Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Application.exe name to follow .dbpro ?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi folks...

How do we ensure the 'Application.exe' takes the name of our .dba or .dbpro when you compile ?...I'm sure in days of old it used to.

Yes I know you can change the 'default' name but how can you make it follow your project/.dba file name without editing it each time ?

Regards
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2011 04:43
You can set the name of the application in the editor. It depends on the editor you are using as to how you do it.

DigitalDreams
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes you can set the name, but every time for different projects !?. DBpro didn't used to be a problem a few years back.

The editor is the standard "Darkbasic Professional Editor powered by Synergy Editor", Build Jun 23 2010....

Regards
Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Green Hell
Posted: 4th Sep 2011 23:05 Edited at: 4th Sep 2011 23:08
The filename you want to us should be saved in the .dbpro file (the project file). If it's not keeping the change you're not saving the .dbpro file. Like LBFN said it depends on the editor you use but most of them have separate "save .dbpro" and "save .dba" (the code) options or you can hit "save all" which saves both. The only editors I've seen that don't have separate saves is Indigo and Blue IDE 2... which automatically gives you the option to save .dbpro then the .dba file when you hit "save".

Edit: I just checked. The IDE you use the "Save" option is only for the .dba file, and the "Save Project" option is only for the .dbpro file. Always use "Save All" when you want to save in that IDE.

DigitalDreams
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2011 12:04 Edited at: 11th Sep 2011 12:05
"The filename you want to us should be saved in the .dbpro file (the project file)"

How do I do that ??, there does not seem to be an option. Simply saving 'all' has no effect, the green arrow (save, compile & run) still creates 'Application.exe' !. I can set the filename in the application properties, but EVERY time !?. I'm compiling many small test programs and want them to have the same name as the .dba or .dbpro

I don't remember having this problem using Dbpro years ago....Is there not an option somewhere to have the .exe ALWAYS take the name of the .dba/.dbpro ?

Regards
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2011 14:58
To avoid confusion, first off I save the dba with the filename I want, i.e.:

MyGame.dba

I originally save the dbpro file using SAVE PROJECT AS with the same main name, but add 'proj' afterwards, like this:

MyGame proj.dbpro

To change the .exe filename itself in the default editor, go to TOOLS, OPTIONS, and click on the filename and change it to what you want, being sure to have .exe on the end. You have to change it for each different game you make.

This way, I always click on the .dbpro file to load a game. After I do these things to set it all up initially, all I have to do in the future when working on the game is click on SAVE ALL and it takes care of it.

This is how I do it and I do not have any issues with it at all. It is merely a suggestion to show you how you can avoid confusion.

Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Green Hell
Posted: 11th Sep 2011 19:09
@ LBFN:

Good idea! That's actually how I save when working with Paint Shop Pro and I want to save in it's own format FileName(PSP).psp but I never thought about doing that for .dbpro files... FileName(PRO).dbpro much easier.

@ DigitalDreams:

Sorry I assumed you were having a problem keeping the .exe name change. I didn't realize that you didn't know where to change it. If you have trouble working with any IDE you can always open the .dbpro file into Notepad (or any text editor) and change anything you want.

Here's an example .dbpro file (where it says "executable" is the .exe that's created):

Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2011 00:25 Edited at: 13th Sep 2011 00:27
I believe he wants DBPro to AUTOMATICALLY save the .exe file with the name of his project, WITHOUT having to change the name himself.

In the options for synergy, there is a place to type in the filename you want the .exe saved as. I tried *.exe and .exe to see if I could trick it into putting the project name in there, no joy. And if you leave it blank, it substitutes temp.exe as the filename.

It sure would be nice to have as a feature, though.

DigitalDreams
Years of Service
User Offline
At last !, someone understands me

I'm sure an old version of DBpro did this....time for an update ?

Regards
Dr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2011 20:11 Edited at: 13th Nov 2011 20:23
I had some trouble with this but it seems all you need to do is, on the box on the left hand side at the bottom find the "properties" tab, where you can change the exe name.

It means i can just change the exe name whenever i change the dba version #, which isn't that different on top of always changing the dbp name too.

Does anyone know the "recommended" way to work with the editor?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-20 06:11:22
Your offset time is: 2024-05-20 06:11:22