Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / My turret defense game (warning! contains blood!)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Scrap Mechanic
Posted: 24th Aug 2011 18:14 Edited at: 30th Aug 2011 05:30
UPDATE 8-29-11: Beta 2 - http://xeridox.com/phenom_td_beta2.zip

Original post:

I've been working on this for about 5 weeks, and I think it's time to show it off to those interested.

As of yet, I've not seen any other tower/turret defense games made in dbpro (maybe I didn't look hard enough, I dunno) but anyway here's some images and a video, as well as a link to the game below.

Beware! This game contains blood! Proceed with caution...

Images - Click to view full size

Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bELtr8Pvvro

Beta Demo:

The ReadMe.txt has some valuable information in it, including how effective each weapon is against each

type of enemy, and how to play if you're new to turret defense games. I don't have the effectiveness chart in the game yet, so either print the readme or keep it open for reference.

http://xeridox.com/phenom_td_beta2.zip

Enjoy!

Phenom - MP FPS WIP - With bot support, even online!
Official Website -> http://xeridox.com
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2011 21:51
Awesome! Looks really good. Downloading...

Anomaly452
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2011 22:56
I agree, this is such a cool game! I luvz me sum towa defenz

The wisest leader is the one that can avoid the conflict in the first place.
Quel
Years of Service
User Offline
There is some serious bug here with me, the units go all around the place and eventually out of screen so i can't finish the wave... maybe it's because the laptop resolution? just a quick guess...

-In.Dev.X: A unique heavy story based shoot'em ~35%
-CoreFleet: An underground commander unit based RTS ~15%
-TailsVSEggman: An Sonic themed RTS under development for idea presentation to Sega ~15%
Xeridox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2011 01:43 Edited at: 25th Aug 2011 02:21
Uh oh, not good...it may not be able to process everything in time...my computer is quite powerful, dual core e7500 processor and an nVidia 8800 graphics card.

I will try and see if I can force the units to always proceed to the next node, though they may be a bit more jerky then, but at least they will work.

EDIT: OK I think I have it fixed. I temporarily forced the framerate to slow to 13 fps on my comp and yep, they ran everywhere... Also added the fps to the screen so we can see just what fps you're getting.

Replace the exe with the attached one. If it works, I will update the original download link on my website. I also expect the enemies don't animate like they should, perhaps they appear to do more gliding across the ground rather than walking? I will work on this later also.

File attached!

EDIT: Attachment deleted, see post below for newest file...

Xeridox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2011 02:20
And I noticed another problem I think I just fixed, seems I forgot to set projectiles to move by time, so rockets and such were probably sluggish before.

Attched is another exe.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Quel
Years of Service
User Offline
Now it seems to be working fine!

I see you real time load in the new wave members, which may be seamless with your PC, but gives heavy multi second stops to the gameplay for me.

I'm developing a shoot'em up so it was essential for me to develop a trick to display hundreds of enemies entering the screen in split seconds, so here it is, very simple to think about it, not much harder to make it happen: load in every type of enemy at the very beginning, and then clone them as they enter the battlefield / delete them as they get to the end or being destroyed. Clonning is much faster than loading, and doing this with just the few needed enemies at a time won't stop the flow of the game on any kind of PCs.

-TailsVSEggman: An Sonic themed RTS under development for idea presentation to Sega ~15%
Quel
Years of Service
User Offline
Got an array subscript out of bounds error message at line 1126 or something on wave 35 when very many stuff was going on.

If it was something like a reached limit for max possible rockets or like that i would primarily put in a limit that above XYZ existing rockets there cannot be spawned more unless an existing rocket dies. Sure would show a bit awkward that a turret doesn't fire when it should, but at least: no random crashes. Load in X number of stuff and hope nobody will request that much is the worst solution.

Until that error message it proved to be really stable. Though i would rather call this an alpha release right now because it is rather a particle sandbox with this basic level design.

Though at some points, it loved to just freeze the gameplay, and while it wasn't responding, it was like the enemies were still moving, so they loved popping up meters away than i last saw them thus getting a head start.

And i noticed that, at least with me, the ground damage and blood is aligned badly. They all appeared next to the road, on the ground, like the asphalt was there. It is not a random error, because as the road's curve goes, so the blood stains did, so it's offset is a bit misaligned.

