Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Pointers & memory allocations

Author
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2011 12:47 Edited at: 17th Aug 2011 12:51
1. Are the C, C++ pointers supported in any way?
2. What is the support for memory handling
3. Is possible to develop libraries for the App Game Kit? If yes, how can they distributed commercially to programmers?
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2011 13:55
1. In Tier 2 C++ yes
2. Same as in C++ I'd guess
3. If it runs in Tier 2 C++ then I'd guess yes.

My signature is NOT a moderator plaything! Stop changing it!
george++
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2011 22:42
Thanks for the response, but due to missing of a demo an 'official' response would be preferable
MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorry, but if you need an 'Official' response from TGC that C++ supports pointers and that you can allocate and release memory in C++, then do yourself a favor and stick with Tier 1! Or go back and learn C/C++ properly. You definately have not learned the very basics of C/C++.
george++
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2011 02:42
Quote: "You definately have not learned the very basics of C/C++. "

Perhaps...

I am not experienced about the targeted devices and probably such a request (memory allocation) could be sound silly here...

But in the documentation of the 'App Game Kit' there is no word about dynamic memory allocation. Do you believe that you can implement some serious algorithms without pointer support.
I am wondering here because it is not mentioned anything about pointers in the documentation

@MikeHart: Please post here only if you can write something really helpful about my question. You don't know me at all and I don't need your advices
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2011 10:11
Quote: "But in the documentation of the 'App Game Kit' there is no word about dynamic memory allocation."

The documentation focuses on the AppGameKit commands, not the core C++ commands..

My answer is correct. move on. lol

My signature is NOT a moderator plaything! Stop changing it!
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2011 10:53
Tier 2 is the way to go if you need this kind of thing.
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2011 03:13
Tier 1 (BASIC) supports dynamic memory allocation through the DIM command, i.e. DIM memoryblock[100] AS INTEGER would create 101 unsigned integers referenced by subscript. There are no reference or pointer constructs in Tier 1 so all memory allocation is through the above mechanism. The BASIC is a self-contained byte code interpreter with no capability to extend itself by modules at this stage, though we are planning this for the future. Just like DBP we would create a document will illustrates how to develop and integrate these additional modules. As Mike suggests, for traditional memory allocation and pointer handling, the Tier 2 (C++) is the better solution and we have extensive guides and examples on how to get started with Tier 2.

I drink tea, and in my spare time I write software.
george++
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2011 10:52
@LeeBamber: Thank you, this is what I was looking to know

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-16 19:36:01
Your offset time is: 2024-04-16 19:36:01