Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Standard Controls

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I am new to this forum and we are trying to find a kit where we can create same app for all the mobile platforms. Looks like this is promising one. But we are not developing games, we develop engineering applications. So we need the set of controls like scroll view(as in iphone app), list view(as in iphone app), split view(as in ipad)..etc.(basically the controls same as in XCode) i can not find these in Basic version of your samples. Could you please guide us, what should be the best way?.

Thanks
Sandeep
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2011 00:06
AGK does not support user interface items from any of the platforms. It is more aimed at making games instead of applications that rely on the in-built UI elements. I'm not aware of any alternatives that might be suitable.
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2011 06:22
The problem with using the proprietary gadgets of a particular device is that as you move your application to another platform or device, those gadgets would look out of place. Similarly, if we provided a lot of high level gadgets, everyone's apps would look like AppGameKit apps (anyone remember SEUCK)

Fortunately AppGameKit is equipped with some of the smartest sprites around, capable of detecting when they are pressed and responding with a wide range of visual toys. You can imagine the AppGameKit sprite as a simple button gadget, which can be positioned, sized, transformed when selected and hidden at will. Almost every gadget you can think of can be whipped up in a few minutes using sprites alone. The ability to overlay text makes them even more useful.

I am sure it won't be too long before an AppGameKit user writes an #include file which creates all the gadgets you need, entirely made from sprites!

The great thing about doing it this way is that your engineering application looks consistent across all the devices you deploy it to, meaning your end users only have to learn it once and instantly recognise it, no matter what device it is running on. It also benefits from looking unique to you, allowing your own design ideas and styles to come through.

I remember creating a small prototype of a business app on the iPhone using their gadgets. When I had finished, it looked like every other business app I had ever seen on the iPhone. It did the job, but it wasn't that inspiring

I drink tea, and in my spare time I write software.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 07:42:25
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 07:42:25