Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / where to find an experienced 3d maker

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
hi there. i'm a creative game writer with no 3d experience.
i submitted a manuscript detailing a proposed game to Ubisoft and Square Enix, both of which offered to meet with me, and Ubistoft actually offered me a job. however, they want a demo of my game before they let me make any pitch meetings.
could you please give me some advice as to where i could find experienced 3d makers? i hope to begin making this demo before 2012.

)l(
PirateJohn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2011 20:20
First off, congrats!

Depending on how much you want to spend, I'm a member of a website called the3dstudio.com where people buy and sell stock 3d models, so if you want to make a demo with fairly generic models, you can buy some from there. Detailed models can go for a few hundred bucks, but there are often much simpler, somewhat blocky models available for as low as about fifteen or twenty.

You can also get some inexpensive 3d software (I use AC3D) and make very simple models on your own. Even without 3d experience, you can make a demo using stand-in models. I'm sure Ubisoft will be very understanding of the fact that you're a programmer and not an artist.
Travis Gatlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2011 20:22
Nice! I can do a good bit of 3D art but not much animation. Could you tell me about the kinds of things you want to be created? I'll help you as best as i can, if within my ability. If not, good luck!

My Mind is very odd, it can memorize hundreds of commands, memorize 2 dictionary's worth of words, and make detailed 3D models. Yet my mind has trouble with the most simple calculations.
lazerus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2011 20:46 Edited at: 21st Aug 2011 20:51
Can you do anything other than the manuscript?
Since you wont get a job as a writer in any games company's. You need experience in programming, 3d media or animation to be a considered applicant. That's pretty much the short of it. Even heads and lead designers, the people who organise the team work as much as they can.

Basically they want to see what you can do. Anyone can reel off a thousand ideas, only a few can bring it to life. If you have the determination to build a entire demo of the game then you will have a large chance of being 'endorsed' by Ubisoft. Whether they give you a team or resources is entirely up to them.

Good luck at anyrate.

Also i can point you to polycount which is a forum focused on game art and alike. Many people on there work for companies around the globe, including Ubisoft. 6 actually from there main three studios. Im sure they'll enlighten you to what there looking for and would be impressed by.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2011 20:50
I might, just might be able to throw in a helping hand. If i can find the time i could do a simple object or such.

Congrats too, and I wish you further luck

and for the record, I am a man.

Aaragax
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks so much for your help!
i am visiting said websites and figuring out how to put the models together.
to Quik and Travis Gatlin, thank you for volunteering your time and effort. i actually do need a simple model of a roman-age human. if you could do anything for that it would be much appreciated.
thanks again!

)l(
Travis Gatlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2011 05:36
Well, I could maybe do the body, my specialty is really building and complex structures. Humans aren't really my bag too much, but i will do what i can with the buildings.

My Mind is very odd, it can memorize hundreds of commands, memorize 2 dictionary's worth of words, and make detailed 3D models. Yet my mind has trouble with the most simple calculations.
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2011 19:02
I might add that a human, is rather complex, and i doubt i could make a human character for you with the spare time i have

and for the record, I am a man.

Aaragax
Years of Service
User Offline
that's fine. thank you anyways.

)l(
Daniel wright 2311
User Banned
Posted: 24th Aug 2011 01:00
I can do any human needed but with pay, you will find people dont like to take time out of there lives for something always promissed here.This is not the first post aboout a promised game from a hugh game developer.And one that never promissed any payment as hugh game designers usally give an advance for such things as models or programers if needed.Unless you write your own game and use all your own models then you will have to prove every single texture and model also.My advice,be carfull on who you let model for you as textures have copywrites on them and so do the models.

my signature keeps being erased by a mod So this is my new signature.
Travis Gatlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2011 01:39
My work is free! but organic things like humans or anything organic really (besides plants) I'm not that good at making. I'm good at doing buildings, many structures like that. I can rig if needed. My texture artistry skills are quite bad so i wouldn't count on me for texturing, other than that, i can do whatever you need really.

Oolite
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2011 03:33
Forgive me for being a bit sceptical but why do Ubisoft need to see a demo of your game to hire you? If they liked you as a writer they'd hire you on the basis of that document and not a demo that you're going to get someone else to make.
If you approached them to be a publisher of your game then you'd need a hell of a lot more than a design document to enter any agreement with them. You'd also need a good team of people behind you that are ready to commit to a long and lengthy development process.

Lads, don't waste your time with dishing out free models just yet, I have a feeling things aren't what they seem.

Also, why didn't you just take the job with Ubisoft, instead of backing out of what is clearly a well paid position to work on a little game that you created in your bedroom?

I'm done...
lazerus
Years of Service
User Offline
Aye Oolite, i guess i was too subtle in my approach in saying there's no such place as a writer.

So here. Watch this.

Daniel wright 2311
User Banned
Posted: 24th Aug 2011 22:05 Edited at: 24th Aug 2011 22:08
This was the very reason I ousted him in the first place,I tryed to do it in a nice way but in all truth,this guy would not have any job with any game gesingers unless he already had a huge team of people already with a demo,not alone a already made demo.Most all big game desingers Will not even talk to you unless you have a already made demo.

This rite here proves everything I just said

Quote: "i'm a creative game writer with no 3d experience."

Guess what, If you was any creative game writer you would already have a team of people with money to pay them.

my signature keeps being erased by a mod So this is my new signature.
Aaragax
Years of Service
User Offline
while i understand your skepticism, i am telling the truth.
i didn't take the job at ubisoft because i was 13 at the time. it has been extremely difficult to do any of this when i was so young.
i understand if you can't help me, and will post a craigslist ad in the near future.
sorry if there was a misunderstanding.

)l(

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-28 09:04:51
Your offset time is: 2024-04-28 09:04:51