Xeridox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2011 16:52
Actually, they're not loaded, they're instanced, much like cloning, except they take up less memory. What you're probably noticing is a delay that is intentional. Normally, it's a 1 second delay in the next line of members, unless there is another unit too close to the entrance, then they will delay until the entrance is clear, at least, that's supposed to happen. I made it that way because they would just keep spawning on top of each other.

Sorry about the error message, I'm surprised you got 2000 objects on the screen at once! I will work on a fix for it.

Glad you enjoyed! Please let me know if you find anything else.

Quel
Years of Service
User Offline
I basically relied on rocket launchers, a lots of them, guess that made up the 2000...

Delays are okay, but these are complete freezes, happening somewhat often, and also every time when a new type of object or image / animation is introduced to the game.

They rarely but sometimes still fool with the enemy path finding, and the rockets during these love to just be teleported all over the screen, then when the freeze is over, continue where they were.

Xeridox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2011 23:06 Edited at: 25th Aug 2011 23:13
Hmmm my Dad's computer does something similar with Phenom FPS as well, with the freezes I mean. Tell me, what are your system specs? I'd like to get to the root of this problem ASAP.

EDIT: You said that cloning objects worked for you, and everything is pre-loaded...Well, everything is cloned, except for enemy units, they are the only thing that is instanced instead. I wonder if that could be it? (end of EDIT)

Let me know, and this goes for everyone, if you think the game is too hard/easy, terribly unbalanced or whatever. I'm wanting to make this a really fun game, but challenging, for all of us tower defense lovers.

Quel
Years of Service
User Offline
Well yeah it's time to talk about it as an actual game finally!

It seemed insanely hard for me until i found out that the rocket launcher above lv1 becomes quite effective, and practically rules the place. It may be only the pretty straight forward beta level's design, but after around wave 15 when you have got a nice rocket launcher based setup, you are pretty much done, you just have to keep leveling up the turrets here and there.

Unfortunate for me that the freeze issue somehow f*cks up the rockets and their spawning thus creating objects over the limit so i can't finish the game. I was sad and was going to leave it alone completely but then i spotted the .txt file containing the enemy properties, so i cheated to test through the game. Using any other kind of weapons other than the rocket turret does not end up with error.

I like the overall 3d design, especially the towers, though the enemies are a bit uninspired. It is not a bad idea for the final boss what you did, but do it with more detail. It is just one big half screen model, the DBP engine can handle dozens times more detailed stuff to make it breath taking.

Also if i recall correctly, no matter what kind of enemy has reached the end, there was always one unit loss added. You should make it so that it depends on the size / nature of the enemy that how much is the loss. A simple cyborg kills one, a big tank 5 for example.

It is a bit uncomfortable not to be able to see how is the wave's progress going. Do something to display how much of it is past and how much is still coming.

And i would give some idle animating to the turrets when they are not in action to liven up the level.

Xeridox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2011 02:15
Thanks for the input, I have to go to work for now, but after that and some sleep, I will be making updates and stuff. Later for now and enjoy modding! Check the Maps/Level1 folder for the waves.txt to modify the waves themselves heh heh.

Xeridox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2011 05:28 Edited at: 30th Aug 2011 05:37
OK I've worked on the crash problem and I think I fixed the lagging problem as well. Fixed several other things, and adjusted a lot of balancing.

Also added idle movement to the turrets, progress of the incoming units and remaining units. The readme is updated with these changes, including the effectiveness chart.

I've added a few new features, including alerts to notify you of enemy upgrades and turret upgrades. They should appear between the new Enemy Data section and the Wave section.

I checked the decals by keeping the units where they were after the decal had been placed, instead of the usual delete, and all of them were perfect. Some units do stray off the road a bit...

I think that's all the changes...anyway, on to the download!

http://xeridox.com/phenom_td_beta2.zip

Quel
Years of Service
User Offline
I don't know what you have done to the latest version up there, but it 's functioning horribly.

The enemy is once again all over the place, the rocket launcher became a joke AND its rockets are actually slower than the enemy units.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 05:32:50
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 05:32:50