Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / Making Gauges and Meters...?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2003 00:52
Hi guys,

I am making a cockpit and have checked out several other cockpits from commercial products as Microsoft Flight Simulator and Laminar Research X-Plane.
Both these products have made a bitmap of the main instrument, but left the needles and indications out.
How can I make gauges and moving needles?
Should I use a backdrop BMP like in the two sims above, but then what should I do to show the actual indicator, e.g. needle?

Yskonyn -
"It's better to wish down here you were up, then to wish up there you were down."
"The ONLY time you have too much fuel on board is when you are on fire."
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
If it's for DB Classic there's a good example of these guages in the demo called Jetski.

Basically it is a plain that has an image textured to it with black as transparent. The needle is similar, and it rotates behind the first plain.

Pincho.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2003 10:52
An easy way, if you have a modelling package, is to make a plane with its origin at one end of the plane rather than the middle. Then position that plane at the center of the gauge. The reason for having the plane's origin at the end rather than the middle is for when it rotates.
Yskonyn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2003 22:25
Yes I see, that's what I figured.
Thanks!

Yskonyn -
"It's better to wish down here you were up, then to wish up there you were down."
"The ONLY time you have too much fuel on board is when you are on fire."
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2003 00:45 Edited at: 2nd Nov 2003 00:45
In DBPro If you are using a .bmp for the cockpit you can do the needles with sprites which can then be turned around it's offset with the rotate sprite command.

Pneumatic Dryll

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 17:03:32
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 17:03:32