Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / WIP - Dark Survival 2

Author
User Banned
Posted: 29th Aug 2011 05:10 Edited at: 21st Feb 2013 22:31

Dark Survival 2 is a first person shooter that is currently under production.

The game engine (written in DBC) is mostly complete. However, development of the game itself is still underway.

Here are some of the features being worked on:

- Over 12 areas to blast your way through.
- A campaign that could last over an hour.
- Graphics on par with Half-Life.

It is a sequel to Dark Survival.

You can track the status of the game engine here.

You can track the status of the game here.

Download the current Dark Survival 2 demo here.

Any suggestions/criticism welcome in this thread.
Fluffy Rabbit
User Banned
Posted: 6th Sep 2011 00:50 Edited at: 7th Sep 2012 05:54
[accidental double post]
CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2011 08:06
I like the idea of the dynamic level loading. Do you have any gameplay videos?

Malevolence: The Sword of Ahkranox
www.msoa-game.com
www.facebook.com/malevolencegame
Fluffy Rabbit
User Banned
Posted: 6th Sep 2011 20:36 Edited at: 7th Sep 2012 05:55
Quote: "I like the idea of the dynamic level loading. Do you have any gameplay videos?"

I do not at this point. For right now, here's another screenshot:

Fluffy Rabbit
User Banned
Posted: 9th Sep 2011 04:14 Edited at: 19th Jul 2013 01:28
And another one:

[screenshot removed by host]
Teh Stone
Years of Service
User Offline
You say there are too many features to list but you really need to either

1) Improve the visuals

or

2) Make a video that demonstrates the features and show how it is different to other shooter

No one will buy this game just from whats shown in those screen shots
Quel
Years of Service
User Offline
Where is Dark Survival 1?

-In.Dev.X: A unique heavy story based shoot'em ~35%
-CoreFleet: An underground commander unit based RTS ~15%
-TailsVSEggman: An Sonic themed RTS under development for idea presentation to Sega ~15%
Fluffy Rabbit
User Banned
Posted: 13th Sep 2011 11:02
@Teh Stone- I'm not selling it. It's free.

@Quel- Good question!

I have decided to delay the release a couple months. It's not quite complete, and I would rather release a better game at a later date than a crappy game right now.

I know you're probably thinking "Duke Nukem Forever", but there is one difference between my game and that one- Dark Survival is not nearly as big of a name, so the expectations are much, much lower. Besides, I don't think it will take 12 years.

Oh, you mean the original game? Well, Dark Survival was terrible. Bottom line, people didn't like Brick Break's only contribution to this forum. I put a download to it on Brick Break's Freewebs site, but there are a few problems with it, and unfortunately I don't have the source code. Still, if you're really curious:

DarkSurvival.zip
Quel
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes, I'm definately thinking Duke Nukem Forever, don't disappoint man.

I'll just sit here, and watch.

-In.Dev.X: A unique heavy story based shoot'em ~35%
-CoreFleet: An underground commander unit based RTS ~15%
-TailsVSEggman: An Sonic themed RTS under development for idea presentation to Sega ~15%
Fluffy Rabbit
User Banned
Posted: 14th Sep 2011 00:09 Edited at: 14th Sep 2011 01:49
@Quel-

It wouldn't be fair to keep you waiting, although I am not done. So, I will do what any reasonable developer would do: I'll release a demo.

EDIT: A demo which is now released. Need I remind you to check the first post?
Fluffy Rabbit
User Banned
Posted: 8th Oct 2011 05:54 Edited at: 10th Oct 2011 05:08
Dark Survival 2 Engine is now updated to support automatic screen resolutions. Thanks Latch!

EDIT: I see that more people are downloading the Dark Survival 2 demo and not the Dark Survival 2 Engine because of this post. Mind you, the update was to the Engine, not the demo.
Fluffy Rabbit
User Banned
Posted: 1st Nov 2011 22:38 Edited at: 7th Sep 2012 05:57
Dark Survival 2 Engine updated with a main menu.
noobnerd
Years of Service
User Offline
looks really nice but it doesnt look so "dark" ? it might look scarier if it was darker and maybe some fog?
Fluffy Rabbit
User Banned
Posted: 16th Nov 2011 02:57
@noobnerd- Those are some excellent suggestions. I will be sure to add fog and greater lighting control in the next release of the engine.
Fluffy Rabbit
User Banned
Posted: 26th Nov 2011 22:58 Edited at: 27th Mar 2012 11:24
Dark Survival 2 Engine 10 released. It now has fog and dark lighting.
Dr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2011 05:41
I like it! Ran fast enough on my netbook, although hard to play with the trackpad! Worked solidly. Graphics seemed a bit retro but nothing wrong with that.

