Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Sprite Me - Easily create 2D sprites from 3D objects - Now available for purchase!

Author
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2011 05:36 Edited at: 29th Sep 2011 01:37

Description:

SpriteMe is a program that allows you to turn your 3D animation models into 2D sprite sheets with ease. With SpriteMe "what you see is what you get" and allows you to create sprites exactly the size you need for your game. This is the perfect tool to help aid you with your future 2D game development, especially now that AppGameKit is out!

Customers will get all future SpriteMe updates for free.

SpriteMe can now be purchased through TGC here:

http://www.thegamecreators.com/?m=view_product&id=2301

Want to try SpriteMe before buying it? You can try the demo of SpriteMe on its old WIP thread (Warning, demo is a bit outdated)http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=186213&b=8

If you would like to take a read through the manual, it is attached to this post.

Pictures:

Videos of Sprite Sheets made with SpriteMe in action:

Current Version: V1.1
ChangeLog:

Attachments

Login to view attachments
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2011 10:45
Quote: "Costumers will get all future SpriteMe updates for free."

I make costumes! Can I have a free update please?

Sorry, couldn't resist...

Well done hockeykid! I may have to give the demo a proper try as this would be a very useful tool for AGK. Can I suggest you produce a demo that has all the features of the full product but adds a watermark to the finished image? That way people can test the full product and when they're hooked they can buy the unblemished version! ...or does it already do that?

mr_d
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2011 12:37
looks like a handy program hockeykid, but the price is just that little over what I am willing to pay for something like this, sorry.
just to give you an idea; if it was half the price mentioned, then I'd buy it. it takes a little bit more work, but I can achieve the same result using a simple model viewer, the printscreen key, and a paint program...
anyway, good luck.

Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2011 13:39 Edited at: 10th Sep 2011 22:45
Quote: " Sorry, couldn't resist..."

That's fine, I laughed

Quote: "That way people can test the full product and when they're hooked they can buy the unblemished version! ...or does it already do that?"

Sort of, but not quite as elegant as that. I think I'll do that today, and update the demo to the latest build.

Quote: "looks like a handy program hockeykid, but the price is just that little over what I am willing to pay for something like this, sorry.
just to give you an idea; if it was half the price mentioned, then I'd buy it. it takes a little bit more work, but I can achieve the same result using a simple model viewer, the printscreen key, and a paint program...
anyway, good luck."

I didn't think $11 was that much :S. Anyways, I think it would be quite the hassle attempting to reproduce same results in a model viewer, especially having to crop each image perfectly and consistently then having to stitch them together one by one. Especially when you consider lighting, attachment items, etc

fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2011 16:41 Edited at: 9th Sep 2011 16:43
I wonder how it compares to spriteworks 2, its certainly a lot cheaper, though looks like its missing the normal map feature.
http://www.garagegames.com/products/spriteworks
This could be an opportunity to become a brand leader.

tschwarz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2011 22:13
Great utility unless you want to create all your content from scratch. With all the 3d models I have this is perfect for me.

fallen - spriteworks 2 does not support .x format and is 3 times the price. So, I don't think it compares to SpriteMe.

I tested SpriteMe and hockeykid went the distance to track down an anomaly. I was impressed. My only request is to have it default to all graphic formats, which would save me about 2 seconds of clicking. LOL

Placing my order, happy to see SpriteMe released.

Shall we play a game?” - Joshua
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I wonder how it compares to spriteworks 2"

One of the reasons I made SpriteMe was because I was looking for the something that would do exactly what SpriteMe does. The only result I really found was SpriteWorks 2, as soon as I saw the price and the limited number of features I said never-mind.

Quote: "though looks like its missing the normal map feature."

What exactly does the normal map feature do in SpriteWorks? Maybe I can add it in the next update if it isn't to complex.

Quote: "Placing my order, happy to see SpriteMe released."

Thanks for the support!

As for everyone that has made their purchases so far, emails have been sent out.

tschwarz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2011 04:42
The downloader works plus I noticed the newest version now has the "all" in the graphics and model formats.

Thank you

Shall we play a game?” - Joshua
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "The downloader works"

Good to hear!

Quote: "I noticed the newest version now has the "all" in the graphics and model formats. "

Yep, it was getting annoying without it!

Here is a sneak preview of the updated GUI, this update should be out sometime soon.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2011 05:27
Looks extremely useful; well done! Great price too.

-Keith

Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2011 08:52 Edited at: 14th Sep 2011 08:53
Update V1.1 is out! Use the SpriteMe downloader to grab the latest update.

ChangeLog:

Pictures:

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2011 16:35
I've tested the new update(s); and I can tell you it's definitely more user-friendly and complete.

-Keith

Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Just made a real quick video to show how quick and easy SpriteMe is.

fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2011 03:44
Does it work for non .x files, what other model formats does it support?

Can one have floor shadows without buying Model Pack 52?

Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2011 04:26 Edited at: 21st Dec 2011 21:40
Quote: "Does it work for non .x files, what other model formats does it support?"

Unfortunately only .x and .dbo

Quote: "Can one have floor shadows without buying Model Pack 52?"

At the moment no, but maybe as a possible feature.

Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2011 00:54 Edited at: 21st Dec 2011 21:40
Hi Guys, SpriteMe is about to be sold through TGC for $20. It should be up soon, so keep an eye out for it!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2011 12:17
Quote: "Hi Guys, SpriteMe is about to be sold through TGC for $15. It should be up soon, so keep an eye out for it!"

Congrats hockeykid!

Any chance you might be adding orthographic?

Also does it allow multiple animations in one sheet?

Oh, and what about nesting different sprite sizes in one sheet?

Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2011 08:12 Edited at: 28th Sep 2011 08:13
hockeykid - great job, I'm liking spriteme a lot!

One thing I'd like to see... I'd like for the bounding box to stay visible when I'm changing the size of my object. Right now I have to go back and forth to get the object to fit in my chosen bounding box size.

This goblin's a little slow and jerky, but that's due to my non-skills in making animated gifs!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2011 13:40
Rich; eliminate the last frame of your sheet and see how smooth the transition from last frame back to first frame is.

-Keith

Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "One thing I'd like to see... I'd like for the bounding box to stay visible when I'm changing the size of my object. Right now I have to go back and forth to get the object to fit in my chosen bounding box size."

Hi Rich, looks good! I had it visible for all tabs originally, but removed it upon request. I think I'll re-add it for the next update, as I do agree it is a bit annoying.
Quote: "Any chance you might be adding orthographic?"

Defiantly in the next update!

Quote: "Also does it allow multiple animations in one sheet?"

I included an image combiner under the "tools" menu, but for the next update I think I'll be adding some sort of way to add multiple animations in one go.

Quote: "Oh, and what about nesting different sprite sizes in one sheet?"

The included image combiner would probably allow for that.

Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
SpriteMe is now available for purchase through TGC, get it here:

http://www.thegamecreators.com/?m=view_product&id=2301

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2011 10:48
I am very tempted by the offer for both sprite making tools...

fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2011 03:33 Edited at: 30th Sep 2011 03:45
I tested with a model from 3drt, perhaps the scaling is different as the model was very small when opened, the sliders didn't work too good, so I had to key in the info, otherwise it messed things up. it was hard judging how far the light is from the model, but I think perhaps if one switches to a top down view it may help. Ill also test on another computer as the one I was using is not reliable.

I have a question, is it possible to make an animated gif or png, like the goblin above in the program? that would be very usefull for when one sends both a sprite sheet and an animated image to the programmer so they can understand what animation is what.

Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2011 07:57 Edited at: 30th Sep 2011 07:57
Quote: "I tested with a model from 3drt, perhaps the scaling is different as the model was very small when opened, the sliders didn't work too good, so I had to key in the info, otherwise it messed things up. it was hard judging how far the light is from the model, but I think perhaps if one switches to a top down view it may help. Ill also test on another computer as the one I was using is not reliable."

That's odd, let me know how it turn out. As a note: I find it best to change the "camera distance" to 0 and the "distance" to 150. In other words, I generally use "distance" rather than "camera distance".

Quote: "I have a question, is it possible to make an animated gif or png, like the goblin above in the program? that would be very usefull for when one sends both a sprite sheet and an animated image to the programmer so they can understand what animation is what."

At the moment no, but that does sound like a good idea! I'll look into it for the next update.

Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
For everyone having the following issue, or similar:

Quote: "SpriteMe: SpriteMe.exe - Unable to locate component.

* this application has failed to start because MSVCP71.DLL was not found. Re-install the application maybe fix the problem."

Try installed the "Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package" found here:
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=29

If that doesn't work, follow these steps:
http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/fix-msvcp71-dll-and-msvcr71-dll-missing-error-in-windows-7/

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2011 10:55
That's a huge workaround.

Anyone else having this problem might find it easier to drop the following files into the installation folder:
Missing dlls

The link is direct from the Matrix1 Utility thread.

Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "That's a huge workaround.

Anyone else having this problem might find it easier to drop the following files into the installation folder:"

Thanks for that, I was going to suggest that too, but I thought I would make it sound to confusing.

Anyways, for the next update I'll be sure to include the dlls by default.

michael x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2011 05:53
hockeykid you should get award for this. you have done so much for fpsc and now this for agk. now I might buy agk because of this. if so i will get both. I appreciate this and all you have done for fpsc. thank you so much. great work. you are a valued member in my book.I think the price is perfect.

more than what meets the eye

Welcome to SciFi Summer
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 23rd Dec 2011 21:11
Impressive app Hockeykid. Super useful too!

Brian.

!retupmoc eht ni deppart m'I !pleH

BraindeaD
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi all,
I'm testing the spriteme application before buy it. It works really well with the FPSC models I own but, when I import a complete scenery in dbo format (universe.dbo file) I don't know how import the complete world texture and lighmaps. Am I doing something wrong? Is this a limitation of the demo version or is this a non-supported feature?
Anybody knows if the other program of the pack (model-2-sprite) can do it (import a FPSC's universe.dbo file with textures and lightmaps)?
Thanks in advance.

Regards
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Hi all,
I'm testing the spriteme application before buy it. It works really well with the FPSC models I own but, when I import a complete scenery in dbo format (universe.dbo file) I don't know how import the complete world texture and lighmaps. Am I doing something wrong? Is this a limitation of the demo version or is this a non-supported feature?
Anybody knows if the other program of the pack (model-2-sprite) can do it (import a FPSC's universe.dbo file with textures and lightmaps)?
Thanks in advance.

Regards"

The universe.dbo uses MANY textures, luckily the .dbo format retains the path to the textures and can auto load them. A simple solution would be to load the universe.dbo object directly from the FPSC "Files\levelbank\testlevel" folder, the universe.dbo should then be able to automatically load and apply its textures.

Sean

BraindeaD
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Hockeykid,
it's exactly I'm doing, but all I get is the universe.dbo model without textures. I'm using the demo of the first post, could this affect?
Thanks.
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2012 09:08
I purchased this for mobile apps. I haven't used it yet but I definitely will do so.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code . . . reminds me….. if I had one more brain cell, I could have a synapse! woo hoo, Sparky!

~I'm the Terry of the Flatlands.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 21:49:08
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 21:49:08