Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK .NET / My advice to DGDK.net users

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2011 20:36
Hi there,

it seems that this forum is very quiet lately, specially since APEXnow, the DGDK.net creator, doesn't visit us as often as he used to do.

Nevertheless, I think DGDK.net is still a valid wrapper and that many things can be done with it.

I see people asking questions and having very few or no answers at all.

Just point out that, I recommend to anyone who wants to know how to do this or that with DGDK.net, to dig and search for previous postings here in the DGDK.net forum, but also, you could take a look to the Dark Basic Pro (DBPro), DGDK, Code Snippets sections of the forum, and the CodeBase.

Almost all DBPro/DGDK commands can be translated easily to their corresponding DGDK.net functions. That means that all DBPro/DGDK code and snippets can be used as 'pseudocode'. That is a powerful resource, as there are lots of useful pieces of code around, and solutions to common problems that arise with 3d/2d programming.

I also see others collaborating with the community and posting tips here and there. I think that's great, and I encourage other users to follow the same spirit, so that the DGDK.net community stays healthy.

Just remember that you are not alone here in the TGC forums, however, if we are to talk about C#, then you are the experts

APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2011 21:05
I still visit when I can. Also, my email is always available so if there is anything really urgent that needs sorting, I can respond via email. My visits to the forum are lesser, but it's because most of the day, I'm in an office with other co-workers. The boss does not take too kindly to using work time for pleasure browsing.

Paul.

Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2011 12:39 Edited at: 3rd Sep 2011 12:41
It is great to know that you are there Paul.
For me it should be enough guarantee to know that I would get support if I start a serious project and something goes wrong.

I think DGDK.net still has its room for development, just between DGDK and DBPro.

In fact, I'm pondering about using DGDK.net to make a spaceship configuration editor, as it seems the most straight way to do it.
It would be easier to do it with DGDK.net than with DGDK, and more powerful than with DBPro, because of the native windows GUI controls.

However I haven't had the time to start this sub-project. I've pondered as well to hire someone here in the community to have it done under my supervision, so if anyone feels capable, has the knowledge and is interested, just get in touch. Visual basic would be the way.

APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2011 00:57
It's quite interesting to hear this because I've always thought that although you won't get blindingly fast performance from DarkGDK.NET, and this is understandable because of the general nature of the beast, it does have great merit for writing game design tools.

The fact that you can write mapping, modelling or even a relatively good game quite quickly using the toolkit is what makes it a cool toolkit to use.

As said my friend, if any support is needed, I'll do my best to answer any and all questions, and the email option is always open.

Paul.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 09:13:48
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 09:13:48