Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / iOS AGK Player?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Is there any update or estimate on when Apple will approve the iOS player? It's the whole reason I pre-bought AppGameKit and I'm getting a bit frustrated.

Thanks
Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2011 21:20
Yes, frustrated. I imagine the folks at TGC are very frustrated as well, having to adapt to whatever rules/procedures Apple is coming up with. I guess this is new territory for all involved.

But... AppGameKit games *are* appearing on the iTunes store! So, there's plenty of hope!

MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
It will take a few weeks till they can come up wirth something different. In the mean time, can't you build the player yourself? A lot of us OSX folks did that.
Skyser5
Years of Service
User Offline
Unfortunately my Mac skills are minimal to say the least--part of why I am looking forward to AGK--so no building the player on my own... :-(
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Different? Does that mean the players have failed validation? I haven't seen any news at all about the players for weeks.

MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes, I think 2 weeks ago it was mentioned. Apple never liked it when code was downloaded from somewhere and wasn't shipped with an app. So they trying to come up with something different.
DaveP
Years of Service
User Offline
I have a question - what if TGC took our source and did the final iOS compile (obviously, for sales on their site only). I gather that would fulfill Apple's requirements, we'd get our apps out, and hopefully earn enough to warrant the whole Apple tool chain. The only issue is security of source code - but I'm sure the community and TGC could agree on some arrangement.

Is anyone else interested in this option? Or, can anyone suggest another way that gets our mac apps into the store without buying a mac, etc.?
Deion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2011 02:50
you know if tgc got a enerprise account at apple they could compile it and host it themselves. only issue is that people would have to put the cert on ther ephone, not to hard though to do .. and second problem, they app ould only work for a year , theyd have to update it every year. also not to big a deal..

Cheers,
Deion G.
MobileCreator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2011 04:07
Keep in mind that the problem is not send apps build with AppGameKit to AppStore. I believe there is at least one developer other than TGC that has his game approved and available at AppStore.

So the whole problem with the player is allowing developers that doesn't have a Mac or a Apple developer account to easily test in his own iOS device.

That said, for those who don't have access to Apple platform, for now the only alternative is developing his app on PC and testing that way. If TGC cannot make the player available on AppStore at all, you still can:

- Jailbreak your iOS device and get the player installed there. This is not illegal, but requires some annoying procedures to get it done. In theory, if someone has the AppGameKit Player IPA file, it could be installed in a jailbroken device fairly easy.
- Get a Mac and a Apple developer account. Easier but very expensive $$$ alternative for those who were waiting for TGC to publish their games.

I didn't know the enterprise account alternative, and I just checked that it cost $299/year, so it is not a bad alternative at all. Maybe TGC should do that if the player gets rejected again. Even with a small fee, I'd be willing to pay for the privilege to get my iOS devices listed in such enterprise account (Although I wouldn't pay more than $5 per device )

Maybe a good business model would be one year included when buying AppGameKit, and a small fee for renewal.

Maybe TGC could save even more time/money fighting with Apple using this alternative. Or maybe after I click Post on this message, I'll see the player is approved

----------
Paulo
http://www.mobilecreators.com
halley
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2011 05:27
Is there any official developer who see this thread? can u give an answer about the agk player for IOS?

give my best
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2011 11:03
We are still working on the new solution. Lee is picking up on this now that he's back from IDF. We're hoping to have something ready for submission by the end of this week.

Rick

Financial Director
TGC Team
pinete
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,
I really like very much App Game Kit, I think it's great, still very young, but with a lot of potential.

However, I have to say re the iOS player, that is something TGC people should know and research long time ago in order to avoid promising something they cannot accomplish, whatever the reason was.

More than a month after the release, a 'standard' user (I'm talking about a non advanced one) continues without having the chance to see how works his game in a iOS platform, what in fact, is a serious issue, as it negates frontally the main sentence AppGameKit uses to autopromote "Write Once, deploy everywhere".

Sadly I cannot "deploy everywhere" easyness. Sorry. I only can deploy into my PC/laptop, using a language with a lot of lacks at the moment, as it is focused mainly for mobile devices.

Really I'm a little disapointed with all this matter of iOS player. I hope it will be solved soon.

Best.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Pinete, remember that AppGameKit is not only Tier1.
There are people like me who are only interested in Tier2, so AppGameKit is all fine for us!
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2011 16:33
@pinete we hear you loud and clear. We were only able to submit the player once AppGameKit we completed. That was rejected and so we appealed and failed. Now we are making a new solution. We are working really hard to ensure this happens as quickly as possible.

Rick

Financial Director
TGC Team
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
I wonder, is the bada platform proving as tricky? I don't have a mobile device to test with yet but was thinking bada for economy reasons. But I will wait until I hear it is operational before thinking of investing in a phone.

pinete
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks bjadams and RickV,

I'm so sorry to say that, I would like to insist, APP Game Kit is great, so please, don't take me wrong. Just share honestly what I think as a user who paid for the license, and beyond the command set, the capabilities, wishes and some other considerations, key problem is deployment.

