Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / (X9) Wild West Gold Hunter 2/ 1-redeaux

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2011 12:04 Edited at: 11th Sep 2011 07:09
Wild West Gold Hunter 2

Developed by- Disturbing13
Developed in- FPSC(X9) vanilla

Description- Hunt and dig for bars of gold while trying to stop a gang of outlaws from stopping you.

History- Ages ago when I first started developing FPS games I used a different engine that will go unnamed. It was good for its time but as they say 'The world moves on'. In this engine was made a game that wasn't the standard shooter but involved puzzle/treasure hunting elements and was set in the western 1800's. This game was called Wild West Gold Hunter developed by a good friend of mine Larry Gladd. You played a marshal looking for 200 bars of stolen gold using clues and the environment to find there whereabouts.

Sequel Story-Through a calamitous mishap in the transporting of this gold to the federal reserve you must find the gold again by revisiting the original sites as well as lots of brand new ones.In the process of making the sequel we will also be remaking the original in the FPSC engine as well as adding a few things not capable with the previous version. This will also help alleviate any problems with parts of the level not being cannon to the previous game.This game will be created in chapters in order to release them quickly. More to come.

EDIT: Here is a demo of the first portion of the remake.
http://www.mediafire.com/?5avriijqq917wvv

Things to fix
*Character Pistol Animation- Working on
*Player Pistol Animation-Fixed:weapon fires, and walks single handed and loads with two
*Weapon Damage-Fixed:Enemies health now 400, pistol takes 4 shots, rifle takes 3 shots, However they do spawn with headshot
*Weapon Pickup Sound-Not be able to be changed since FPSC uses the reload sound for pickup from an enemy
*Character AI-Would appreciate help
*Map Details-Working on

Disturbing13
Dev Forum Store

Attachments

Login to view attachments
The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2011 13:36 Edited at: 24th Aug 2011 13:37
An entertaining short demo with some cool ideas.

I can write a review with or without spoilers or send you a mail with the dry facts instead (or in addition to the review) - whichever you prefer.

In case you find my grammar and spelling weird ---> native German speaker ^^
Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2011 14:17
Any constructive criticisim will be welcome.

http://disturbing13projects.proboards.com/
Making Monsters do Horrible things!
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 24th Aug 2011 16:51
Pretty cool. It must have been tough for you. I know how much you dislike the "Western" genre.

Love the concept and the game so far.

Brian.

DarkJames
Years of Service
User Offline
I see what you did there

Nice, Disturbing

Lets get into serious stuf
--------------------------------------
What about the blue text?.
BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2011 20:32
This demo reminds me of the game Outlaws by Lucas Arts. I enjoyed that game tremendously, and enjoyed your demo just as much. We are big fans of "western-themed" games, and will be following this WIP with great anticipation.

Great job on it.

Twitter: @NFoxMedia
Braden 713
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2011 21:10
Hey Disturbing,

I really enjoyed the demo, first of all it seemed almost completely free of the FPSC 'blocky' style which is often times difficult to hide or get around; this was very refreshing.

Overall it was fun, the demo was short but the gameplay seemed paced well.

The only problem I ran into was it crashing, twice, in the same spot.

***Spoiler Alert***

Other than that, keep up the great work! I hope to see more soon. As for some constructive criticism, the only thing I could say would be perhaps add some rocks and tools in the quarry. Make it look used.

Cheers, Braden

Life would be much easier if I had the source code.
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Awesome work D13 played perfect for me no crashes at all.

The only thing was the levels where a bit empty and the chars where very easy to kill but I enjoyed it a lot.

I'll keep an eye on this one.

best s4real

Pack ya games with vishnu packer its free. Vishnu game launcher is now released.
Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2011 00:40 Edited at: 25th Aug 2011 00:41
@xplosys- LOL! Thanks , glad you like it.

@DarkJames- Glad you enjoyed, I hope the next levels will get better.

@BlackFox - AH great game Outlaws!In the sequel you will see where I took a few pages from it when I hope to simulate a moving train. I definitely hope not to disappoint.

@Braden 713- Glad you enjoyed it, but just curious what your system stats are. I ask because my pc is on the higher end side and didn't have any problems, in fact it loaded stages so fast I had to do cut scenes instead of putting story within the loading pages. Oh and definitely noted about the quarry, it did seem a bit empty.

