Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Tier 1 Distribution question

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2011 23:38
I read and read and read the new website, the FAQ and several other posts, but I still couldn't figure out few questions I have, mainly about the tier 1 mode.

1> I understand the limitations on distributing tier 1 applications directly to app stores because of the interpreter, etc... Based on that, I still don't understand:

1.1> Is TGC publishing method already available? If no, when is this going to be up and running?
1.2> How about Windows and Mac desktops. Can I distribute my game directly? Is there a way to distribute the player and the game as a unique package (in a way the user doesn't have to download the player separately) ?

2> I didn't find any reference to performance when using the tier 1 mode. It would be great if we have a comparison (performance-wise) with something like Flash. This is very important mainly on mobile devices. Where/When is this going to be available?

Thanks

Paulo

Paulo
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2011 00:35
I haven't seen any real performance issues with Tier 1. It runs fine on PC, Mac and iPod Touch. Though no one has yet made a game extensive enough to really push the boundaries. Time will tell..

There seems to be some ongoing confusion about the player.

The standalone player is strictly for TESTING YOUR app. You will not be distributing the player, nor will the general public just run the player by itself. It's a development testing tool.

When you compile your app into it's bytecode form, it is linked to a COPY of the player on that machine. You can take that EXE and the media folder for your app, which contains the compiled bytecode file of your app, zip that up and distribute it to Windows users without having to do anything else.

For Mac you'll take the bytecode file and put it in an app folder on your Mac and use the XCode template project provided with AppGameKit to compile a Mac executable that contains the player that will only run your bytecode. It's the same process as the EXE on the PC, but for the Mac version. Again you can package that and distribute to Mac users without having to do anything else.

For other platforms there are similar processes to get your bytecode joined with a copy of the player. The player at that point will only run your bytecode file and no longer performs as a testing app.

For those platforms that have locked devices (typically phones) you'll have to publish through an app store.

MobileCreator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2011 16:38
Hi,

thanks for your answer. Now it is clear how to proceed on PC and Mac. I'd suggest that this answer is added to the FAQ on the new website. I revisited it today, and I didn't find this specific information explained as clear as in here.

How about the TGC publishing option. Is this already on?

Thanks again

Paulo

Paulo
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2011 19:45
They are likely working out some details of that. The main focus is on getting version 1.0 of the AppGameKit out the door. Once that's done and there are no major problems then they will focus on other things.

I suspect they will offer the publishing option through TGC, but we'll have to wait until they are ready.

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
I guess that once you finish your game 100% you just email TGC and send them a copy of your game, and wait their reply.

But I guess it will take quite some weeks/months until such games start to appear!
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2011 23:45 Edited at: 14th Aug 2011 00:03
Quote: "But I guess it will take quite some weeks/months until such games start to appear! "

The sooner the publishing system is available, the better.

My first AppGameKit game planned is a board game that is older than the Pyramids. (I'm starting out simple, you know, back to the BASICs)
I have held a seance to contact a spirit to explain the rules to me, but I felt another presence insisting on another way to play the game.
So, I'll have to make both set of rules for game play to be authentic because there are more ways to play it than just one.

MobileCreator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2011 01:31
While I agree the games will take a while to show up, it would be nice to know how it will work, and what the advantages/disadvantages of it.

This information could make me decide the Tier 1 option or not.

But I'm not in a hurry, so let's see what happens

Thanks

Paulo

Paulo

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 09:59:54
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 09:59:54