Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

PureGDK / simply questions to Mistrel

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2011 16:48 Edited at: 26th Aug 2011 19:46
simply questions to Mistrel:
1) I use VStudio2008 & DarkGDK. I want to buy PureGDK, can I use native C++ commands (sprintf, etc.) in VStudio2008 + PureGDK ?
2) DarkGDK Commercial licence costs 30$, and claim text "Made with DarkGDK" in game. What can You say about PureGDK (for commercial using, i.e. selling my games) ?
3) If i'll bought PureGDK 2.0, will updates be free for me? (For example, PureGDK 3.0 ?)
4) I use Cloggy's D3DFunc plugin for DarkGDK. For PureGDK i need exactly same plugin? If not same: where I can take this special version of plugin?
Mistrel
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2011 21:36 Edited at: 26th Aug 2011 21:36
Quote: "1) I use VStudio2008 & DarkGDK. I want to buy PureGDK, can I use native C++ commands (sprintf, etc.) in VStudio2008 + PureGDK ?"

Yes. Just use main() instead of WinMain() to get a console window to display the output.

Quote: "2) DarkGDK Commercial licence costs 30$, and claim text "Made with DarkGDK" in game. What can You say about PureGDK (for commercial using, i.e. selling my games) ?"

There are no royalties or restrictions. You can sell as many copies as you like.

Quote: "3) If i'll bought PureGDK 2.0, will updates be free for me? (For example, PureGDK 3.0 ?)"

All updates for PureGDK 2.0 are free. Existing PureGDK 1.0 users are receiving a free upgrade. There are no plans for a 3.0 release at the moment. One thing at a time.

Quote: "4) I use Cloggy's D3DFunc plugin for DarkGDK. For PureGDK i need exactly same plugin? If not same: where I can take this special version of plugin?"

PureGDK uses DarkBasic Professional plugins not DarkGDK plugins. The D3DFunc library will work for you out of the box. Just make sure to put it in the right place and to compile with plugin support.

See here for how to set it up:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=187833&b=38

s_i
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2011 15:16 Edited at: 28th Aug 2011 15:19
I am playing with Examples and Help, trying to understand difference to DarkGDK.
1) Where dbTimer ?
2) Where Text commands (dbVal, dbLen, etc.) ?
3) Where File commands (dbReadString, dbOpenToRead, etc.) ?
4) In HELP (about "full screen windowed method") You use SetWindowPos(hWnd, HWND_TOPMOST, 0, 0, 0, 0, SWP_NOREPOSITION | SWP_NOSIZE);
There is a problem: how to swap windows when game is running?
(for example for debugging I swap to VStudio).
Maybe better to use HWND_TOP instead HWND_TOPMOST ? (in debug & release mode too)
What is Your opinion?
Mistrel
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Because DarkBasic Professional is a complete programming language it incorporates features such as time elapsed (dbTimer()), string functions (dbVal(), dbLen()), and file commands(dbReadString(), dbOpenToRead()).

Because PureGDK wraps the engine for use with another language, these features are expected to already exist and are therefore redundant and nonessential to the functionality of the engine.

For C++, dbTimer is replaced by clock() (see time.h) or GetTickCount() (see Windows.h/MSDN). There is an example of GetTickCount() in PureGDK examples "animation-1", "basic3d-1", and "matrix-2".

File operations are handled with either ifstream, ofstream, fopen, fread, fwrite, etc; or Win32 equivalents.

Quote: "There is a problem: how to swap windows when game is running? Maybe better to use HWND_TOP instead HWND_TOPMOST ? (in debug & release mode too)"

The example provided in the help file is just an example. You can customize it however you like. For example, I use main() while debugging so that I can use the console window for debugging output and only set it to WinMain() for release.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 08:47:37
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 08:47:37