@s4real- Thanks! After playing it a few times I definitely see where the enemies were a bit easy to take down. I'll up their toughness in the future.

maxiqueen123
Years of Service
User Offline
Very nice looks good and i see you youse my terrain kit I think xP

Your signature has been erased by a mod - Please reduce it to 600x120 maximum size.
Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2011 00:56
@maxiqueen123- Indeed I did, and boy did it come in handy.Now looking back on the credit screen I see I forgot to credit you as well as Kravenwolf. I really need to keep a list of people who have helped me in my project folder.

Please keep in mind this isn't the final version of this demo.This is just to show some of the work we've done on it. I'l probably need to have a cut scene for credits by the time it's done.

The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2011 22:01 Edited at: 26th Aug 2011 23:44
I've played WWGH 4 times now and here is my review:

Note: I had planned, to ditch my tGtBatU format, but starting with this game? Not really

The Good:
- Style
It's a Western game and I am greeted by a cool country tune, a custom menu with a Western-style font and a costum hud. Could I ask for more? Apparently yes, because the voiceovers come with an accent as thick as baked beans coocked on a campfire and offer sentences like "Well...I guess it's easier takin' than makin'…"
- Media
For once it's not CP's Landscape Kit. Nothing against it, but it's not the ideal choice for every kind of level, especially when you need NPCs to freely move across the map. It’s apparently MP 55 that's used and it does a terrific job. And of course we have the developers own spectacular Western characters and weapons - a Western Rifle & Pistol perfectly rigged to EAI's Hands (in stylish brown leather gloves) with adequate reload animations. In addition we also get an MP 54-style hand-held map (rigged also to EAI’s hands - I’d buy that in an instant!) The only thing not 100% accurate is the small shack in the middle of nowhere built from bricks instead of wood.
Gameplay
- We get an ingame-intro with some text, a cutscene with voiceover and a small 1st level with a shooting range and an additional conversation (more of a voiceover) - complete with a believable transition to the 2nd level where we then get gunfights, a little searching and an (easy) riddle. All that with short loading times and a steady framerate of 55+

The Bad:
- Enemy AI
The bad guys must have been recruited directly from a Bud Spencer & Terrence Hill Spaghetti Western, because even “cannonfodder” would be a flattering description. They can easily be shot from the far end of the map and when they finally start to approach, it’s easy to hit them numerous times before they return fire. Which is most unfortunate because with the rifle you only need a single shot...
- Environment
While the media is top, the map is not. We have a campfire with nothing to accompany it. No equipment, no containers, not even a log or stone to sit upon. There is also a barren digging site that cries out for a pick, a shovel and some wooden beams. And we have a shack with just the props necessary for the story but no bed, no containers, no additional “stuff”.
- On a minor scale is, that the pick-up sound for the dead men’s weapons is the reloading sound.

The Ugly:
- Weapon Details
I know there are limitations to both player hands rigging and NPC stock animations - but Cowboys wielding their single Peacemakers with both hands…? Ouch! I’d prefer to have everybody equipped with rifles then. I also dearly missed an ironsight for the rifle and found that the revolver was useless due to ½(?) damage and 1/3 magazine size compared to the rifle.
- Voiceover Quality
Generally the voiceovers where hard to understand which did spoil the fun a lot – especially when playing the game for the very first time.

Spoiler:

On a side note, I have to admit that based on the 1st post I am not sure how much of the story is new&original and how much is borrowed from the game mentioned by the developer. In any case I generally like it and the the poem at the end is really funny.

On my personal demo-scale it’s a well earned 3.5 out of 5 and I’d call it “A fun little demo that could become one of the rare FPSC games, that plays in bright sunlight and actually tries to entertain the player instead of just impressing him.”

Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2011 03:18 Edited at: 27th Aug 2011 03:20
@The Storyteller 01- Great review! I am taking much into consideration. The point's of improvement are all definitely on the list.
* Voice-work-unfortunately we can't make team request threads until we have more to show, so all the voices are me and meant to mirror the original game...but if anyone is interested in helping on voice-work...
*AI-indeed it needs to be better, if anyone could point me in the right direction where I could get such a thing for FPSC then I would be in your debt.I used the standard FPSC ai for these guys.
*Map Details-point taken, indeed it is bare in the quarry as well as the shack needing more furniture. However the brick is intentional, Star does own a quarry and it's meant to be an abandoned quarry office, but admittedly it needs more fleshing out.
*Weapons- Indeed cowboy holding their guns with 2 hands didn't work for me either, I think I have a solution though. The player pistol was already in the works to drop the hand in walking and firing animations. The weapons do cause too much damage making it way to easy to kill enemies, this will definitely be changed.
*Original game- This demo is meant to be a recreation of the original game with a bit of graphical updates and new engine of course. The original game is being remade in tandem with the sequal. In the original you had just the quarry and 4 different directions stages with the crossroads as a hub. in the sequal there will be at the least 5 stages for each direction, but for each direction you will return to the one of the previous games stages. If anyone is intrested in playing the original game, please check my dev forum under WildWestGoldHunter2 for a link to the download.
Thanks for this review, it is extremely valueable to the development of this game.

Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2011 07:25 Edited at: 28th Aug 2011 08:11
I've posted a list of things to work on with progress in the initial post. If anybody has any other suggestions, please let me know. thanks.

*Character Pistol Animation
*Player Pistol Animation
*Weapon Damage
*Weapon Pickup Sound
*Character AI
*Map Details

The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2011 11:14
Quote: "If anybody has any other suggestions, please let me know. "
just sent you a mail

ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "* Voice-work-unfortunately we can't make team request threads until we have more to show, so all the voices are me and meant to mirror the original game...but if anyone is interested in helping on voice-work..."

I don't know how bad my drawl is but I'm from the Southern states... so perhaps I'd be authentic?

Whoever said that Intel graphics fail, obviously never owned a Core i5.
Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2011 07:18 Edited at: 2nd Sep 2011 07:19
@ASTEK-Mail sent.

Been working diligently on improving things. Having trouble finding a gunslinger single handed pistol animation. Second level coming soon.

The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2011 11:32
Quote: "Having trouble finding a gunslinger single handed pistol animation"

I have thought about that too. I think there never has been a single-handed stock animation because it's a lot more work to animate the model with a gun in one hand and an empty hand. While the hand/arm with the gun is steady during movement, the empty one has to be seperately animated for all movement animations otherwise it would look weird.

Have you thought about an animation with a gun in each hand shooting from the hip?

Personally I think the game would look allready better with the gunslingers wielding only rifles and just the player having a single-handed Peacemaker animation.

Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2011 15:09
Quote: "Personally I think the game would look allready better with the gunslingers wielding only rifles and just the player having a single-handed Peacemaker animation."

I would too but, I'm trying to cut down reliance on the rifle and use the more plentiful pistol. Although I could have the player just 'find' more pistol ammo than rifle. the only problem this causes is the player constantly picking up rifle ammo from enemies since that is all they drop. I will however think it over, since the original game only had a rifle (or double barreled shotgun) as the only weapon. I may reserve the pistol wielding enemies for the sequel whereas I may have an animated model by then.(I have a few ideas hatched in my head about how to do this.)So yes, probably the best rout for now is to have everyone with rifles.

The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2011 16:01
Quote: "the player constantly picking up rifle ammo from enemies since that is all they drop"

Do the really HAVE to drop the ammo? For the sake of the original game? Otherwise just make their weapons non-pickup in the character .fpe

BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2011 19:43
Quote: "Have you thought about an animation with a gun in each hand shooting from the hip?"

That would be cool to see. A level where you get to dual against the gunfighter

Quote: "Although I could have the player just 'find' more pistol ammo than rifle. the only problem this causes is the player constantly picking up rifle ammo from enemies since that is all they drop."

That is easy to fix. Just change the "Can Take Weapon" and "Take Weapon's Ammo" to No in the properties for the character. This will help reduce the amount of ammo collected.

I have confidence you will come up with something that will look great.

ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
@ Disturbing13-

I'm sorry but I've had some surprise dental work done recently and I now have a lisp. I also am trying to talk less as the more
I introduce air into my mouth, the more painful it can get.

I apologize for the inconvenience.

Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2011 13:38
@BlackFox- I'm working on a kind of odd 3rd person view where you need to have a an old fashioned western gun duel. I'll probbably reserve it for boss battles. Getting the mechanics worked out right now.

@ASTEK- no problem. I'm in no rush right now.Take time and heal up. It's completely understandable. Get well buddy.

ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, I'm feeling a little better... but I've come to terms that I'm not exactly corny. I'd sound pretty fake too if I tried
to be real thick country sounding.

If I get around to it, I'll try and see what I can cook up.

Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2011 02:44
Doesn't have to be thick or any dialect at all. I would just like to have someone else besides myself doing voices. I can only adjust my voice so much with programs before it sounds way too distorted. So anything would be cool right now.

Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2011 04:24 Edited at: 10th Sep 2011 04:25
Sorry for the double post but here is an update on the next level of the WWGH1 remake. i'm posting this just to show a bit of progress before I start on my level for the contest. Pictured is one of the four directions you can travel in-Stone Chappel.

Disturbing13
Dev Forum Store

Attachments

The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2011 16:55
A single handed Colt - YEHAAW!

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 10th Sep 2011 18:03
Just don't let the one hand/two hand issue get too critical. You've got a nice start on a fun game with a great concept. I think this is one title that you can really get a story into. I'm looking forward to more play.

Brian.

Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2011 22:27 Edited at: 11th Sep 2011 00:44
@The Storyteller 01_ wasn't that difficult to achieve, just had to alter the position of the left hand in the idle , walk and firing animations.

@xplosys- Thanks! That's my main goal in all of this is to make something fun and unique. I can't take full credit for the concept since this is a remake, i just improved the mechanics in which it was implemented (thanks to Conjured). As for more gameplay I'm working on one of the stages for the sequal this time (For the contest), and I hope to deliver something unique to FPSC. So far things have been going well on it. I'll have some Wip soon. thanks again for the compliments.

EDIT:
Here is a shot from WWGH2 for my entry in the contest. It may not look like much right now, but I guarantee it's a different experience than any you've had in FPSC.

Disturbing13
Dev Forum Store

Attachments

Leongamerz
Years of Service
User Offline
WOW lookings good man and really looks like west style.So how many frame rate did you got when making outdoor level?.

Poloflece,Anayar,PWP,Henry Ham,Cosmic Prophet,Wolf,Rolfy,KeithC,Nickydude,SceneCommander,Dark Goblin And Lee Bamber is my icon.

Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2011 07:06
Thanks! In the area with enemies I'm getting an average of 40fps.
But my system may have kinda high specs.may not though.

*Pentium Dualcore 3.20GHz processor
*4GB ram
*Ati Radeon HD4550 1gb

So most FPSC games run just fine for me. My lower spec comp probably wouldn't do so well.

Disturbing13
Dev Forum Store
Leongamerz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2011 12:42 Edited at: 11th Sep 2011 12:43
Quote: "Thanks! In the area with enemies I'm getting an average of 40fps.
But my system may have kinda high specs.may not though.

*Pentium Dualcore 3.20GHz processor
*4GB ram
*Ati Radeon HD4550 1gb

So most FPSC games run just fine for me. My lower spec comp probably wouldn't do so well."

Thanks for the spec.I really need to know that because in my laptop ATI Radeon 3400 512 mb is not powerful.I only got 30-35 frame rate in outdoor and indoor 30-49.Anyway,good luck on this project man.

Poloflece,Anayar,PWP,Henry Ham,Cosmic Prophet,Wolf,Rolfy,KeithC,Nickydude,SceneCommander,Dark Goblin And Lee Bamber is my icon.

BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2011 20:29
Lookin' good, Disturbing 13. Lookin' mighty fine indeed.

The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2011 21:48
Quote: "Here is a shot from WWGH2 for my entry in the contest. It may not look like much right now, but I guarantee it's a different experience than any you've had in FPSC."

A wild guess:

Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2011 00:41
@Leongamerz- 30-35 outdoor is still pretty good in my book. thanks for the info.

@BlackFox- Thanks pardner!

@The Storyteller 01- Close but no cigar.Perhaps after I throw up a few more pics you can see where this is going.

Disturbing13
Dev Forum Store

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 18:15:36
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 18:15:36