Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I've been looking into this engine and i was wondering would this engine (DB PRO) support a MMORPG?
Ratty Rat
Years of Service
User Offline
In theory yes, but MMORPG`s generally have large databases behind them and DBPro has no native DB support.
However you could write your own DB functions in a plug in DLL, in fact you could write allot of you code externally and use DBPro as the graphics engine.
The Graphical parts would then reside on the players online PC`s, and could be written mostly in DB, the server side code (which needs to be fast, efficient and needs to talk to your DB) needs no graphical element (IE textual displays for monitoring, setting up etc) and would probably be best written in C++/Delphi or whatever.
rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2002 14:54
What ratty-rat said.

MMORPGs are VERY hard to make. In fact, only a couple of them have been made in DB, and they were more like MORPGs, but they worked. So it is very possible, but as ratty rat said, you'd have to write the network code in a different language, once that's done, DB will be perfect for a graphics engine.

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Kousen Dev Progress >> Currently Working On Editors
TriTek
Years of Service
User Offline
Is there any limitations to db pro?

rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2002 06:01
ROFL

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2002 06:01
There are limitations to any and every programming language. Your gonna have to be WAY more specific than that, sorry

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
TriTek
Years of Service
User Offline
:-P im saying like in drad theres a 256 limit...

Nikkoz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2002 10:04
You shouldnt use more than 256 players on a DB server anyway. When you have that amount of players, you should have a cluster of servers. Wich communicates with eachother and the same DB.
And making a MMORPG is hard, but it's even more hard to make a >good< game at all.
Fireburst
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2002 11:16
There is no 256 restriction (it boils down to how many you want to display vs what is possible without losing too many fps).

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice, there is.
Mirthin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2002 17:59
Is that true? I heard otherwise.

This has "Fiasco" written all over it.
rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2002 23:25
drad?

anyway, Multi-player wise, I wouldn't use Directplay anyway, for an MMORPG, you'd probably have to write your own client and server programs in something like C++... or else it would run too slow, and you wouldn't be able to have more than a few hundred players.

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Mirthin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2002 02:20
Not necessarily. I know I sound like this is for the sake of argument, but it could work given that you really limit your data transfer.

This has "Fiasco" written all over it.
rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2002 02:41
I won't argue because I haven't messed with DP yet... I guess I should try at some point.

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
crawlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2002 14:52
i would definently use a server programmed in C++ for anything even looking like a MMORPG. The amount of processing that has to be done is rediculos and i doubt DBPro could handle it. Of couse I would use compiled scripts in the server program because this stops you having to recompile it everytime you make a change. Just some thoughts. Plus your network code has to be extreamly tight and optimized, a hard task in itself.

Please Visit [Dark-BASIC UK] :: 100% Unofficial Home Of The DarkBASIC Professional Programming
Language - db-pro.co.uk
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2002 15:25
Client side DBP should be all you need, you can use the network dll that Ariel made for UDB (think that's what it's called) to get faster connections. Serverside you need a homemade server program written in for example C++ that talks with an MySQL database. For a MMORPG you need many servers and a fast connection and lots of ppl updating the world.

Chroma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2002 01:34
The 2 that were made were done using swap files and not the DB multiplayer. But for this language I would definitely use a non-DBP server...like C++ or VB.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 12:08:25
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 12:08:25