Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Programming with AGK on the Mac

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2011 11:27
Hi

Sorry if this has been asked several times, I have looked at most of the forum posts.

I've purchased AppGameKit to tinker with on the Mac and it seems that for me to program in Basic I would need to get myself a PC or a virtual box and purchase a copy of Windows. I've looked through the online guides/documentation and videos on YouTube and they all show how you publish a game for the Mac or iPhone store using XCode after writing it in Windows but neither of them show whether or not people use XCode to program their AppGameKit games in Basic.

I've opened a few of the templates and examples in XCode from the install folders and they compile and run ok but it looks like I'd have to partly learn 2 languages to get started: AppGameKit and the Mac/iPhone language used in the templates.

The other thing that I'm missing when running programs in XCode is the ability to send to the player. I have downloaded and installed the player from the Mac store.

Am I right in thinking that the Mac version is really for when you've written your program in
Windows and want to pack it up ready to publish for the Mac and iOS stores?

Unfortunately I'm in the process of moving so I'm finding it hard to sit down properly and understand this.

Thanks in advance.

the12thplaya
Eltari
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2011 11:33
You do not need to buy Windows. You can try using Wine or Crossover to run windows version of AppGameKit in Mac Os X.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
the iphone/xcode language you refer to is C. its a universal language not something you have to specifically learn for agk.

you can't program in basic in xcode.

so either you spend some time to learn the basics of c on mac, or set up a windows vm
MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
To develop in Tier 1 you have to use the Windows version atm. But if you want to develop for the IOS or OSX platform, you have to know your ways in XCODE too. At least how to build the application because you will need to do it there anyway, once you want to publish your game.
Btw. I am waiting for the OSX Tier 1 version too.
Kevin Cross
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2011 15:45
Thanks for your replies. I will try the Wine approach on the weekend if I can get access to the internet as I really don't fancy purchasing a copy of Windows.

the12thplaya
Kevin Cross
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2011 12:31 Edited at: 27th Aug 2011 12:32
Hi

Has anyone got this working with Wine? After a couple of Google searches it looks like I need to install Visual Express C++ with the error I get but that won't install either and it doesn't look like a supported program.

Just wondering if anyone else has managed to get AppGameKit working with Wine?

Thanks

the12thplaya
Kevin Cross
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2011 14:17 Edited at: 27th Aug 2011 14:17
I've sorted it

I found that the userdetails.ini file in the IDE/Editor folder needed to be filled in with my serial number. I didn't need to install Visual Express C++.

If you're new to Wine I found this guide really simple to work through

http://davidbaumgold.com/tutorials/wine-mac/

I also found a Beta program called Wine Bottler which allow you to run apps through Wine without typing terminal commands

http://winebottler.kronenberg.org/

the12thplaya
MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
I tried WineBottler too. Got FlStudio working on my MAc with it. But AppGameKit refuses to work atm. I filled my serial number in the file you mentioned but it always tells me "Authentication file not found" when I try to start AGK.exe.
MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok, got it working. This prefix thingy is killing me. You need to change the serial number at the correct place.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 11:35:52
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 11:35:52