Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / [LOCKED] AGK Temporary Bug Report Thread

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2011 17:45 Edited at: 5th Sep 2011 15:45
There is now a dedicated AppGameKit bug board: http://code.google.com/p/agk/issues/list. Please post there.

I reject your reality and substitute my own...
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2011 19:02
I have ZoneAlarm installed and each time I compile/run/broadcast an AppGameKit program, even the same one, a zone alarm popup tells me AGk wants to access the internet, even if I set the setting (in ZoneAlarm) to 'always let AppGameKit access the internet' the pop still appears.

It's rather annoying to have it pop up each and everytime I compile/run/broadcast.

2Beastmode4u
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2011 19:16 Edited at: 15th Aug 2011 19:18
Here is one:

If you chose to just run your code and not broadcast, it will rund the last build, not the updated code.

Cheers.
EDIT:
Never mind, you have to press compile first. Pressing run will only run the last build but if you press compile then run, it works.

God help me, Please.
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2011 19:17
I've sorted out the zonealarm issue, you need to manually allow AppGameKit to access the 'Trusted Zone' and the 'Internet'.

Jimmanator
Years of Service
User Offline
I found a bug: if you run agk at the same time as dbpro then the mistakes in your code go to the dbpro editor and highlight a random line in the dbpro editor and show no errors in the agk window.
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2011 19:33 Edited at: 15th Aug 2011 19:33
Is this an error in the help file? It says to select the box shape for collision, which is 2 according to the list, but is a 1 in the example?

Quote: "Setting the collision shape of a sprite is handled by the command SetSpriteShape. This command takes two parameters with the first being the ID number of the sprite and the second the shape type. Possible values for this are:

0 - no shape
1 - circle
2 - box
3 - polygon

Given that our sprites are boxes it makes sense to select the box shape so our code is:

SetSpriteShape ( spriteA, 1 )
SetSpriteShape ( spriteB, 1 )

If we used boxes then the collision will still work, but perhaps not be entirely accurate. In another example we’ll look at this in more detail and understand the relationship between a sprite and its collision shape."

Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2011 19:45
Likely to be a mistake in the example listings. Will get it corrected.
BiggAdd
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2011 03:28 Edited at: 25th Aug 2011 03:20
I'm not sure if its a feature, but when I try pass in a UDT to a function

FUNCTION test(var as varType)

The program compiles, runs then just freezes.
Can you pass in UDTs into functions? And can you return them?

If not, then I suppose the fact the compiler ignores the UDT->function call is an error.

EDIT: Just to speed up checking, the code which causes a crash:

EDIT2: Just found out that returning a UDT from a function works! (Huzzah!) So its just passing a UDT into a function causes a crash.

Neuro
Years of Service
User Offline
The function OpenToWrite() doesn't seem work. I can't get it to create a file with it. Tested on Win XP (Tier 1) and Mac OSX Lion(Tier 2 Xcode 3.25), both didn't create the file.

BTW, wasn't there suppose to be a Xcode 4.0 version of the sample code in Mac installation package?
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2011 03:57
Created files (on Windows) are stored in your My Documents folder under AGK/your application's path. Check to see if it was created there.

I'm not sure where they go on Mac.

Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2011 04:08 Edited at: 16th Aug 2011 05:19
Already reported these to Mike, but here are some things to look out for:

Lower() and Upper() are broken. It creates odd characters in the string.

Here is a temporary solution:

Non - Global variables within functions do not reset their values:

If PointerWithin() is called and returns 1 then next time you call it, even if it's false it will return true.
In this code the "inArea" variable doesn't reset to 0 even though it isn't a Global variable. Simple solution for now is to add "inArea = 0" at the start of the function

Forced to "declare" strings before adding them:

This won't work:

But this will:

If you try the example code you'll notice it works, but if you comment out the "newText$ = "" " in the "Bug$()" Function you will notice that the Message() function will display a blank string instead of the word "newBug".

Neuro
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Created files (on Windows) are stored in your My Documents folder under AGK/your application's path. Check to see if it was created there."

Ok i see it there now, but why is it there and what is the purpose of those folders and files created in the My Documents folder?
Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2011 07:35
This is not a bug exactly, but I'm having real trouble downloading the AppGameKit due to my location from the exchange. I only get 55kbs from TGC (maximum is usually 100kbs) and the download is repeatedly interrupted so I am unable to use this product.

