Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Can i use 2 Libs?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey guys,

i recently found allegro graphics library and it's pretty good.

But now i need to make a bullet movement, just a simple 4 ways shooting on top down view, but i dont know how in allegro.

So im thinking using DarkGDK.

Can i use the DarkGDK and Allegro at same time?

C++ Medium 3.5/5
VB6 Advanced: 4/5
VB.NET Advanced: 4/5
Mr Bigglesworth
Years of Service
User Offline
It's possible, but probably a bit hard.
vitinho444
Years of Service
User Offline
well yes.. because DarkGDK need to install the things and stuff...

and Allegro just has 3 dll's in same directory and that's all..

Thanks

C++ Medium 3.5/5
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2011 07:20
They might be incompatible altogether, but it depends on how Allegro draws to the screen.

Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
DarkGDK uses DirectX as renderer.
Alegro gives you DirectX compatible based library.

Conclusion: Yes, it is possible to merge them.

Tip: Use a new thread when using alegro, meaning your DarkGDK - "engine", is appart from the Alegro - "engine" and hold a function or a class to link the "events". (Example: Game UI)

WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2011 00:28
@vitinho444 - I also looked into the Allegro library a while ago. What caught me was the mass amount of 2D support it did have. After a while of faffing about, and I didn't know enough of programming a pc then, I couldn't get them both to work together. I recently learned that Allegro uses HDC's for it primitive drawing capabilities, whether they can be mixed with GDK is another thing, I do not know.

However, all the stuff DBPro has, ie it's plugins such as Matrix1, Advanced2D, etc, I have come to like whilst using DBPro to test various stuff. I've recently switched over to Pure GDK, which is a little fiddlier to setup in Visual Studio C++ than Dark GDK, but, and the big but, is it does give you access to all those plugins that you 'just cannot' access from Dark GDK.

I can now access Advanced2D, D3DFunc, Matrix1, BlitzTerrain, the lot...

I will say it again, it is "fiddly" to set up, but worth it if you have the patience...

Warning! May contain Nuts!
vitinho444
Years of Service
User Offline
well... i stoped for 10 minutes and i began to think:

"I dont understand s**t about DX and D3d, i dont understand nothing about OpenGL... Allegro doesnt support many thing that i can make a completely 2D Game (else than platformer), SMFL is just too easy but same as allegro more or less...After all ... there are almost no choices that i can use for making games..."

With this im not trying to find the easier way to make games, but the best to be learned from scratch! I think allegro is super cool and easy but when i tried to make a 2d top shooter (i love this games =D) i dont figured out to make the bullet movement and the enemys movent, even if the bullet was 4 way movement... i just cant make it work dont know why

Thanks a lot who supported me and i wait for replies.

C++ Medium 3.5/5
WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2011 23:34
DBPro and GDK give you the 2d/3d engine at your disposal. Whether you're learning Basic or C++, at least you can practice as you go along. These forums and google have given me tons of answers.

Instead of throwing yourself in the deep end and writing a game without understanding, try taking a step back and try each part first separately. ie, write the code to scroll the background in one program. Write a program to test bullet movements and firing. And another program to test movements for baddies.

Once you have got them figured out, then throw it all together. Usually re-writing and making it better. I still do it that way.

Warning! May contain Nuts!
Mr Bigglesworth
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "With this im not trying to find the easier way to make games, but the best to be learned from scratch!"

If you want to learn how to make games from scratch, DirectX/OpenGL and C++ is the way to go. Or if you REALLY want to, program a custom renderer
Hawkblood
Years of Service
User Offline
@vitinho444
How much experience do you have? Do you understand the coordinate system (both relative and absolute)? This is an absolute necessity even with 2D games.

Everything a beginner programmer needs for a 2D (or 3D) game is in DGDK. Once you understand programming more, move on to better graphics, better sounds, and better AI by getting add-ons or making them yourself. Using add-ons before you understand programming is going to be frustrating and ultimately cause you to stop trying.

I don't know the answer to your original question, but I thought I would share my feelings on the subject of using something more complicated when you can't use something less complicated.

The fastest code is the code never written.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 15:51:46
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 15:51:46