Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPS Creator X10 / New X10 Shaders

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2011 19:16 Edited at: 6th Sep 2011 20:26
Greetings and salutations,

We will be developing some new shaders for FPSCx10. I'm pleased to say that our first attempt at converting a ps3 shader to a FPSCx10 ready shader was successful - a shader for static entities - Toksvig NormalMaps.

""Toksvig-factor" anti-aliased bump mapping -- eliminate "buzzy" highlights along bump edges. Note use of 16-bit textures (g16r16) for precision with performance."

I will make this available to the community later today after getting the explicit consent of the researcher who did the actual work.

We will be creating a few new shaders from scratch. The scoop is that FPSCx10's formatting is so funky that converting shaders in any sort of batch process is not possible. They must be redone line by line.

For those who are interested in getting into this, I will post the original shader along with the FPSC-ready shader so you can see what was done.

I have limited access to this researchers time and we are prioritizing based on our needs but if you have some ideas that you would like to see implemented and they fall within our scope, we can probably get 'em done. So, let me know your thoughts.

All work will be provided for free and unlimited in use (unless we have converted existing work - in which case the original licensing will remain in place).

Cheers,
SREALIST

EDIT: the shader works on dynamic entities as well but must be declared in the FPE
budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Hard to get
Posted: 6th Sep 2011 19:35
AWESOME NEWS! I'm very excited for this, if you could post the original with the new (preferably commented too) then I'll definitely try to help out with new shaders.

Be yourself, but make sure you don't sound like a dying sheep.
srealist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2011 19:58 Edited at: 6th Sep 2011 22:51
Here is the shader:

Save to effectsbank/common and name however you like (e.g. NormalMap.fx). Do not try to add the shader to a dynamic entity in editor mode - it will crash same as it does if you try to add bumpent.fx in the editor. Add the shader to the FPE file.

To view the ps3 shader go to:
http://developer.download.nvidia.com/shaderlibrary/webpages/shader_library.html

And find "Toksvig NormalMaps"
The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2011 21:11
Awesome news!! So excited to see this.

Mystic Mod - Putting the fear back into sliced bread since 4th May 2010
Windows 7 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 3.4Ghz, 8GB DDR3, ATI Radeon HD 4770 1GB, 2TB RAID-0 Hard disk
srealist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2011 22:54 Edited at: 6th Sep 2011 23:18
Updated my second post and you will now find the fpsc ready shader above as well as a link to the nvidia shader. I can not redistribute nvidia's shader so you must go to the site to see the difference between the two. As you will see, it required a complete rewrite.

This shader works very well with 16 bit dds textures with mip maps. I can see no noticeable LOD popping and, more importantly, NO GLOWING entities.

When we get the new shader with spec and illumination maps...we'll be able to make some really cool looking stuff.

Le Shorte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2011 23:29
Awesome! Thanks a bunch!

Cheesehead for life.
NIlooc223
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2011 01:25
could you also remod darkshder while your at it? haha this is really cool! Anyways you should try making a full screen shader

Your signature has been erased by a mod - no affiliate links thanks
srealist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2011 02:58
All of the above is a possibility, however, I don't think we would look to mod darkshader, rather we might look into creating a new application and release it as open source.

At first, I thought this might be beyond the scope but I will look into the possibility of an application that allows for the tweaking of x10 shaders through a GUI. The one thing I will not ask him to do is learn dark basic. Too much overhead there and unless he really felt compelled to do this in his free time, that won't happen.

However, a lightweight application for tweaking shaders is not entirely out of the question. I will check and report back.

Again, I am not the one doing this work, rather it is an exceptional computer science grad student in my lab.
budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2011 03:02
If you can get him to do some good documentation on the x10 shaders, I could make a GUI. DS still requires the user to write the shaders, but factors can be changed and the shader can be viewed as you go and that would be how the x10 version would be too.

Be yourself, but make sure you don't sound like a dying sheep.
srealist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2011 03:13
Most excellent, Budo! I've no doubt that he will provide good documentation. I passed on your message to him. Will report back when I get a response.

Thanks!
Squalker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2011 03:16 Edited at: 7th Sep 2011 03:19
That is great can't wait for more Good work srealist

I am going to have some real fun with these when there done
srealist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2011 03:34
For those wanting to know the backstory...

The reason I can only get limited assistance with x10 is that I am the only one in my lab using it. Our main research is in mixed/augmented reality, digital puppetry, and graphics and vision algorithms- none of which could be reasonably handled in x10. As such, any help I get is limited to achieving immediate objectives.

But until someone hands me an engine that allows me to single-handedly create educational mini-games in four week intervals...I'm staying with x10.

And...admittedly, there is also a part of me that really enjoys being able to prove others wrong when it comes to FSPCx10. The things we can do and the rate at which we can do it, is beyond anything else I have seen.

Plus...I <3 our little community.
ThoughtWire Software
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2011 20:11
This is brilliant! Nice work srealist. Thanks!

science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
awesome work srealist love the determination and integrity in which you will not take no for an answer and challenge everyone and thing and come up with a trump card

an equation people at x10 makes srealist then then heres to you

an unquenchable thirst for knowledge of game creation!!!
srealist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2011 23:33
Quote: "an equation people at x10 makes srealist then then heres to you "

LOL! Perfect. Cheers!
Soviet176
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2011 06:40
This is interesting, so your saying you are now able to run a FPSC game with everything using PS3.0 shaders, so that a PS3.0 graphics card can run a x10 game?

Squalker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2011 14:09
Quote: "This is interesting, so your saying you are now able to run a FPSC game with everything using PS3.0 shaders, so that a PS3.0 graphics card can run a x10 game?"

Actually its a PS 3.0 shader that was re-written for x10
srealist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2011 14:50 Edited at: 9th Sep 2011 14:52
Squalker is correct. Any ps3 shaders would have to be completely rewritten, preserving basically only the algorithm or technique. The syntax and methodology of fpscx10 ps4 shaders is entirely different.

The only purpose in rewriting a ps3 shader is to utilize a particular technique - and in this case to test out the pipeline. However, the dude who is working on x10 shaders for me will most likely be writing all our shaders from scratch.
Soviet176
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2011 21:39
So this means in theory that we have reduced the need for a PS4.0 graphics card?

budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2011 21:43
Quote: "So this means in theory that we have reduced the need for a PS4.0 graphics card?"

No, the shaders were originally ps 3.0 shaders, but have been re-written in ps 4.0

Squalker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2011 01:07
Quote: "So this means in theory that we have reduced the need for a PS4.0 graphics card?"

No the shader is a PS 4.0 shader.... its just based off a PS 3.0.. You still need the PS 4.0 graphics card
unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2011 13:57
This shader is amazing. It really give a great effect.

Thanks to srealist and the dude that is helping him.

Great work.

Unfamillia

PS.

Quote: "Plus...I <3 our little community"

It's a nice little group! I feel proud to be a part of it

srealist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2011 18:34
Thanks, unfamillia!

I do have some unfortunate news as regards future shaders. I had to remove the task from the programmer's list because of reasons that would be silly to get into here. But for the time being, I do not have anyone to help me with the new shaders. Perhaps next semester I will get an eager undergrad interested in shaders to pick this up again.
Worf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2011 16:30
Sorry to hear this, maybe there is someone on here that might be able to help as new shaders are always welcome by everyone.

Best of luck.

Worf

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 10:43:15
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 10:43:15