Would it be possible to provide an alternative download link? or perhaps split the product into file sizes ~100MB instead of the full 400MB?

Nokiaqd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2011 08:49 Edited at: 16th Aug 2011 08:50
Hello,

in the example "virtual joystick"(move a player around the screen by using a virtual joystick) with a footballer, I created a virtual button and added it to the text but the text of a problem. when the screen moves the text remains in the position where the button used to be.

Is it OK??? thx
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2011 09:52 Edited at: 16th Aug 2011 09:53
When I use the Timer(), nothing seems to happen. I'm using it for timer based movement, and for a 3 second delay in the program, but neither the TBM, nor the delay occur. Is Timer() bugged?

Here's my entire splash screen function. It loads 3 images as sprites, fades them in one at a time, holds them, then fades them out. (Works on DBP as it's an editted cut & paste jobbie!)

My signature is NOT a moderator plaything! Stop changing it!
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2011 12:44 Edited at: 16th Aug 2011 13:04
Another one already reported to Mike:

The application will crash if you give the Val() function a blank string.

For example the following code would crash the application:

Quote: "When I use the Timer(), nothing seems to happen. I'm using it for timer based movement, and for a 3 second delay in the program, but neither the TBM, nor the delay occur. Is Timer() bugged?"

The Timer( ) now counts in seconds rather than milliseconds.

Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2011 13:44 Edited at: 16th Aug 2011 13:46
Quote: "Timer( ) now counts in seconds rather than milliseconds."

Isn't that GetSeconds()

From the help:
Quote: "Timer
Description
Get the number of seconds and fractions of seconds since the app was started. Accurate to milliseconds."

*edit* Yep, deffo milliseconds...

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2011 16:15
"remstart" and "remend" appear not to work, or at least the highlighting doesn't and if (for example) you dim an array using the wrong syntax (IE. round brackets) in a 'commented out' section you get an error on compile.

CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2011 16:19
Any program compiled in AppGameKit crashes upon running under my clean install of Windows 7 64bit with latest video drivers and DirectX. AppGameKit itself works fine, but compiled games don't...

Malevolence: The Sword of Ahkranox
www.msoa-game.com
www.facebook.com/malevolencegame
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2011 16:25 Edited at: 16th Aug 2011 16:27
If you give Val() a non printing character, the program quits with a "This program has quit unexpectedly" error.

I still can't get the timer to work properly either. I know the timer works, but even this code fails to run!

(GetTimer# = Timer() I just set GetTimer# to the Timer() once a loop so I only have to call it once.)

It just skips past it like it wasn't even there. But I know it gets executed as the images which are supposed to fade in and out flash in front of me.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2011 16:32
Mobiius should it be this?

Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2011 16:38 Edited at: 16th Aug 2011 16:43
@Baxslash: GetTimer# = Timer() I just set GetTimer# to the Timer() once a loop so I only have to call it once. (I didn't include the updatescreen function which sets it for me.

And I've figured it out... It appears While Loops, and Repeat loops always evaluate as true, so quit immediately. If I replace them with a Do / Loop with an If X = Y then it quite as expected.

So, Fix the While and Repeat loops please!

*EDIT* Ok, so this loop works...

But this loop doesn't...

???

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2011 16:57
Quote: "GetTimer# = Timer() I just set GetTimer# to the Timer() once a loop so I only have to call it once. (I didn't include the updatescreen function which sets it for me."

Maybe you were setting GetTimer# somewhere else in your loop but you aren't setting it anywhere in the repeat loop you posted... it wasn't being updated so GetTimer# had a constant value. I'm not being dumb.

I'm using while loops that work fine. Try putting this before any of your code it will be run as it should (just tried it):

SFSW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2011 20:05 Edited at: 16th Aug 2011 20:06
When running an app, a bunch of image files are created and placed in the temp folder and are left behind (about 300K worth of files). The same group of files is duplicated with each unique app name/program. Without cleanup, this leaves behind quite a mess after running a lot of different code samples. The files left behind with each execute are:

Arial.png
Avenir.png
Button.png
ButtonDown.png
interpreter-backdrop.png
interpreter-logo.png
interpreter-power.png
interpreter-spinner.png
JoystickInner.png
JoystickOuter.png
Missing.png

Writing to a file appears to have problems. When loading and running the 'WritingToFile' sample app, the myfile.txt is created properly (in the same folder as the image files above), but the string written to the file includes several garbled characters prior to the string and a space character after the string, rather than properly writing just the specified string by itself.

