CODE HERE! (Don't forget Remarks.)

JOBS AVAILABLE

Programmer (2, Also maybe an AI coder?)

Mob Artist/Animator.

Object Artist (I will assume this position until someone takes over)

Special Effects

Music/Sounds

Voice Acting (Maybe)

Someone who can code a map editor (It would help alot)
OR a Level Builder.

And if you're still reading this, it's also attached.

Too lazy to make a signature.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Darkzombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2011 06:02 Edited at: 31st Aug 2011 23:08
Pre-Alpha 0.2

Made a standard engine. Gravity, collision, player input, you know. I probally didnt do it the best way, in fact probally the worst way. I really need help. And again, this is helping me learn better ways and techniques.

Source is updated.

Darkzombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2011 06:02 Edited at: 31st Aug 2011 23:07
Pre-Alpha 0.3

Working...

Zaxtor99
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2011 06:29
LOL, YES!! ..I expected "something" !!

Sheeeesh.

Very clever though.

Just a question. Do you have ANY ideas except for just the name "Hunter?" or is this just a prank post? lol.

- Zaxx
Darkzombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2011 06:33
Well the game is a survival game about a hunter getting lost in the forest and having to hunt, scavenge, and fight for his survival. There might also be indians who will either be a agressive, or nice. On a random scale.

-------------------SIG---------------------------------

Zaxtor99
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2011 06:51 Edited at: 10th Aug 2011 06:53
Cool Cool.

Might I suggest making this a text adventure game to begin with, just to get some actual "code" flowing? I personally am NOT a huge fan of having to figure out syntax for a game and typing it out such as "go east" or "east" or even E. Ugh, it turns me off, even though I don't mind playing a well thought out text adventure at all.

So an idea would be to have a status bar at the top or to the side of the screen showing your characters stats, such as health, inventory, and other information such as perhaps how hungry or thirsty he is... maybe even a "how he feels" status.

Then perhaps use simple line commands to draw out boxes with available options on the screen below the text adventure page where a player could just CLICK with the mouse cursor neat little boxes such as "Go East" or "Eat" or "INV" etc.

Just a thought on keeping it simple enough to where I could help you out myself if you get stuck. I don't know how advanced you are though. You are probably way above my "beginner" level, if so just scratch my suggestions here.

Again, just ideas for ya.

- Zaxx
Darkzombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2011 06:58
Well if you want to help on the project. Just ask, I can send the source code to you over email or steam or something else. I only have the main loop, and will do some editing first, but you can start working and send me an example. I know how to do stats. But I was going to do that later. I just want to focus one at a time, starting at menu, and intro screen.

-------------------SIG---------------------------------

Darkzombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2011 21:02 Edited at: 29th Aug 2011 08:16
SORRY FOR DOUBLE, PLEASE REMOVE

Zaxtor99
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2011 05:33
Hehe, I'm not so much saying that I want to help Darkzombies as that I will likely try and help you if you run into any snags along the way. I don't have tons of programming experience myself, but I do know that from the sounds of it, you need to do a LOT more pre-planning before rushing to code menus and main loops and even intro screens.

In fact, I would probably focus on planning everything in the game itself out pretty good first.. then program the game first, then add the "polish" last such as a intro screen, menus, etc. For example, why make menus and instructions now if you don't even know what all the options and selections will be yet.. or how they will even fit into this game?

For example, if this is going to be a text adventure, its VERY important to draw out on paper all the locations (rooms), the directions to each and what kind of rooms and items/enemies might be in each "room" or area. Doing this will make programming your game 10 times easier and also likely give you a much better overall product at the end. It will save you TONS of time in the end, trust me on this.

Regardless of what kind of game it is going to be, pre-planning is vital. If it's going to be a graphical game, then what kind of graphical game? side-scrolling 2D sprites? 3D world with 3rd person perspective? How many monsters (or enemies) will there be? How will your health be impacted, and what items or ways can the player restore health (if at all)? Will there be weapons/upgrades possible beyond what the player starts with? How will the controls work? Will it be WASD keyboard controlled? Mouse? Both? Controller controlled? What buttons do what? - And on and on. You need to pre-plan out most of this stuff ahead of jumping into programming and certainly before trying to recruit people to help you code it! I mean this is going to be YOUR game and YOUR idea after all right?

While your idea sounds fine, it sounds like you need a LOT more plans on how it's all going to work. And nobody is likely gonna be willing to jump in and help you if they don't have a clue what you're trying to accomplish here beyond just a basic idea. This is stuff you need to get done first and be able to clearly describe in detailed points.