I understand the situation very well, and it's very umconfortable for both sides, developer and users.

I appreciate so much your direct and concise answer Rick, the only thing I can do is wish you all the best of lucks and say "Go for it!" waiting your success in this matter.

best!
malospam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2011 00:01
I bought it at the beginning right away for iOS game making, only to find the documentation outdated and written for iOS 3.X . Now I'm stuck. I can't even get people to take money to write a tutorial on using Xcode 4 with AGK.......

maker of iphone/ipad games
MobileCreator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2011 02:47
Hey Rick

how about the Enterprise account Deion mentioned. Isn't it less complicated at this point or at least as a workaround?

Cheers

----------
Paulo
http://www.mobilecreators.com
Skyser5
Years of Service
User Offline
Any further word? Did TGC re-submit?
MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2011 22:03 Edited at: 28th Sep 2011 07:50
The are working on it, testing the new version atm. And they said that they will have something when Rick comes back from Elements 2011.
Neuro
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Now I'm stuck. I can't even get people to take money to write a tutorial on using Xcode 4 with AGK......."

I'm able to use AppGameKit fine with Xcode 4. What exactly do you need a tutorial for?
Skyser5
Years of Service
User Offline
I am at my wits end, and about to demand a refund for AGK.

First, I was expecting to be able to download the AppGameKit player and test apps that way.

Then, when it became apparent that Apple rejected it (for shame, TGC, releasing the product before it worked as advertised), I have tried to build the AppGameKit player myself on the Mac using XCode (exactly the tool I wanted to avoid by using SGK). I have followed Lee Bamber's video tutorial on how to do this--from a pristine Mac--3 times!, and it continues to fail to build--spitting out code-signing errors. I have deleted all certificates and keys and gone through the steps EXACTLY in the order of the tutorial and IT DOES NOT WORK.

I am beyond frustrated and would not recommend AppGameKit to anyone at this point.
Skyser5
Years of Service
User Offline
After figuring out on my own to change the code signing Identity in the Project Settings _and_ in the Build target settings AND changing the application Identifier in the Info.plist and I think one other place I can finally get it to _compile_. (Nowhere does it tell you to do any of this).

However: I now get a bunch of warnings of the 'Backslash-newline at end of line' sort and the build message is "Failed to upload" AppGameKit player.

Any help guys?

FYI: I am running XCode in 3.2 compatibility mode
malospam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2011 16:37
Neuro it was basically to convert the written tutorial from xcode 3 to xcode 4 because the interfaces don't match, not even close. Mike Johnson helped me get around so I could do a test in the simulator, which I'm happy with right now until I'm finished. I was frustrated because I had a professional artist do the artwork, and had someone do the AI also so I put alot of effort into it. Hopefully things will get clearer within the next couple of weeks.

maker of iphone/ipad games
JRNTexas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2011 08:46
I appreciate RickV's direct answer and understanding of the issue.

Quote: "@pinete we hear you loud and clear."

I've used TGC's products for years and have always felt that the product was better built than most alternatives on the market. The App Game Kit is a great approach to rapid development.

If someone has compiled the player, can it be made available for everyone here?
chunks chunks
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2011 12:47
no because it needs to be code signed if its not code signed you would need a jailbroken device.

you can get someone with a apple dev licence and give them your device id and they can compile it for you .

chunks

nvidia geforce 9500gt + amd athlon 64
windows vista ultimate.
Skyser5
Years of Service
User Offline
I now have the player working on my iPad. The final piece of the puzzle was to reboot my Mac.

I'm psyched to get developing on this, but I have to say to TGC: it was a lousy initial experience and you almost lost me there. I imagine you will lose others who have lower frustration levels.
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2011 20:12 Edited at: 8th Oct 2011 18:17
If anyone reading this has hit a layer of frustration getting/waiting for the iOS AppGameKit Player, please email me at lee@thegamecreators.com as I am testing a new system to put a beta version of the player on your iOS device for testing purposes. It means you will have access to test builds rather than final stable releases, but it will mean you have the earliest access to any fixes we make too. If you are interested in ending your iOS frustration, email me and we'll see what we can do. We want you to be the opposite of frustrated For legals, just visit the Apple Developer site and register as Apple require you to be a registered developer at: http://developer.apple.com/programs/register/ (don't worry, it's free)

I drink tea, and in my spare time I write software.
Impetus73
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2011 20:26
Will you do the same with android AppGameKit Player? I'm ready to be alpha/beta testing it with my 3 devices. Galaxy Tab original, Galaxy Tab 10.2, Galaxy S II

----------------
AGK user - novice
Did Amiga / AMOS programming in the 90's, just started programming again with AGK.
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2011 18:18
The Android should not have as many barriers, and should just be a case of installing the APK we provide with each build

I drink tea, and in my spare time I write software.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 05:40:54
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 05:40:54