Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Non-WiFi broadcasting

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2011 17:47
I have a wired setup, not a WiFi one. Is it still possible to move apps onto other devices?

I reject your reality and substitute my own...
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2011 17:53
The devices merely need to be on the local area network, but things like iPhones can only join a network through WiFi.
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2011 17:57 Edited at: 15th Aug 2011 17:57
So it can't be broadcast over a USB-to-device lead? How about Android?

Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2011 18:05
If you are using tier 2 you can send over the device cable. Tier 1 requires a network connection. This will be the same for Android when we support it.
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2011 18:10
So if I create something in tier 1 (basic, as I don't know C) I'll need a dedicated network connection? I've no idea how to do that as I've always used a usb cable to port stuff to my android.

Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2011 18:14
You would need some way to get both devices on the same local area network (usually wifi for devices) although I don't know if android supports a wired method.

You could get a cheap USB wireless adapter for your PC and setup an adhoc wireless network? Although I haven't tested this with the AppGameKit broadcast setup.
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2011 18:45
You can get simple 802.11b/g Wireless Access Points for very little money these days. Get one of those and set it up on your network.

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2011 23:42
Ok KISTech, I've taken you advice and bought a USB wireless adaptor, just waiting for it to arrive so don't be going anywhere...

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2011 01:16
A wireless adapter is likely not going to help. You need to put a wireless access point on your network so your device can connect to that and be a part of the same network as your computer.

DMXtra
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2011 02:06
You can get a wireless router for cheap, hook up your Internet Modem into the back of the wireless router (so you can use it with Internet as well as your own local network). You can just hook your computer up to the router using an Ethernet cable and then connect your phone up to the wireless router.

X = modem from your Internet company
O = router
- = Ethernet wire
C = computer
P = Your phone

X-------O------C

P (no wires)

Your router has it's own name (this name is known as an SSID)
Your phone then should connect to a wireless network by selecting the name of your router (SSID).

App Game Kit (A.G.K.) - Want to be creative on many platforms at once? This is the tool you need.
chunks chunks
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2011 03:32 Edited at: 16th Aug 2011 03:36
you dont need a router , you can set up an ad-hoc network with your wireless usb adapter it acts like a access point .

in windows 7 goto ->

Control Panel\Network and Internet\Manage Wireless Networks.
Then click add there is two options pick create adhoc , then connect your device(phone etc) to the adhoc network .

chunks

nvidia geforce 9500gt + amd athlon 64
windows vista ultimate.
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2011 04:10
I'm not sure phones are going to support adhoc networks. Most small devices require infrastructure mode wireless. It's worth a shot if you've already ordered the USB adapter though.

I tried connecting my Amazon Kindle to an adhoc network (my Android phone using tethering) and it wouldn't do it.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 18:59:28
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 18:59:28