Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / iOS without a Developers License?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2011 19:03
Hi, I want to get AppGameKit so I can start developing for iOS (iphones, ipads, etc.), but I don’t really want to sign up to become an Apple developer just yet – I’d like to start easy and create a few apps for me and my friends rather than letting them loose on the entire world.

Is there any way I could restrict iOS apps to my friends, or is iOS development simply an “all or nothing” approach?

We spend our lives chasing dreams. Dark Basic lets us catch some of them.
Hubdule
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2011 19:13
No it can't be restricted. You can use the AppGameKit player to test your app but you can not distribute it that way. Either TGC publishes your game (if its good) or you'll need a Mac + App developer account.

Life is good!
Robert The Robot
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2011 19:19
So I couldn't just have my friends download the AppGameKit player app, give them the bytecode files, and let them run it through that?

Would the AppGameKit player app remember the last set of bytecode data it was sent, and be able to run it even if it was outside the wifi range of the original computer?

Hubdule
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2011 19:22
The player is some sort of receiver app. The AppGameKit IDE sends the bytecode + all media files to the player over wifi. As soon as the player on your frieds iOS device closes or you press 5 seconds on the top of the player, then the transmitted game/app ends and cannot be reloaded until the AppGameKit IDE sends it again.

Life is good!
Robert The Robot
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2011 19:34
Ah, I see. In that case I have some serious thinking to do. I don't own a mac but I may well have to get one, and I'm not sure if any games I created would be good enough for TGC to even consider!

Getting AppGameKit will definitely involve moving up a league - up till now I've been content with crafting something simple (not even games, usually), but now I think I'd be aiming for the quality of Evochron Mercenary. That's quite a jump for me...

Hubdule
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2011 19:48
Why not simply use AppGameKit to create something, then use the free player to test. If it's worth it then you can consider buying a Mac (mini would do). I think that's the "cheapest" way to start.

Life is good!
CIII_P_OH
Years of Service
User Offline
The AppGameKit player only deletes the bytecode after pressing the top of the screen for 5 seconds, so your friends should be able to exit agk player on the iphone and still have the game available to play when it's restarted. That's how it's working for me.
Dream Scape
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "That's how it's working for me."

How have you got this working? I thought the AppGameKit player isn't availabel for the iPod / iPhone yet.
CIII_P_OH
Years of Service
User Offline
TheGameCreators supply the source code, simply compile it in xcode, deploy and run. Then broadcast the game
MobileCreator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2011 18:43
You mean the iOS player is available as source code? Is this already in my Mac installation?

Thanks

Paulo
CIII_P_OH
Years of Service
User Offline
@MC

That's correct x2
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2011 03:18
Quote: "You mean the iOS player is available as source code? Is this already in my Mac installation?"

Yes. Under IDE\Apps\interpreter_ios.

In the documentation under Guides there are sections for Tier 1 and Tier 2 that describe everything you need to do to prepare your apps for distribution to the various platforms.

DMXtra
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2011 04:53
This is one big reason I like some web formats to export your games to, this way you could have your game on the web and have it playable on any platform.

This makes more sense than just one format or another.

App Game Kit (A.G.K.) - Want to be creative on many platforms at once? This is the tool you need.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 20:58:31
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 20:58:31