Same issue as Mobiius, timer() doesn't seem to work with certain loop operations:

Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2011 21:51
Quote: "but the string written to the file includes several garbled characters prior to the string and a space character after the string"

WriteString() will do this so that ReadString() can read it back again. You can use WriteLine() instead to write plain text data which will place a newline character on the end. This goes with ReadLine() which reads until a new line character is found.
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2011 22:57
Same issue as Mobiius, timer() doesn't seem to work with certain loop operations:

That snippit will wait 3000 seconds, change it to " + 3 " and it'll work. (Took me a while to figure that out silly me!)

SFSW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2011 02:34 Edited at: 17th Aug 2011 02:38
Quote: "WriteString() will do this so that ReadString() can read it back again. You can use WriteLine() instead to write plain text data which will place a newline character on the end. This goes with ReadLine() which reads until a new line character is found."

Ok, good to know, thanks!

Quote: "That snippit will wait 3000 seconds, change it to " + 3 " and it'll work. (Took me a while to figure that out silly me!)"

Ah yes, I noticed you pointed out that the problem is with the loops, not the timer itself (although a millisecond timer is important, is there one available?).

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2011 04:16
@Mobiius,

The timer is in seconds, and returns a float.

So if timer() - StartTime# = 3.0 that's 3 seconds.

if timer() - StartTime# = 0.5 that's 500 milliseconds.

NOTHING in AppGameKit updates, unless you use the Sync() command. That includes the timer().

So,

Will run forever.

This will exit after 5 seconds.

Everything is relying on sync(). Even keyboard, button, touch, and accelerometer input.

Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2011 10:02
I have a Sync() command in every loop. It's just hidden in the UpdateScreen() function and saved to the GetTimer# global.

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
if you load an image which is a 100% transparent png, it shows as a white block!

you have to at least put in 1 coloured pixel.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
I think they should scrap the idea of saving temporary files in My Documents or wherever (depending on the device), and we just put a set of these files ourselves in the app folder together with our exe.

Also if we are not going to use the virtual joystick, we won't need the joystick media files, etc...

Quote: "When running an app, a bunch of image files are created and placed in the temp folder and are left behind (about 300K worth of files). The same group of files is duplicated with each unique app name/program. Without cleanup, this leaves behind quite a mess after running a lot of different code samples. The files left behind with each execute are:

Arial.png
Avenir.png
Button.png
ButtonDown.png
interpreter-backdrop.png
interpreter-logo.png
interpreter-power.png
interpreter-spinner.png
JoystickInner.png
JoystickOuter.png
Missing.png"
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
One small thing, I have noticed the playsprite command doesn't seem to work by just using playsprite(tank), as an example. However it works ok when you specify speed and frame range aka PlaySprite(tank,10,0,1,4).

http://s6.bitefight.org/c.php?uid=103081
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2011 17:12
Quote: "I have noticed the playsprite command doesn't seem to work by just using playsprite(tank)"

Thanks, I've added a fix that should be in the next version.

Quote: "I think they should scrap the idea of saving temporary files in My Documents"

The location of the files is necessary due to restrictions on where applications are allowed to write files. Also since your app may produce output files with OpenToWrite that you want to keep, we can't clear out everything in the folder on closing.

To prevent the default images being written there you can include files that match those names in your resources folder and the AppGameKit will use those instead, and not write any to the write folder. (If you don't need to use them you can make them single pixel images to save space)
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
This would be an absolute perfect option!

So if my game does not save out any files, nothing is saved to My Documents on Windows.

Quote: "To prevent the default images being written there you can include files that match those names in your resources folder and the AppGameKit will use those instead, and not write any to the write folder. (If you don't need to use them you can make them single pixel images to save space)"
Doz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2011 19:40 Edited at: 18th Aug 2011 02:01
Edit - I'm not sure what I did extra, my gfx card did die on me so I had to reboot, but now the compiler works fine, no complaining about needing admin rights.

SageTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2011 18:56
While trying to run app on Windows Server 2003 Standard, i get these error messages:
Quote: "Failed to get bitmap bits for image: Avenir.ping at line 6"

Quote: "Failed to get bitmap bits for image: Ariel.png at line 6"

Works fine on my windows 7 machine.
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2011 19:21
Have you tried installing the Visual Studio redistributable from http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=29
SageTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2011 21:34
I just tried on a Server 2008 and received the same errors. VS 2008 C++ Redistibutable is already installed on the server 2008 box.
Uechi
Years of Service
User Offline
I set up 2 arrays with a dim of 50. I load data into the first array and then load data into the second array. My program crashes. I have determined that I can load the first array and the first entry of the second array without the crash. As soon as I try to load a second entry in the second array, the program crashes with no explanation. Any suggestions?
Uechi
Years of Service
User Offline
Getting text input seems to stop after about 25 characters -can't input more than that on windows - will the real devices allow more than that - scrolling input area, etc?
2Beastmode4u
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2011 21:03 Edited at: 19th Aug 2011 21:06
Here is one bug.

All functions have to be on the same page. I have 3 pages. 1 is the main, another is the functions, and another is the setup.

I had a command to use a function but it didn't work until I moved it to the same page.

Cheers.
EDIT:
I found out that you have to use the "#include" command to get it to work with multiple pages.

God help me, Please.
MobileCreator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2011 22:55 Edited at: 19th Aug 2011 22:56
Installer on Mac sets the "App Game Kit" access rights only for one user, other than the one you're logged in.

My Mac has two users (let's say UserA and UserB) , and both part of the Admin group.

When I did the installation I was logged as UserA. I had no problems during the installation itself, but when I tried to open the "App Game Kit" directory under /Applications I couldn't.

Checking the folder access rights, I saw that only UserB had full access to it, but userA hasn't none. The only way was to manually chance the access rights on that directory.

I hope it helps.

Paulo

Hehe, this is my first post without having to wait for moderator approval

Paulo
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2011 00:04 Edited at: 20th Aug 2011 18:43
Quote: "While trying to run app on Windows Server 2003 Standard, i get these error messages"

Are the servers using a 32bit color desktop?
SageTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2011 05:16
I believe so. I forgot to mention though, I'm using RDP and I'm in a remote desktop session, that might cause odd behaviors...
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2011 05:29
Yes. Yes it would.

SageTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2011 07:10
Still it would kind of suck if there is no way to make it work. I have a whole rented out rack at a datacenter with a pretty beefy server cluster to run server apps for my games...needless to say its all headless, so there is no other to way to run anything.
Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2011 15:53 Edited at: 20th Aug 2011 17:22
I'm reading in data into an array. AppGameKit is quicker than DBPro, but not as quick as load array. Anyway, here's the bug...

DBPro code

and AppGameKit code, exact same data file.

and here's the output...

What happened at line 4? Seems to have picked up an empty line and bumped the rest down one.

EDIT: Oh, and if I use ReadString instead of ReadLine in AppGameKit, I get the whole file in the first array element, and nothing in the rest, but no EOF error at all.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2011 18:42
Quote: "I'm using RDP and I'm in a remote desktop session"

I would say that is probably the cause. I once tried running a DirectX app through a remote desktop connection and it claimed the GPU was not DirectX compatible, even though the server had a very modern card.

In the end I had to use RealVNC and manage the server that way. You will need something that logs into a real account rather than a remote desktop connection account.

Quote: "What happened at line 4? Seems to have picked up an empty line and bumped the rest down one."

Without seeing the file it is loading I can only guess that there is a double new line character where there is only meant to be one, thereby creating an empty line.
Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2011 19:33 Edited at: 21st Aug 2011 04:56
Quote: "Without seeing the file it is loading I can only guess that there is a double new line character where there is only meant to be one, thereby creating an empty line. "

I will examine the file closely. The problem doesn't show up in DBPro, reading the same data file, but I guess if it was a bug, it would show up on every line, just not between 3 and 4.

Thanks.

EDIT: I didn't find any extra CR/LF on the line in question, my workaround is to not add the string to the array if it has no characters.

XanthorXIII
AGK Gold Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2011 00:11 Edited at: 21st Aug 2011 00:18
Playing around with the AppGameKit today, I found that the Percentage Display will leave a Black border around the right and bottom where as the the virtual one will not.
Here is the example with the border. This used Percentage. To get 16 blocks I took 100/16 to get 6.25 for the width and -1 for the height

Here is the one without the border. The size of the blocks are 20x20 to get 320/16 and 480/24

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-16 11:15:37
Your offset time is: 2024-04-16 11:15:37