Things to think about doing:

sliding collision

aspect ratio changing -seems like set to 4:3, but i have widescreen so things looked a bit squashed. Not a big deal but can see the moon is squashed.

shot collisions and AI:
the bad guy managed to shoot me through a wall.

more strippers!
Fluffy Rabbit
User Banned
Posted: 9th Jan 2012 03:32 Edited at: 7th Sep 2012 05:59
Quote: "I like it! Ran fast enough on my netbook, although hard to play with the trackpad! Worked solidly. Graphics seemed a bit retro but nothing wrong with that.

Things to think about doing:

sliding collision

aspect ratio changing -seems like set to 4:3, but i have widescreen so things looked a bit squashed. Not a big deal but can see the moon is squashed.

shot collisions and AI:
the bad guy managed to shoot me through a wall.

more strippers! "

I like your input, but this is all very academic. Have you tried the new engine? All you have to do is download the newest version and copy over the files from the demo, replacing everything in the folders lvl, mus and tex.

Sliding collision? Not a chance. At least not for another month or so.

Aspect ratio- the problems you mentioned were overcome in the latest version of the engine.

Bullets going through walls? That's another "feature" that I wouldn't dare fix. You know how it is. This is a really similar issue to sliding collisions.

Strippers? Certainly. I have worked very hard adding more to the newest version of the game, which has not been released yet.
29 games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2012 00:15
Quote: "Sliding collision? Not a chance."

Quote: "Bullets going through walls? That's another "feature" that I wouldn't dare fix"

Why?

There is a version of Sparky's collision dll for DBC that is good enough to sort both these issues out. It only does basic ray casting, returns static and sliding collision. It's more that possible to do first person sliding collision, line of sight with this and basic bullet collision. You should be able to find the dll in the program announcement board if you haven't got it already.

Another method for the sliding collision would to be use static collision boxes. For what I can tell, the maps are created using primatives so it should be fairly easy to put a static collision box on top of the primative as you've already had to work out all the positions for the primatives.

You could even consider maths collision for sliding collision with the walls, seeing as they are essentially straight lines parallel with the x and z axis which makes the maths a lot easier.

To say sliding collision and basic bullet collision can't be done really does give DBC a bad reputation it doesn't deserve.
Fluffy Rabbit
User Banned
Posted: 14th Jan 2012 03:51
@29 games-

I agree, but it's more complicated than that. Sparky's has glitches I won't go into. Sorry.
Fluffy Rabbit
User Banned
Posted: 28th Apr 2012 06:15
Version 11 of the Engine is released. Check the first post for a link to the project.
Fluffy Rabbit
User Banned
Posted: 15th Aug 2012 01:51
I updated the first post with the newest demo. Collisions no longer stick.
Fluffy Rabbit
User Banned
Posted: 7th Sep 2012 05:45 Edited at: 7th Sep 2012 06:01
I released an update to the demo/engine. In it, I have implemented both Latch's ColDet wrapper and the matrix mesh library. Meaning, you can now have complex landscapes, platforms, elevators, ramps, stairs or whatever, plus it runs faster.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2012 16:55
Well this looks promising, can't play it now but I will try to when I get home.

Quote: "it's more complicated than that. Sparky's has glitches I won't go into. Sorry."

There's not much difference between sparky's and ColDet.

TheComet

"if you don't understand recursion than you probably don't understand recursion." ~Jerico2day
Fluffy Rabbit
User Banned
Posted: 7th Sep 2012 18:03
@TheComet-

Well, be sure to post about it when you try it.

Anyhow, the big difference between Sparky's and ColDet in my mind is that Sparky's doesn't let you reuse object numbers, which would require a rewrite of the engine.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2012 22:27
Quote: "Sparky's doesn't let you reuse object numbers, which would require a rewrite of the engine."

That's crap. The following code will replace object 2 with a new object and set it up using sparky's. Works perfectly on my end.