Not only that, planning is probably one of the most "fun" parts of your whole project! Coding it and making those plans and ideas come to fruition is the tough part where you might need to ask for help along the way... and where you might very well learn that your ideas and plans are over your head and/or abilities and that you need to scale back everything you initially wanted in your game.

Who knows, but it all starts with clear, concise planning about EVERYTHING in your game FIRST. Along the way, more ideas might spark when you start coding, or you might decide to change certain things along the way. But jumping into coding and asking for help without much more detailed plans now is kind of like saying you wanna SWIM across the ocean without any boats, tools, or airplanes to get you there and without even knowing which direction to start swimming! you'd bound to get waves come in crashing over your head all too soon resulting in much more frustration and feelings of hopelessness then if you plan things out better now.

I'm only trying to help you out here pal, so please don't take my advice as anything negative.

Good Luck and keep us posted on how this project comes along! There are many, many very helpful and knowledgeable people on these forums!

- Zaxx
Darkzombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2011 07:40 Edited at: 29th Aug 2011 08:15
REMOVE PLEASE

Darkzombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2011 06:45
It's been about a week or so, I sortof forgot about this. I was going to make the game Isometric, but thats sortof complicated, if someone is willing to do images and help me out a bit, that would be great.

It will probally end up a sidescroller. The one person doing art is busy, so I will need someone else to do it.

Thanks in advanced to anyone who will help.

Martin Donat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2011 12:47
What images will you need ?
Maybe I Can help...

the leader of Mouseking studio

Darkzombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2011 21:02 Edited at: 29th Aug 2011 23:52
Well it depends. Just some simple animations of some simple hunter guy with a hood or something. We need walking and fighting animations (In both directions)

As well as animals and possibly indians (That was just an idea)
Also might need something cool like dragons or skeletons, but you probally don't want to do all the animating...

And for the scenery. Just ground peices we can put together, maybe a building or so. I can do all the trees and stuff. You, or any artist who wants to help, focus on animating mobs and the character.

EDIT: Made an intro screen image, how bout' you do menu, then art. I will make placeholders for now. It's attached.

I'm trying to think of more things to make this interesting. Maybe a town that gives missions and gets destroyed later on, then you're stranded with demons and skeletons and such.

Attachments

Darkzombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2011 03:48 Edited at: 30th Aug 2011 03:49
Sorry For Double Post.

But I had to upload another image, this is what I expect the hunter to look like, I'm not the best artist, but you get the point, course it could be whatever, it could wear a leather tunic with a hood, I was just keeping it classy, whatever looks good and fits the artists style.

MIGHT HAVE TO DOWNLOAD TO GET A GOOD LOOK!

Attachments

Martin Donat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2011 18:11
Ok, I make animation in images (first image of animation, second ... last image) an you have to code this animation (paste image 1, 2, 3 ...)

Darkzombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2011 22:16
Ok, so you're mob artist/animator?

Anyone else who can help?

kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2011 22:44
I could help if i wouldn't be too busy with android development

http://www.kamacdev.wordpress.com ~ My developer blog, mind paying a visit ?
Martin Donat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2011 18:47
@ Darkzombies

Yeah, I am Mob Artist/Aniator

Martin Donat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2011 19:14 Edited at: 2nd Sep 2011 19:58
@ Darkzombies

Here is my first draw of Hunter Character (he looks a bit like Zelda with that green hood )

Attachments

Darkzombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2011 20:17 Edited at: 2nd Sep 2011 20:20
Seems simple enough, but remember, I'm just learning. So I'll probally be using mirror sprite. just make a walking and fight animation in right.(Then mirror in GIMP or something else, it's faster than mirroring every single animation in the code)Though I think we really need more programmers at the moment. I'm fine with using temp art right now.

Also, really important tip: make the background transparent then save as .png

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
@Darkzombies
It seems you are still just starting off as a coder. I'd advise you to start a lot smaller and simpler, you will learn a lot quicker that way. Usually best to make something below your limit or close to it but never above it because there are so many things you can still learn and tricks to pick up from simple little programs.

If you ever need quick art, you can always just use simple solid shapes using basic codes or do a google search for sprites there are many free ones out there. If it's not exactly what you want just use it as place holders until you get the sprites you need.

It's easier to make a clone of a game you like rather than making up a new game. Once you gain more experience then it won't be hard to do what ever you want.

Cant really offer more than just advices. If you ask for knowledge you'll very most likely get it on the forums but anything else....

---------------------------------------------------------------

I took a look at your file. You need to get something working like display an image or put some text up, anything functional is a plus.

