Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Showcase / [X9] Project: Derelict

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2011 08:04 Edited at: 15th Sep 2011 23:00
Project: Derelict

Developer: TheVoxyn (me!)

Hi, all. I'm new to the forums, and slightly less new to FPSC. I've made lots of total LUUULN00b maps and the like, but now I've put forth some effort to make something halfway decent to get some constructive criticism on. So, this is my verrrry first attempt at actually making something good with FPSC.

I call this little project... well, Project: Derelict.

(I hope this passes for a storyline!) The year is 2062. Mankind has made great strides in space travel, allowing it to become more mainstream and available to Earth citizens. You're a private investigator working for the United Earth Protectorate. You've been contracted to investigate the cause of communication loss between the corporation CargoTrans, Inc. and one of its smaller cargo vessels. The job seems simple enough. But things never work out that way, do they?

Nowwww I know there's bugs... a LOT of bugs. Enemies get stuck, some enemies are solid black, texture glitches, etc... there's even a really huge bug where it seems you can't get past level 3, because the instant you spawn in level 4 (there's supposed to be 5 levels) you die. I... I have absolutely no idea how to fix it. I was at my wit's end, so I decided to just put it up as is. I'm mainly looking for criticism on level design and lighting... stuff like that. I hope I did everything by the book! Tell me if I didn't, I'll rectify whatever may be wrong.

I seriously hope these screenshots work! lol.

And finally...

Download link: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=IGFBM3W5

Edit: Oh dear, I forgot to mention it's an x9 game in the title... :S

Who's a noob to FPSC? Thissss guyyyy
Kilgore
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2011 18:41 Edited at: 15th Sep 2011 18:43
Hi

I liked the captions that came up to provide feedback/reactions. The level design seemed fine to me, but I think having more custom textures in the game would help to make it stand out and provide more visual interest.

I also found I hit a runtime error sometimes when loading a previously saved game. This pretty much stopped me progressing. Not sure whether updating to the latest version (if you aren't on it already) might address that...maybe something worth looking into? Maybe it was just my set up.
RAXMUX Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2011 20:15
There is some rules in this board (see link) http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=143014&b=35

If you don't follow them your thread will be locked by a mod.

Just call me Raxmux
TheVoxyn
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks, Kilgore. I just upgraded to 1.18 so hopefully that weird runtime error thing is gone. And Raxmux, I think the only thing I didn't do was underline in bold and center my project title... well, the screenshots, too. I've been fiddling around trying to get them to appear as actual images and not LINKS to images, but I can't seem to figure it out lol. I'll try again, though.

TheVoxyn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2011 22:50 Edited at: 15th Sep 2011 22:56
Edit: Whoa, sorry. I didn't mean to double post. It kind of just of did it on its own.

RAXMUX Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2011 23:12
You have to upload your images to some site like imageshack or somthing then copy the link. Click on the image button over the smileys and enter the copied adress. It should work for you

Quote: "Who's a noob to FPSC? Thissss guyyyy"

Every pro (even Bill Gates) has been a n00b in the begining

Just call me Raxmux
TheVoxyn
Years of Service
User Offline
I think I fixed the screenshots now. Just have to wait for post mod to go through.

Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2011 23:27
Quote: "Every pro (even Bill Gates) has been a n00b in the begining "

But now mr. Gates is great with FPS Creator, such an amazing design and awesome lightmapping.

The screens don't look like something that would really catch my attention, but they're actually not that bad for someone who calls themself a noob.
And I'm bored anyway and this looks like I could run it on my laptop... I will try tomorrow (it's very late here) if I can.

TheVoxyn
Years of Service
User Offline
Hahahaha thanks, Devil. I'm getting better, that's for sure. And that'd be great!

born for game
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice work.It is a good story.Thanks for the download link.

3Bit
Years of Service
User Offline
Story is like a straight rip from Dead Space lol.

Nice pics.

3Bit
The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2011 08:18
Quote: "because the instant you spawn in level 4 (there's supposed to be 5 levels) you die."
That happens sometimes when (for unknown reasons) the engine doesn't recognize the player starting marker as "legally placed" and kind of drops the player into the level.

Just try to add some segments and change the starting markers location.

In case you find my grammar and spelling weird ---> native German speaker ^^
Desecrated Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2011 22:37
There is only one thing i can say:

Add Custom Media.

Such as model packs, stuff from the community, stuff in the store, etc. It will add so much more to your game!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 08:35:35
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 08:35:35