TheComet

"if you don't understand recursion than you probably don't understand recursion." ~Jerico2day
Fluffy Rabbit
User Banned
Posted: 8th Sep 2012 04:38
@TheComet-

Levels are made out of more than one object in Dark Survival 2. If a previous level loaded 200 complex objects, there needs to be a way to clear all of those objects from memory, but there isn't.

Besides, ColDet is faster (according to Latch) and has a handy sphere collision method that the engine currently uses.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2012 11:04
Quote: "but there isn't."

When you delete the objects, it automatically clears from memory in sparky's.

TheComet

"Why geeks like computers: unzip, strip, touch, finger, grep, mount, fsck, more, yes, fsck, fsck, fsck, umount, sleep." - Unknown
Fluffy Rabbit
User Banned
Posted: 8th Sep 2012 15:04
@TheComet-

That is impossible, and untrue. I have an old Dark Survival 2 demo from when I first started implementing Sparky's, and the residual ghosts of objects long dead haunted the level with invisible walls.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2012 17:48
Then you've done something wrong, because it worked fine for me in Tombstone.

TheComet

"Why geeks like computers: unzip, strip, touch, finger, grep, mount, fsck, more, yes, fsck, fsck, fsck, umount, sleep." - Unknown
Fluffy Rabbit
User Banned
Posted: 9th Sep 2012 04:28
@TheComet-

Regardless, I'm using ColDet now. It works just as well.

Your game looks really good, by the way. Are you still working on it?
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2012 04:52
Thanks. Nope, I stopped working on that about 3 years ago.

Keep up your good work on this project, it's looking good!

TheComet

Fluffy Rabbit
User Banned
Posted: 9th Sep 2012 09:30
@TheComet-

Thank you, but I don't think I'll be adding anything significant to the engine for quite a while. I've expended a lot of my brain juices getting it up to this point.
Fluffy Rabbit
User Banned
Posted: 9th Nov 2012 22:03
... Two months later, and the engine has progressed significantly. There is now support for different types of weapons and vertex animation, as well as a mod manager.

From here, I think I'll try to make some fresh enemy meshes in Blender and animate them using the new vertex animation system. After that, I'll probably add a few small features and release another update.

Also, in case anyone was wondering, the downloads that I mark as "demo" are actual updates to the DS2 engine itself. There's no point in downloading the old releases marked "engine" except for tracking the development of the project. The newer releases have more features.
Fluffy Rabbit
User Banned
Posted: 31st Jan 2013 11:37
Alright, I released a new demo featuring slightly improved grahics and a new Japanese-themed level (link updated in first post).
Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2013 10:58
Quote: "I know you're probably thinking "Duke Nukem Forever", but there is one difference between my game and that one- Dark Survival is not nearly as big of a name, so the expectations are much, much lower. Besides, I don't think it will take 12 years."

Quote: "From the award winning creator of the original Dark Survival comes the next game in the series -

Dark Survival 2 is the sci-fi space epic the world has been waiting for."

Quote: "Play as John, the middle aged war veteran with a hatred for aliens."

What can I say.. that just made my day. "middle aged war veteran with a hatred for aliens", this is just great.

Well, anyway, how about a few screenshots of the new theme?

Fluffy Rabbit
User Banned
Posted: 4th Feb 2013 22:45
Quote: ""I know you're probably thinking "Duke Nukem Forever", but there is one difference between my game and that one- Dark Survival is not nearly as big of a name, so the expectations are much, much lower. Besides, I don't think it will take 12 years."

"From the award winning creator of the original Dark Survival comes the next game in the series -

Dark Survival 2 is the sci-fi space epic the world has been waiting for.""

Uh...

Quote: "Well, anyway, how about a few screenshots of the new theme?"

Fluffy Rabbit
User Banned
Posted: 21st Feb 2013 00:17 Edited at: 21st Feb 2013 17:36
The Dark Survival 2 engine has once again been updated. (Download link in first post.)

Many of you have been having problems starting the game up until this point. That problem is now resolved thanks once again to Latch, who helped me troubleshoot the problem. The game should now run perfectly for you if it didn't before.

In addition, this new demo features a new targeting system. When your gun is in use, you will see a glowing spot in the center of the screen for aiming purposes.

One additional bug has been fixed with the main menu. The game should no longer jump to the first level before you click anything.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 15:27:39
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 15:27:39