Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPS Creator X10 / How do I make a crate that doesn't fly into the sky?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2011 21:00
It's kinda quiet today on the x10 forum so I wanted to release a small model pack but I'm not comfortable releasing it as is.

No matter how I try, I can not seem to make a dynamic, mobile crate that doesn't immediately go flying through the air when you load the game. I went back and edited the mesh and made sure it was not going through the floor. I also tried raising it up a couple centimeters. I also tried messing with the "offy=" values to see if that would help.

But here is something else...if I press enter while placing the crate it puts it halfway into the ground, assuming its center of mass is its bottom or something.

Anyone dealt with this before? As soon as I have this resolved I'll give you guys a nice collection of grunge crates with specularity and bumpiness and all that goodness.
ThoughtWire Software
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2011 23:23
Yes, this happens to me when I place certain stock crates dynamic, so I doubt this is specific to your issue. Maybe try messing with the friction and weight.

I'm unsure what else to suggest.

Hope this helps.

[center]

Le Shorte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2011 19:09
Hm... that's odd. Never had that problem before. Not sure what's wrong!

Cheesehead for life.
srealist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2011 23:43
Thanks guys. I think it has to do with the use of scale in the fpe. I wanted to only have one mesh and used scale to get different sizes. The crates that use scale=100 do not have this problem. It's pretty wacky tho.
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 18th Aug 2011 01:51
Other than the scale, I thought making the crate "IsImmobile=1" would stop it from "flying into the sky".

Brian.

srealist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2011 07:22
LOL...yeah but these are meant to be crates that can be picked up, destroyed, etc.
The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2011 12:16
Set the physics weight heigher but not high enough that the player can't pick them up.

Mystic Mod - Putting the fear back into sliced bread since 4th May 2010
Windows 7 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 3.4Ghz, 8GB DDR3, ATI Radeon HD 4770 1GB, 2TB RAID-0 Hard disk
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2011 21:14
Quote: "these are meant to be crates that can be picked up"

Soooo... you're saying IsImmobile won't work then?

Try playing around with the friction too. Sometimes it's more the friction than it is the weight.

Brian.

srealist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2011 22:45
Ya, I feel like making it immobile is a cop-out on my part.

I stopped being a lazy b@stard and just scaled the meshes properly in FragMotion and now everything works.

Something else I noticed...the crates in the SciFi pack have a bone at the bottom of their mesh. I tried this and it fixed the problem of pressing "enter" and having the crate go halfway into the ground. I guess the bone tells FPSC where the bottom of the mesh is supposed to be. Possibly, perhaps...or so it seems.

But hey, it works and that's good enough for me. I'll post them later today.

Something else kinda cool in x10 (maybe this is also true in x9) but if you name your textures with the ending tag _1_D, _1_S, _1_N, _2_D, _2_S, _2_N, etc... FPSC will randomly select from these textures when you load the level. I noticed this feature from the barrels in the SCI FI pack. Maybe everyone already knows this, but anyway, that is how the crates I am making will work. I have 6 sets of textures that a single FPE file randomly selects from. No scripting is required. Just naming.
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2011 02:52
Cool! I knew about that with segments but I didn't know you could do it with entities. Good info.

Brian.

science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
top info on the texture random choices, never knew that one but that saves on memory and having heaps of characters when one randomized will do the job,

top work thanks

should put that in the x10 manual

an unquenchable thirst for knowledge of game creation!!!
srealist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2011 07:14 Edited at: 19th Aug 2011 07:16
I wonder how many other things are out there that no one but Lee knows about... I'm still recovering from having my mind blown by "camera fly mode" and the fact that I had no clue of its existence.

x10's documentation (by that I mean lack thereof) is one of more unfortunate things about it.

But then again, it does keep it interesting to happen upon new things.

One day I'd really like to know if _R.dds is truly supported in x10 or just ignored. My own tests didn't yield anything that I could consider definitive. I'm wondering if there are more built in shaders than we know of. Also, I wonder if there are more ways than we know of to exploit the soft decals. I looked briefly at the source code and from what I could tell, it was just hard coded for the smoke example but I'm by no means a proper coder.
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
interesting, can you copy that hard code at all? and rehash it up just some water and fog would do us wonders? a particle waterfall would be fantastic, i have a typical basic waterfall at the moment, anyway tinkering on here lately has inspired me.

an unquenchable thirst for knowledge of game creation!!!
srealist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2011 17:30
I think doing a fog effect would be possible by mirroring the soft decal system. I'm going to take a closer look at how water is handled in x10. We are really only getting a tease of water effects in directx10, since we don't really have dynamic water (fountains, waterfalls, etc.) but not only is this possible, I've seen some examples in directx10 that are downright awesome.

In the meantime, here is another waterfall decal to try out. Made this in Illusions (attached).

Attachments

Login to view attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 21:25:26
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 21:25:26