I see you already set up a few subroutine calls, but it's pointless if nothing works. Just forget about all that and start making something happen on the screen. Once things are happening then you can put it into a subroutine and make a call to it. This is what I mean about starting small and you take it one step at a time.

If you're really lost here's a checklist you can follow, take it one step at a time:
- Put up the background image.
- Put player on the screen. Use the cheap box statement if you have to.
- Control player, move with keys, etc.
- Put platform on the screen
- Add collision checks.
- Add physics such as gravity, etc.
- Add npc, you can just clone the player.
- Give npc simple AI like follow player.

Darkzombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2011 09:13 Edited at: 4th Sep 2011 21:28
thanks. I am still learning... This is probally the first major thing ive done. Tired of making small programs. i havent been working on this much. I know all the syntax. Im just horrible at peicing it together. Can you help organize my engine part of it in Game: ?

And this isnt actually what I WANT to do. I just figured a game about a hunter can help me learn about doing projectiles and all that. (Well not specifically that. I'm guessing thats pretty basic, just something that does +1 on the x coordinate?)

Also I don't really think a clone would help. Either way I got to do the same stuff (Well not completely) but you know. Might as well get people to help me. I can learn from what they input too. I'll try to do more work than I do on this. I just get confused in my own code sometimes. Need someone to help me get more organized...

Martin Donat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2011 10:47
@ Darkzombies

Can you tell me, what you need for a first functional example of this game (what images) ?

kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2011 17:57
@ Martin Donat

Quote: "Here is my first draw of Hunter Character (he looks a bit like Zelda with that green hood )"

Nice Habbo Hotel sprites edit

http://www.kamacdev.wordpress.com ~ My developer blog, mind paying a visit ?
Darkzombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2011 21:12 Edited at: 7th Sep 2011 01:34
Like I said. We need programmers more than artists. When we get an actual game going. Then we'll start making the actual art. And what I'll need is just some hunter animations going right (Walking, fighting(Shooting, and Melee, with a knife of course))
Then mirror them in a program like gimp to make the left animations.

Also some mobs like deer and cows ect. We'll deal with the monsters later. I want that to happen later in the game.
Just walking/running animations for them.

EDIT: got school soon, will be much more busy now.

melanieS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2011 11:32
hey folks, what does W.I.P. means? sorry don't have any idea bout it..

MS
heyufool1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2011 23:13
Quote: "hey folks, what does W.I.P. means?"

Work In Progress

"So hold your head up high and know. It's not the end of the road"
Switch Game Engine
Darkzombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2011 20:16
so anyone up to do a map editor? Or just help me in some way

Darkzombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2011 02:25
I think we ought to change this into a text adventure for now, and add in graphics later, cause at the moment, I don't have much time to code, plus I'm having a bit of trouble with the sprites.

P.S. sorry for double.

Martin Donat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2011 11:01 Edited at: 13th Sep 2011 11:01
I can do a little help to you with coding/using sprites.

Darkzombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2011 17:25
can you help at all with the text adventure? we'll figure out sprites later, we need something working first, and i've been awfully busy with schooland all that.

Martin Donat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2011 12:03
Here is a little example of text adventure, I made it about 6 months ago.

We can do the game like this.

Darkzombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2011 18:04 Edited at: 16th Sep 2011 18:17
great, now can we do that with text commands and some sort of interface?

also, i would suggest all recent happenings become a log, sortof like this

Or something so text goes up everytime. We would probally need a variable switchboard and a function for it, but its good for now.

EDIT: I see now what you meant by a long time ago, you probally know by now goto is horrible to use xD

Neuro Fuzzy
Years of Service
User Offline
@DarkZombies
In case you didn't notice what kamac said, I'll make it clear:
the sprite Martin Donat showed you was just a slightly modded image of a sprite from Habbo Hotel. You shouldn't use it in your game, except as a placeholder graphic.

Why does blue text appear every time you are near?
Darkzombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2011 05:42 Edited at: 2nd Oct 2011 22:38
I had my internet and cable shut off for some time... gah!
but I made this text adventure out of boredom.

Forgive the messiness. I just am really annoyed by some of these bugs.

EDIT: Ok, since we're not getting anywhere. Lets do something else. I started this project. But am having trouble, I have no idea why, but alot of the things I do wont work even though Ive done similar things. But anyways, if anyone wants to help, I expect more work to be done, I mean everyone involved only really posts like once a week maybe. So its attached. I need images, and some coders.

Attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 20:21:06
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 20:21:06